Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Request Information regarding Sorc. Abiilities...

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Bloodrapture, May 14, 2005.

1. Bloodrapture

Bloodrapture IncGamers Member

Request Information regarding Sorc. Abiilities...

My class of choice has always been the Barbarian. I've built Whirlwind Barbarians, Frenzy Barbarians, Berzerker Barbarians and Singer Barbarians. This is my first attempt at a Sorceress; indeed my first attempt at anything other than a Barbarian.

I've done quite a bit of research already (Yes, I read the stickied guides and looked at the past few months of archived posts. Not to mention visited several other sites.) yet I still have some questions that are unaswered.

I want to build a Sorceress that is not commonly used, which immediately ommited both the Meteorb and Frozen Orb builds. The place is crawling with those damn things. I do understand that they are popular because they are the most viable builds, but I still wanted to be something different; something challenging yet at the same time fun. I decided to create a Lightning Sorceress. Her magical abilities with Lightning will be devestating indeed, but Lightning Immune creatures is what is going to pose the entertainig challenge.

I play on the Ladder/USWest servers. I primarily play alone, strictly PvE, and since this is my first Sorceress, am going to be completely untwinked.

I. My first question is in regards to the importance of Vitality vs. Energy. I keep reading people sware by Vitality. Vitality being life, is the most important attribute, regardless of Class.

Does the same hold true for a 20 Telekenesis/Energy Shield Sorceress? If close to 80% of all inflicted damage is being taken directly from Mana, is health really that important? Would you suggest a Tele/ES Sorceress for PvM purposes over the use of a shield, or a raw damage build?

II. Warmth. Most builds I have read only have a single point invested into warmth. Do you feel the +30% Mana Regeneration rate significantly impacts your ability to continually cast spells? Would you consider investing 11 points into Warmth for +150%? Or would you suggest ommiting Warmth all together and simply drink rejuvination/mana/health potions like water?

III. Not many Lightning based builds invest points into thunderstorm (beyond 1); Why?

Please, be as detailed as possible with your response. I haven't played Diablo II in a LONG time and would like to enjoy my return to it as much as possible.

2. no2fakeshakes

no2fakeshakes IncGamers Member

both thunderstrom and warmth are one pt wonders such as battle command

3. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

1. For an Energy Shield sorceress Energy is more usefull than vitality....the problem with going untwinked is that you probably won't be able to prebuff Energy Shield to lvl 40 where it gets it's maximum level of absorb (95% I think). So you are probably going to need a mix of vitality and energy, more energy than vitality. Without Energy Shield it's almost always better to spend points in vitality because of the dangerous environments you'll face. If you are going to use ES try to get some more +skills....a Memory runeword staff is an excellent prebuff since it gives +3 Energy Shield/+3 Sorceress skill.

2. 1 Point in Warmth is mandatory in my opinion. The extra mana regeneration is sweet and it's only 1 point. More points is a bit tricky because you want tweak your damage spells as much as possible, especially with the huge commitment to ES/Telekinesis. I'd say keep it a 1 and try to get some +skills (very important for a sorceress).

Edit: Insight runeword on your merc can solve most of your mana issues...it gives lvl 12-17 Meditation aura and will greatly increase your mana regeneration, especially if you have a large mana pool. Definitely worth checking out.

3. Because it sucks!...If you maxed Thunderstorm+Lightning Mastery you'd still have a novelty skill...the damage just doesn't cut it. Perhaps if there were more than 1 bolt at a time but now it's just not worth it. Much better to spend your points in synergies for your main killing spell.

Good luck with your first sorceress, they are awesome! Also welcome to the forums:)

Edit: Mana burn monsters are extremely annoying/dangerous...1 hit from a mana burn boss/minion will take away all your mana no matter how much you have leaving you very vulnerable.

4. Bloodrapture

Thank you for the speedy response and going into the detail I requested Chimera; it is relly appreciated.

But you raised some more questions :D

Do you think Energyshield is needed for PvM? Could I get away with simply focusing on my syn's for as much damage as possible and simply kill everything (That isn't lightning immune) before it becomes a threat? Would I be better off investing in a shield (I hate shields, but I won't ommit it as an option, it's just unlikely that I will use one.). Or should I balance Energy and Vitality?

5. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

1. Energy Shield is not needed for PvM. It can be very nice but many sorceress builds do perfectly fine without it. It does give more safety but also decreases your offensive ability...

2. Yes... Fully synergised killer builds are viable...Blizzard/Chain Lightning/Meteor but of course struggle against immunes...unless you can get Infinity of course. A strong merc is pretty mandatory in such a build or leet teleport skills:)

3. Shields are a nice option, but I don't like them like you. Dex for block or all vita is an ongoing debate, and I see the advantages of both, but I like all vita. This could be because my sorceresses are mainly MF characters where you don't need the block as much...If you don't like shields then don't go for max block, it won't cripple your build:) Don't you use shields at all or just with no focus on block? The extra resists/+skill that a shield gives is very sweet.

4. If you go with ES then balance vita/energy with focus on energy.

6. Bloodrapture

Well Chimera, you are either an insomniac (like myself) or live in the other side of the world.

Either way, I appreciate your speedy replies.

Since you claim ES is not a necesity for PvM builds, I'll probably do without it and concentrate entirely on Chian Lightning as my main attack. Re-reading the Frozen Orb/Chain Lightning guide a few times has made me question my inital desire to go with a single skill tree. But if worst comes to worse, I'll just make a second Sorc.

Because this sorc is untwinkes, I'll probably end up with a shield to use its other advantages. Thank you for your help.

7. MoonUnit

MoonUnit IncGamers Member

Well i have a couple sorcies, a cl/orber, a pure orber, a pure light, and a melee titan sorc lol. Since it appears they you are going to be a pure light, I wouldn't sacrifice the 40 pts req to max both energy shield and telekinesis. 40 points into lightning, or mastery would be more effective than energy shield/telekinesis imo damage > tanking.

8. Bloodrapture

Please, share your information as well.

I was considering the 'Blizzard' rout, but decided there were quite a few of those around already.

If you were to compare your CL/Orb and your pure Light, which do you believe would have the upper hand in solo PvM play? Does investing in a second skill tree decrease your damage potential that much?

I'm assumeing the CL/Orber would have much more succes without a merc than a pure Lightning Sorcereess would.

Would you mind sharing a little more information about your Titan Sorceress?

9. MoonUnit

MoonUnit IncGamers Member

OK ill give it a go, My cl/orber is lvl 86 now, blows thru norm and nm with ease. She can handle hell pretty well except that her merc is a wuss, and duel immunes get pretty annoying. Well my cl/orb sorc is nl and has about +14 to skills, Lightning does 11K atm with mastery and cl maxed. Orb does 476-498 at lvl 34. Note that lightning is only lvl 18 base, and that she uses 2 light skillers plus anni.

My pure light sorc does 13K lightning @ lvl 31, But immunes are a pain. In my opinion, Going duel tree is the only way to effectively solo hell.

As for my Titan Melee Sorcie, I'm not sure what you want to know so ill just do a basic overview i guess. She uses IK set minus the helm, which is usually kira's when baaling and whatnot. She also uses angelic rings and ammy for the attack rating. Some stats are, Normal Damage: 2.4K-5.7K 2.7K ar. Enchanted (lvl 34 chant) she does 7K-11K damage. 11K ar. Guess the look of a sorc using ik armor and maul is worth the style points; I tend to get quite a few 'You screwed up your sorc and don't even know it' comments.

Ack started rambling, imo going duel tree doesn't really decrease your overall damage very much, but it does increase your ability to handle hell. And in answer to the question of how she does w/o a merc, she does just fine.

As an afterthought, most of my sorcies are pump vitality instead of energy, as i usually have around 800ish mana after my gear.

Sorry for the long post and I hope this is what you were asking for lol. :cool:

10. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Just to warn you, lightning based sorcs really shine when you put the +skills on. Untwinked, you may find a cl/orb sorc is a bit low on the damage side. A pure light sorc might give you the damage you want, however an untwinked merc might struggle with the immunes.

Don't let this totally discourage you. What this means, is that you will have to spend a lot of time in Nightmare and make sure you have some good equipment before you get to Hell.

Oh btw, since you're untwinked, you may wish to put 15-40 pts in energy, just so you don't get annoyed at your lack of mana in the early to mid game. Sorcs often ignore energy because their equipment takes care of it.