Rerolling rare items

pncwd

Diabloii.Net Member
Rerolling rare items

Well you can always tell when I start to confuse myself, cause I come here to ask the questions. LOL

So here is where i'm confused now,
I know 6 pskulls + soj reroll recipe keeps the same ilvl on the rare, also the plain 6 pskull recipe will cut the ilvl of the rare down according to the clvl you use. I cant remember the formula right off, and that part really doesn't matter for me right now, but

What I am trying to do is take a pair of normal rare boots found on hell lvl baal and reroll to get them to a point they no longer change thier ilvl, but the goal is not just that, it is also to get them to the lvl in which I can get just the mods I am wanting. Here is that list,

prefixes
resistances +20 and below (rq lvl 9 and ilvl 12)
e defence +40% and below (rq lvl 6 and ilvl 9)
suffixes
moving speed 10% frw only (rq lvl 8 and ilvl 12)
hit recovery 10% fhr only (rq lvl 3 and ilvl 5)

As you have now figured out it is all LLD affixes, so the ilvl basically needs to get down around 12-13 but not much more. How does that affect the alvl for the item. Also if the pair of boots is ilvl 99 to start with what lvl character do I need to use, when rerolling with the plain 6 pskull recipe, to get down to where I am only getting the affixes that I am looking for.

If by using a pair of boots dropped by hell baal is to highan ilvl to get that low then at what lvl do I need to get the boots and what character lvl do I need to use in order to have the best chance at getting just the affixes that I am seeking.

Ps. I understand how all this programing of the game is figured, the only problem that I am have is when I start trying to figure all this I never come up with the right answer, So that is why i ask you speciality guys to figure the math out for me, please.
 

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
uzziah said:
Rare item rerolling recipes

There are 2 recipes for rerolling rares. Both I consider expensive. One of which I have never been able to try due to not having the ingredients.

1 pskull, 1 SOJ, 1 rare item = 1 rare item; ilvl = 0.6 ilvl + 0.6 clvl
6 pskulls, 1 rare item = 1 rare item; ilvl = 0.4ilvl +0.4clvl

These recipes have there limits. The 6 pskull recipe after about 5 iterations will take the ilvl to 0.66 your characters level rounded down.

This can be used in your favor. Say you wish to have an ilvl of 1 you can mule the pskulls, the item you wish to be at ilvl and a cube to a newly made character. Within 30 pskulls you have a ilvl 1 item. But, why would you want to do that? See the section on hard to get staffmods and it will explain why.

On the other hand the 1 skull 1 SOJ recipe will not always increase the ilvl of the item. In fact the function is quite odd. Take for example a ilvl 20 rare, if you have a clvl of 13 or less you end up lowering the ilvl of the rare. If you have a clvl of 60 your ilvl will max out at ilvl=90. So one general rule, the recipe will max out at 1.5 times the clvl value. This means constant rerolling with the pskull, SOJ recipe should be done with a character that is 2/3 the level of the desired ilvl range.

again knowing how this formula works can control what ilvl the rare you create will be.

Over all rerolling rares can be expensive, so much so that most beginner players don’t consider doing it. Even experienced players avoid relying on it. It can be the only way to get certain combinations of affixes and staffmods though which makes for an ideal use of this type of reroll (I will explain in the staffmod section). Like drops however, it is all a matter of luck. A simple equation for estimating amount of gems needed to reroll a specific affix is 3 * (the denominator of the chance to spawn a specific affix) = #of gems provided that the alvl will be high enough for that affix.
This may help unconfuse you a bit.
 

pncwd

Diabloii.Net Member
Uzziah said:
This may help unconfuse you a bit.
well using that formula, (here I go again LOL)
then my clvl is the only thing that should matter. If I have a ilvl 99 pair of boots then by the 5th or 6th roll using a clvl 18 character whould net me some where around a ilvl 12 pair of boots.
Will the alvl be affected, or will it still be higher due to the fact that the boot were orignally ilvl 99.
 

