Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

REPOST: PVP Wind Druid by Æ’enris

Discussion in 'Druid' started by LemurSpirit, Jan 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LemurSpirit

LemurSpirit IncGamers Member

REPOST: PVP Wind Druid by Æ’enris

just a repost:

Introduction
    Anyone who has taken up arms against other players has surely felt the newfound power of many different warriors.
    You chase vainly after the fleeing paladins as he rains down the wrath of god from the heavens onto your weakened form, the mighty sorceress hurls balls of incredibly powerful scorching flame, or calls down an unnatural blizzard that destroys the defenes of even the hardiest warriors.
    The assassin, if you see her, pummels you with mechanical bolts of lightning, the lithe amazons hurl condesed bolts of charged energy at you and their javelins pierce with the force of a thunderstorm. All this is unnatural and goes against our very concept of nature.
    Even our brothers rain down vengeance from the sky and open volcanoes under our feet to incinerate us, our cause seems hopeless.
    And yet, as we stare out onto the battlefield from under our pelts, our giant grizzlys, rabid wolves, mighty spirits of nature and intelligent vines come to our call. Summoning storm winds to fortify you, and running to sure death, you approach these enemies, you flinch as their attacks streak towards you, expecting death to approach at any moment, you steel yourself for the inevitable......but you feel nothing.
    Confidence fills you, nature has come to your aid and given you a mighty shield, even the hulking warriors weilding ghostly swords seem like ants compared to your power. How could you have ever doubted Gaia?

The Basics
    Wind druids are probably the druid build most suited for pvp, of course this is argueable, and a lot rides on the player in control, but it is in my opinion at least.
    Against a good opponent you will not kill as fast as a templar or hammerdin, you won't be able to tank all the hits a barb can, your spells will not do damage in the tens of thousands or lower opponent's resistances, or even do unresistable damage. But the one thing you have is versatility, which many other classes lack, there is no class that can consitantly beat a wind druid.
    Once you get the hang of things, the only class that will really give you trouble is a good trapsin that uses mind blast often.
    Statistics
    Regardless of your future build, your druid will start with these stats.
    Strength: 15
    Dexterity: 20
    Vitality: 25
    Energy: 20
    Hit Points: 55
    Stamina: 84
    Mana: 20

When distributing stat points you will get these results.
    1 Vitality point gives 2 Life
    1 Vitality point gives 1 Stamina
    1 Energy point gives 2 Mana

You also gain a small boost to your stats every time you level.
    Life +1.5
    Stamina +1
    Mana +2

The faster hit recovery frames for a druid in human form are as follows.
    13 frame = 0%
    12 frame = 5%
    11 frame = 10%
    10 frame = 16%
    9 frame = 26%
    8 frame = 39%
    7 frame = 56%
    6 frame = 86%
    5 frame = 152%
    4 frame = 377%

Your block rates are.
    11 frame = 0%
    10 frame = 6%
    9 frame = 13%
    8 frame = 20%
    7 frame = 32%
    6 frame = 52%
    5 frame = 86%
    4 frame = 174%
    3 frame = 600%

I highly recommend maxing block, the formula for blocking is.
    Total Blocking = (Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)

As a character who focuses on spells, faster cast rate is very important.
    18 frames = base
    17 frames = 4%
    16 frames = 10%
    15 frames = 19%
    14 frames = 30%
    13 frames = 46%
    12 frames = 68%
    11 frames = 99%
    10 frames = 163%
    (note: With this build you will achieve 80%, if you feel the need to get an 11 frame cast rate then you need 19 more, but I don't recommend it, this can be achieved through a 19 faster cast rate crafted amulet, two 10% faster cast rings, a ring and a 10% ammy, or a helm with 20%+ fcr)

You receive 110 skill points to distribute if you reach level 99 and do all the quests.
    This build requires 105, so you should be done at level 94, from there I recommend points in Summon Grizzly.
    A Chippydips skill calculator is located here. (I do not advocate buying items online)
    Your main skill, Tornado, will do 5792-6086 unblockable physical damage at level 44 if you follow this build exactly, at a mana cost of 10 per cast.
    Your secondary skill, Hurricane, will do 2603-2718 cold damage in a 6 yard area following your movement, and last for fifty seconds at 30 mana per cast. And our Cyclone Armor will absorb 2891 elemental damage at 48 mana to cast.

