Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

rerolling and ar questions

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by uncountednose, Sep 24, 2006.

1. uncountednose

uncountednose IncGamers Member

rerolling and ar questions

so i've recently learned that dexterity to increase ar is a poor solution and i dont want to sacrifice my ammy and ring spots to increase ar w/ angelic set so ive resigned myself to filling up my inventory w/ ar charms. but i find trying to straight mf them is a little tedious. so ive decided to try rerolling.
    -the question that i have is i want to get good mods when rerolling so i want high ilvl charms but how can i tell if its high level?

-if i get the charm in a lvl 85 area will it definately be high ilvl or is that random?

-should i just check the existing modifiers against arreat summit as a guide?

-ive also heard of a third party program used to mule in sp that can check ilvl on the realms(probably not something i want to do).

-is there a preferred method(by preferred i mean easy).

-and is there an easier way to increase ar w/o sacrificing item slots?

-going w/ base dexterity on a barb what kind of ar do i need to consistently hit high def monsters?

more questions coming soon

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

+ar charms don't need a high ilvl (it's 49 for 118-132 ar GCs), so it's not that important. BTW, you shouldn't reroll charms for that affix, but enter nightmare act 3 or higher games for them. You will find more GCs than pgems to reroll them. Rerolling is better made with the highest ilvl GC you have, hoping for popular skillers with a good additional mod.

The ilvl of an item is equal to the level of the monster which dropped it. For regular monsters it's the area level, for champions it's higher by 2 and for bosses and their minions it's higher by 3. The mods of a charm of unknown origin just tell you what its minimum ilvl is, as affixes with a lower affix level are just as probable as those with one close to its ilvl.

In single player you can use ATMA to check the ilvl, as well as muling stuff and, most important, using the drop calculator which is accurate for bnet play as well. The link is in my sig.

You don't just need ar, you also need a high level in comparison to the enemy to be good at hitting monsters because that's a part ot the to-hit calculation as well. See the Strategy Compendium for the formula. The link is in my sig as well.

My IK barb hasn't spent a single point for dex and he is good enough at hitting monsters. I can do solo Baal runs with him, for example. Apart from the IK set, he wears Ravenfrost, Metalgrid and a dual leech ring. Angelic rings+ammy are a cheap alternative and probably good enough for soloing all of the game, but I could afford the more expensive ring/amulet setup :grin: He wears a few +ar charms, but only those with other useful mods, else it's maxdmg and the good old elemental damage charms, to have a better chance against PIs.

3. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

There is no legit way to determine the ilvl of a particular charm on the realms. ATMA only works for non realm single player. Anything that could determine ilvl on the realms would put your CD Keys and Accounts at risk for banning.

4. mr hamster

mr hamster IncGamers Member

He's right...two of them at around lvl 70 give over 1500 AR, and they're easy to find too

And i've been meaning to ask...those damage charms, with mods like sanguinary and stuff that add like 1 or 2 to min/max dmg...why is their req lvl so high? I mean...does 1 or 2 dmg actually do you any good?

5. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

A combat mastery + at least 10 in a weapon mastery should be pretty much all you need. What skills are you using? If you are using a combat mastery and a combat skill, 2 or 3 +100 AR charms should be plenty, you could easily get one for a pgem in the trade forums. Also, are you a low level trying to kill things at a much higher level?

6. uncountednose

uncountednose IncGamers Member

you misunderstand my question. i have a char that is doing just fine a lvl 90 frenzy barb. right now he hits everything. i am so happy with him that i was going to go ahead and try the ubers with him. i got onto the barb forums and everyone seemed to be pretty unanimous that all the points i put in dex to bring his ar up are wasted and i should just throw on some ar charms instead.

i play non-ladder and i havent really seen anyone offering ar charms on the cheap.

the question is more referring to if i rebuild my char which is not really a certainty to me because right now the only things that kill him is iron maiden and being mobbed by particularly nasty boss groups(usually when someone puts a tp right in the middle of them) so i'm pretty happy with him.

but if i do rebuild him with base dex what kind of ar increase should be sufficient for hitting high lvl monsters(assuming i am also high lvl)?

on a side note is it just me that has an aversion to these base stat builds? they just seem wrong.