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
What I am trying to do is take a pair of normal rare boots found on hell lvl baal and reroll to get them to a point they no longer change thier ilvl, but the goal is not just that, it is also to get them to the lvl in which I can get just the mods I am wanting. Here is that list,

prefixes
resistances +20 and below (rq lvl 9 and ilvl 12)
enhanced defence +40% and below (rq lvl 6 and ilvl 9)
suffixes
moving speed 10% frw only (rq lvl 8 and ilvl 12)
hit recovery 10% fhr only (rq lvl 3 and ilvl 5)
prefix, mod, alvl, rlvl
Jade, Poison Resist +(21-30)%, 18, 13, (one of 4 they are the same)
Glorious, (41-50)% Enhanced Defense, 19, 14
of Pacing, 10% Faster Run/Walk, 12, 8
of Balance, 10% Faster Hit Recovery, 5, 3

Okay now we pick the highest alvl and rlvl
Glorious, 19, 14

Next we work the alvl backwards to get the ilvl needed, maybe an ilvl 1 could be used with the right qlvl.

hammerman said:
If (ilvl>99) then {ilvl=99}
if (qlvl>ilvl) then {ilvl=qlvl}
if (magic_lvl>0) then {alvl=ilvl+magic_lvl}
else
{
if (ilvl<(99-qlvl/2))
then {alvl=ilvl-qlvl/2}
else {alvl=2*ilvl-99}
}
If (alvl>99) then {alvl=99}
Just find the qlvl of your boots and work through this equation until you get an ilvl >19 and say <21.

Since boots start having a level requirement of 24 with demonhide boots I assume you will be looking at greaves.

Greaves qlvl 27 according to the affix calculator.

so assume ilvl controls and ilvl<99-qlvl/2:

alvl = ilvl - qlvl/2

19 = ilvl - 27/2 (27/2 rounded down = 13)

19+13 = ilvl

32 = ilvl

so using the reroll recipe calculations you need a clvl of:

32*3/2 for the 6 pskull recipe = 48 so go with 49
32/1.5 for the pskull soj recipe = 21.33 so go with 22

So if you want to reroll for this rare use a clvl 49 character with the 6 pskull recipe or a clvl 22 character for the pskull soj recipe, and by all means only use normal boots as exceptional and elite boots will over shoot the rlvl you are looking for.

It should take ~5 rerolls to get you in the ilvl range no matter what ilvl of boot you use.

Edit: my sources affix calculator
D2Data an affix info page
 

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
If you want a rare with those affixes, why not just gamble Boots like mad with a clvl 18 character or so?
 

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz said:
If you want a rare with those affixes, why not just gamble Boots like mad with a clvl 18 character or so?
True that would be much much cheaper.

Oh and I see you want the next lower affixes so replace the alvl in my work with 12 and rework it to see where you need to be ilvl wise.

I get ilvl 25 by my math. so you would have to gamble with a clvl 30 character to be sure to get what you want, with a high enough ilvl. since gambles are clvl-5/+4 or was it clvl-4/+5 I can never remember that one.
 

pncwd

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz said:
If you want a rare with those affixes, why not just gamble Boots like mad with a clvl 18 character or so?
As far as gambling, well you would only be able to gamble like one pair at a time with a clvl 18 do to the amount of gold it cost to gamble boots. Well you might get a couple pair out of it, but its not like a clvl 9x that has like 2.x mill to gamble with.

Uzziah said:
so assume ilvl controls and ilvl<99-qlvl/2:

alvl = ilvl - qlvl/2

19 = ilvl - 27/2 (27/2 rounded down = 13)

19+13 = ilvl

32 = ilvl

so using the reroll recipe calculations you need a clvl of:

32*3/2 for the 6 pskull recipe = 48 so go with 49
32/1.5 for the pskull soj recipe = 21.33 so go with 22
well the figures you used were good for a lvl 18 LLD boots, but I am looking for the lvl 9 LLD boots, all the same I pluged in the numbers and was able to come up with

boots = clvl of 20
heavy boots = clvl of 22
chain boots = clvl of 38
light plated boots = clvl of 43

what I used was the highest alvl for the mods I wanted, which was resistances with an alvl of 12, and the qlvls of each boot. So if I figured it correctly the above numbers should be right.

The calculater that you recomended helps but I dont think that it accounts for the repeative reroll. ie the drop in the ilvl of the item after more than one reroll.
 