The Items
    Weapon: 'Heart of the Oak' runeword Flail. Ko+Vex+Pul+Thul
    +3 To All Skills
    +40% Faster Cast Rate
    +75% Damage To Demons
    +100 To Attack Rating Against Demons
    Adds 3-14 Cold Damage, 3 sec. Duration (Normal)
    7% Mana Stolen Per Hit
    +10 To Dexterity
    Replenish Life +20
    Increase Maximum Mana 15%
    All Resistances +30-40 (varies)
    Level 4 Oak Sage (25 Charges)
    Level 14 Raven (60 Charges)
    +50% Damage To Undead
    Flail-type weapons are the only one handed ones this runeword will work with, and flail is the lowest requirement, since this is for a caster there is no point in making it in a knout or scourge, or even a superiour flail.
    (if you can't afford this weapon, Wizardspike Bone Knife is your best alternative, and before that Suicide Branch Burnt Wand, and The Spectral Shard Blade)

Shield: Stormshield Monarch, socketed with a -15% requirements, 15 resist all jewel.
    Chance to block on Druid - 67%
    + (3.75 Per Character Level) 3-371 Defense (Based On Character Level)
    +25% Increased Chance Of Blocking
    35% Faster Block Rate
    Damage Reduced By 35%
    Cold Resist +60%
    Lightning Resist +25%
    +30 To Strength
    Attacker Takes Lightning Damage of 10
    Indestructible
    At level 94, when this build is done, you will need 225 dexterity for max blocking with stormshield, I know this seems like a lot, but it means 3/4 of melee attacks miss you. I recommend stormshield because of the good resist, high defense, good blocking, and awesome 35% damage reduced, the strength bonus is good but not as important since it is the most strength intensive item in your gear.
    (alternative shields include 'Rhyme' Grim Shield Shael+Eth, Moser's Blessed Circle Round Shield, socketed with two perfect Diamonds or 'Um' runes, or Whitstan's Guard Round Shield from the Orphan's Call set, for very high and fast blocking)

Armor: 'Enigma' runeword Archon Plate. Jah+Ith+Ber.
    +2 To All Skills
    +45% Faster Run/Walk
    +1 To Teleport
    +750-775 Defense (varies)
    + (0.75 Per Character Level) +0-74 To Strength (Based On Character Level)
    Increase Maximum Life 5%
    Damage Reduced By 8%
    +14 Life After Each Kill
    15% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
    + (1 Per Character Level) +1-99% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (Based On Character Level)
    We use Enigma for the Teleport skill it grants, +2 skills, damage reduce, life increase, and other nice mods. Your dueling league or group may not allow teleport from Enigma, so just don't teleport, it's a great armor even without the tele.
    A lot of people prefer the simple Breast Plate to an Archon, because it's cheaper and requires less strength, they then use the +to str bonus to equip there other gear and spare themselves a few points.
    If you can't afford a three socket Archon Plate, then use Breast Plate or Light Plate, but this guide uses Archon as it's armor and the stat allocation reflects that.
    (Alternate armors include, from best to worst, Skin of The Vipermagi, Que-Hegan's Wisdom, and 'Stealth' (Tal+Eth) runeword light armor)

Helm: Harlequin Crest Shako, socketed with an 'Um' rune, or a rare jewel with resistance and fhr, damage to mana, or other mods you need.
    +2 To All Skills
    + (1.5 Per Character Level) 1-148 To Life (Based On Character Level)
    + (1.5 Per Character Level) 1-148 To Mana (Based On Character Level)
    Damage Reduced By 10%
    50% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    +2 To All Attributes
    In mine and many people's opinions this is the hands down best helm for casters and some melee, commonly refered to as Shako, this is your best bet for a wind druid. Again, many people prefer Jalal's Mane Totemic Mask, for the resistance and faster hit recovery mainly, but Shako provides much more life and mana, and even more if you use Call to Arms (discussed later) since it's +2 effects battle orders, and Jalal's +2 druid doesn't.
    (Alternate helms include, Jalals Mane, Peasant Crown, or Ravenlore, a rare druid pelt with +2 druid or +3 elemental and decent second mods is acceptable)

Belt: Arachnid Mesh Spiderweb Sash (16 slots)
    +90-120% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    Slows Target By 10%
    +1 To All Skills
    +20% Faster Cast Rate
    Increases Maximum Mana 5%
    Level 3 Venom (11 Charges)
    As of 1.10 this is the belt of choice for most casters, there is really nothing to discuss, just look at the stats on it.
    (Alternatives include, Trang-Oul's Girth Troll Belt, Gloom's Trap Mesh Belt, or Nightsmoke Light Belt)

Gloves: Trang-Oul's Claws Heavy Bracers
    +20% Faster Cast Rate
    Cold Resist +30%
    +30 Defense
    +25% Poison Skill Damage
    +2 To Curses (Necromancer Only)
    I choose these gloves for the resistance and 20% faster cast rate, I use them instead of Magefist because cold resist never hurts against sorceresses.
    (Alternatives include, Magefist Light Guantlets or Frostburn Guantlets)

Boots: Aldur's Advance Battle Boots
    Indestructible
    40% Faster Run/Walk
    +180 Maximum Stamina
    10% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
    Heal Stamina Plus +32%
    +50 To Life
    Fire Resist +40-50%
    Aldur's Advance are my boots of choice because of the big faster run/walk, huge fire resist, 10% damage to mana, oh and these are the solutions to all your stamina problems.
    (Alternatives include, Waterwalk Sharkskin Boots, Silkweave Mesh Boots, Sandstorm Trek Scarabshell Boots, or Shadow Dancer Myrmidon Greaves)

Jewelery: Mara's Kaleidoscope, and two Stones of Jordan
    +2 To All Skill Levels
    All Resistances +20-30 (varies)
    +5 To All Attributes
    &
    +1 To All Skill Levels
    Increase Maximum Mana 25%
    Adds 1-12 Lightning Damage
    +20 To Mana
    I choose these for the big +skill, resistance, and big boost to your mana pool.
    (Alternatives include, rare/crafted Amulet with +2 druid, faster cast, or resist, Bul-Katho's Wedding Bands, and rare faster cast rings with resistance and life/mana)

Switch: 'Call to Arms' in an elite 1 handed weapon (Amn+Ral+Mal+Ist+Ohm) and Lidless Wall Grim Shield
    +1 To All Skills
    +40% Increased Attack Speed
    +250-290+% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Adds 5-30 Fire Damage
    7% Life Stolen Per Hit
    +2-6 To Battle Command (varies)*
    +1-6 To Battle Orders (varies)*
    +1-4 To Battle Cry (varies)*
    Prevent Monster Heal
    Replenish Life +12
    30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    We use Call to Arms for the Battle Command and Battle Orders it provides, I recommend making it in an elite weapon like phase blade, berzerker axe, ettin axe, or scourge. We already have the dexterity to use an elite, and our strength gets plenty high with Enigma and Stormshield. It's also good to use on Dclone, smack him with it for prevent monster heal. And beleive it or not, but it's a cruel of quickness as well, so DON'T make it in a flail!

+80-130% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +1 To All Skills
    Increase Maximum Mana 10%
    20% Faster Cast Rate
    +3-5 To Mana After Each Kill (varies)
    +10 To Energy
    +1 To Light Radius
    We use Lidless Wall for the +1 to all skills, so our battle orders is stronger and lasts longer.

Charms: Ten Natural Grand Charms, with second mods like +life, faster hit recovery, +strength or +dexterity. This will be a huge boost to our damage.
    Annihilus Small Charm, with the best stats you can get.
    Your leftover nine slots should be filled with small charms with modifiers like +life, faster run walk, faster hit recovery, +mana, and resistances.
    Stats at level 94
    Strength - 103 (I like people to see my Archon, and this is safest, also, make sure you have +30 strength in charms so everyone can see your sexy Stormshield, if you don't care about looks (for shame!) then simply get enough strength to use your gear after +strength from items and charms are added, but this can lead to sticky situations if you ever want to replace items, but need them to use your gear)
    Dexterity - 225 (For max blocking at level 94)
    Vitality - Everything Else (life is important)
    Energy - Base

Skill Points and Allocation
    20 Tornado (Our main skill, it deals physical damage in a random path, which is determined by where you're standing, it can sometimes hit twice or more)
    20 Hurricane (Our secondary attack skill, it doesn't always do huge damage but it can help, chill the opponent, and make them mistakenly put on cold resist/absorb)
    20 Cyclone Armor(VERY important defensive skill, this has saved my butt so many times, you are basically shredded against the huge damage spells now without this, it adds damage to Tornado and very important duration to Hurricane)
    20 Twister (Synergy to all our wind spells)
    20 Oak Sage (Our Spirit, huge life boost)
    1 Summon Grizzly (Great decoy and sometimes damage dealer)
    1 Raven (prereq)
    1 Dire Wolves (prereq)
    1 Spirit Wolves (prereq)