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
pncwd said:
As far as gambling, well you would only be able to gamble like one pair at a time with a clvl 18 do to the amount of gold it cost to gamble boots. Well you might get a couple pair out of it, but its not like a clvl 9x that has like 2.x mill to gamble with.
A lot more than "a couple" of pairs, actually.

A level 18 character can hold 280k gold and a pair of Boots costs about 4000 gold to gamble at that stage (maybe a bit more, but definately less than 5000). I take 4000 as example. That would mean 70 pairs with a full stash/inventory of gold.

And all of those that spawn with "of Thawing" (very common at this stage), you can sell back for at least 2800, and "of Frost Shield" sells for at least 4000, so it will be more than 70 pairs in practice.
 

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Questionable

jiansonz said:
A lot more than "a couple" of pairs, actually.

A level 18 character can hold 280k gold and a pair of Boots costs about 4000 gold to gamble at that stage (maybe a bit more, but definately less than 5000). I take 4000 as example. That would mean 70 pairs with a full stash/inventory of gold.

And all of those that spawn with "of Thawing" (very common at this stage), you can sell back for at least 2800, and "of Frost Shield" sells for at least 4000, so it will be more than 70 pairs in practice.
Yeah, boots. Maybe heavy boots, might even add chain boots into it, but not light plated boots or greaves. I'm not sure what he's gambling/rerolling but it seems like it's for ULLD and whatever a CLvl18 can gamble for isn't good enough.

BTW, it's a definite waste of a decent pair of ILvl99 boots (as well as the skulls) to reroll them all the way down that far. Makes better sense magic-finding until a rare pair drop in an area high enough for the base type, then rerolling once or twice to get them down to RLvl9 or so. What kind are you looking for, greaves?
 

pncwd

Diabloii.Net Member
Ax2Grind said:
Yeah, boots. Maybe heavy boots, might even add chain boots into it, but not light plated boots or greaves. I'm not sure what he's gambling/rerolling but it seems like it's for ULLD and whatever a CLvl18 can gamble for isn't good enough.

BTW, it's a definite waste of a decent pair of ILvl99 boots (as well as the skulls) to reroll them all the way down that far. Makes better sense magic-finding until a rare pair drop in an area high enough for the base type, then rerolling once or twice to get them down to RLvl9 or so. What kind are you looking for, greaves?
any of the low requirment boots
boots
heavy boots
chain boots
light plated boots
maybe greaves, but i think that I would have trouble putting those str rq boots on.

It is for a LLD lvl 9 or 10
 

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Ah

pncwd said:
any of the low requirment boots
boots
heavy boots
chain boots
light plated boots
maybe greaves, but i think that I would have trouble putting those str rq boots on.

It is for a LLD lvl 9 or 10
Without Simplicity/Ease or strength affixes available on boots the best you could do would be -10 from requirements in a pair of ethereals. Since they can only be found, not gambled, then either get lucky with an imbue from the appropriate level character (CLvl8 is minimum level for quest five in act one) on a non-magical pair of ethereal greaves or drop down to a lower type. It depends on your absolute limit with +stats and what type of character you're making.

What's the base strength (highest you want to go with stat points) and +stat mods on gear you plan to use so far?
 

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
pncwd said:
The calculater that you recomended helps but I dont think that it accounts for the repeative reroll. ie the drop in the ilvl of the item after more than one reroll.
That affix calculator does one roll, and you can figure out the ilvl for it with a second in excel so it's not an issue, also you can solve for the limit fairly quickly so you can get that .666 and 1.5 amounts really easily, from the formula.

Otherwise your numbers look about right for what you are looking for, if you want a melee lld I suggest not being so concerned with the strength as you will need it elsewhere as well.
 

pncwd

Diabloii.Net Member
Uzziah said:
That affix calculator does one roll, and you can figure out the ilvl for it with a second in excel so it's not an issue, also you can solve for the limit fairly quickly so you can get that .666 and 1.5 amounts really easily, from the formula.

Otherwise your numbers look about right for what you are looking for, if you want a melee lld I suggest not being so concerned with the strength as you will need it elsewhere as well.
Thanks for the info. It has been rather helpful, and I will be using that affix calc more often now that I have it saved in my favs. LOL just never did it before.
 
Top