Leveling Guide
    Here is a level by level guide through the early game, I recommend getting Sigons Set, Bloodrise Morning Star, Nagel and Manald, and Eye of Etlich, then switch out to the gear I say, join a populated game, even if you are soloing, for faster exp, and a sorc to enchant you is GREAT. Give your starting character 50k gold.
    1: Kill things in Blood Moor, 1 pt in Raven, 5 str (pump to 65)
    2: Kill more in Blood Moor, save pt, 5 str
    3: Do Den of Evil, save both points, 5 str
    4: Den of Evil finished, start on Cold Plains, save pt, 5 str
    5: Clear the Cold plains, save point, 5 str
    6: Do Blood Raven, kill in Crypt and Mausoleum, pt. in Oak, Spirt Wolves, Arctic Blast, 5 str
    7: Kill in Stony Field, kill Rakinishu, find Passage, save pt, 5 str
    8: Clear the Underground Passage, save pt, 5 str
    9: Clear the Dark Wood and Treehead Woodfist, be careful he's tough, make sure you get waypoint, then grab the Scroll of Inifuss and head to Stony Field, save point, 5 str, equip sigons gloves and then full set but shield
    10: Clear Tristram, rescue Cain, save pt, 5 str, Equip sig shield to finish the set
    11: Take wp back to Dark Wood and find Black Marsh, find the Forgotten Tower and kill as much as you can, save pt, 5 vita (pump for a while, you don't need dex in norm)
    12: Clear The Forgotten Tower and Countess, kill in Black Marsh if you still need exp, one point in Dire Wolves and Cyclone Armor, 5 vita
    13: Clear Tamoe Highland, and pit if you need more exp, 1 point in Cyclone, 5 vita (we are pumping cyclone until Tornado for damage and Hurricane duration, 12 second hurricane = spawn of satan)
    14: Fight your way to The Smith and lay the smackdown, finish Malus 1 pt in Cyclone, 5 vita
    15: Battle through the Jail to the Inner Cloister, 1 pt in cyclone, 5 vita, Equip Bloodrise Morning Star
    16: Revel in the power of Bloodrise as you own Catacombs, prepare to fight Andy, 1 Cyclone, 5 vita
    17: Do battle with the Maiden of Anguish, preferably with a party, 1 cyclone, 5 vita
    18-20: Take the Caravan to the East and run the Sewers in populated games, you should be fine thanks to cyclone, +4 cyclone(1 from Radament Quest), +15 vita, you can start adding dex now or continue with vitality
    21-24: Quest with a party through act 2, or get a rush, then level in Canyon of the Magi, Travincal, of Diablo Runs, +3 cyclone +1 tornado, +dex or vita
    24: Do Ancients, 1 pt in tornado and cyclone, vita or dex
    25-55: Start Baal, watch your exp bar jump in huge amounts, finish cyclone at 26 and tornado at 44, get a point in grizzly and Hurricane, max Hurricane and start on twister
    (I would switch out to the following gear here:
    Spectral Shard, Vipermagi, Lidless, Peasant Crown, Gloom's Trap, Magefist, Waterwalks)
    55-75: Quest through Nightmare, get your strength up to 103, keep your blocking at 40% with lidless, the rest into vita, equip your pk gear whenever you reach the required level, and Baal to 75
    75+ Start hell, keep your block up at 75 now that you can wear ss, and the rest into vita, you can start pking as soon as you can use all your gear and max your wind synergies.

Dueling guide vs. most builds coming soon
    Any feedback is appreciated, I won't necessarily change my mind but if you can support your criticism I won't ignore you.

Æ’enris

2. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Thank you man :D :D I owe you.

3. Sephiroth[TR]

Sephiroth[TR] IncGamers Member

hmm im bit confuse now does tornado do magic dmg or physical damage. And magic like blessed hammer i mean.

4. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

Tornado does PHYSICAL damage, not magic damage. so physical reduction gear would help you out against 'nado. However, it is considered a spell that does physical damage, not a physical attack, and therefore you cannot leech from it.

--fatty

P.S. GJ LemurSpirit!!! thx for reposting!

5. LemurSpirit

you're all welcome :)

I have a few more guides saved. I might repost them by request

6. FattyMcGee

uhh.... I request you repost your other guides?

*waits to see if it worked*

7. LemurSpirit

heh...I have stuff like coldarmmy's fcb, and a few elemental pvm/pvp guides. Gonna check them and repost at night when I get home.

:)

8. Kamahl

Kamahl IncGamers Member

tornado can be blocked

9. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

I have tested it against a 75 block paladin, and when I hit with one every other one fired in the same direction would hit as well.
    There's also the fact c/c sins seem so much harder to hit, and it's logical that it's because they are blocking tornados with claw block.
    I also notice problems hitting whirlwinding barbs sometimes.
    But from everything I've seen it's unblockable by shield.

10. Kamahl

Kamahl IncGamers Member

hrm i coulda sworn i saw panz nec block it Oo

11. DemonicTutor

DemonicTutor IncGamers Member

Naw it can't be blocked... what u prolly heard was a raven attacking the necro causeing the sheild to *clang* (for lac of better term).

Tornadoes themselves can only be blocked by 2 clawed Sins and can be dodged from amazons.

12. Kirsty

Kirsty The Order of Dii Guild Member

I believe blocking tornados and twisters was only possible in 1.09, but definately not in 1.10.

So when are you rewriting the tactics Fenris? Don't forget to add non-teleport information.

13. Drunken_Tiger

Drunken_Tiger IncGamers Member

I believe tornado can be blocked by the Assassin's weapon block.

14. Kirsty

Kirsty The Order of Dii Guild Member

as well as amazon avoid and evade

15. Royal_Paladin14

Royal_Paladin14 Banned

hmm i'm not sure your the first one to use this build. almost everything u talked about was common sense. i built my druid pretty much the same way except i dont have all those gcs and i'm sure how many other people built their druids. the real problem is getting all those expensive gear and the time consuming leveling process.

you should put a bigger emphasis on dueling tips and alternative builds for people who dont' have those. and i cna't help getting suspcious that you might have rune duped if you have all those on ladder.

16. FattyMcGee

1. Don't knock him for making a great, comprehensive guide about a character that's played a lot. That's usually what guides are for... the more "cookie cutter" builds. I made a meteorb sorc right when the patch came out (15 minutes after it came out, actually) but I'm not complaining that sajsa wrote a very excellent meteorb sorc guide a couple weeks after i'd finished my char, for those who would like to try it out in the future.

It simply makes sense to write a comprehensive guide about a character that's widely used: because many will see this build played and wonder how to best play it themselves. Some of it may be common sense if you're knowledgeable about druids, or have pvped a lot, but to those who don't have much experience in one or the other this guide contains some great information.

2. Don't accuse someone of duping on these forums without reasonable proof please. I have an enigma, HotO etc. on my characters (ladder) but guess what? I have never duped/hacked in my life... never even used map hack. I only traded for ONE of those runes too. So I don't see how it's so apparent that fenris is involved in illegal duping activities merely because he owns good equipment.

I do agree that some non-enigma tactics would be highly helpful however, because many who want to utilize this build don't have access to that kind of armor. Maybe you can even team up with someone to write it? Kirsty has some knowledge about it methinks.

--fatty

17. dbd-warlord[x]

dbd-warlord[x] IncGamers Member

lately ive seen most casters using bk wedding band instead of soj due to the fact that they kill ever so fast and dont really need all the mana personally im still debating about which im gonna use to chase after those sorcs and Buritozons.

18. VictusMetuo

VictusMetuo IncGamers Member

Lay low on the flame type comments Royal, I've seen it before from you in the Honor Forums, and we won't put up with it here. So watch your comments.

And before you want to put such comments to a guide, why not try writing one for yourself? There are alternatives there, he just doesn't talk in depth about them. And just because there are plenty of people that make Wind Druids, why not make a guide? It's a point of reference for anyone who would be interested in the build, and for someone that doesn't know the build or Druids, it is a guide. That's the point of writing a guide, to let people learn from it. The tactics are still in the process of being worked on. Yeah, there's room for improvement on Fenris' part, but everything that has ever been written can be improved in some ways, because nothing is ever really finalized but can be close to it.

As for duping, I won't even touch that. You called people dupers on the Honor Forums quite a few times, and I suggest that you wipe that from your posts from now on. In 1.09 I was pretty well off, and there were others from this forum that were about the same as me and even better. That doesn't mean we were all dupers, because we weren't. But one thing you apparently don't get about guides, is that you are supposed to give an ideal setup, especially in PvP. It's a target, just like skills, just like stats, just like everything. Yeah there are alternatives till you can get there, but this is the end goal you would want to reach. You just seem like the type of person that would hassle myself or many other people in this forum for using 40/15's purely for calculation purposes.

Frankly, if you don't have anything worthwhile to say, then don't say anything. Consider this a warning from the Druid Forum.

19. Lithan

Lithan IncGamers Member

Man I remember duping from diablo 1. I was a great duper. I could get it every attempt. All my characters had every single stat maxed. hehe. Oh the time I wasted with those pots.

20. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Actually, he's right I am a duper.
    When that 15 kills holding a dagger thing came out, me and a friend tried it and I duped a Dol and Sol rune, ^^ then the servers went to hell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.