Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

report from the front line, Poison dagger

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Dazuni, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Dazuni

Dazuni IncGamers Member

report from the front line, Poison dagger

so I have this summon / poison necro going on. at level 66, I just started to use marrow walk and happey enough to tank as I originally intended.

I have this fanged knife with malice rune word. with level 18 (21 with skill) PD and maxed (23 with skill) nova, level 1 PE (4 with skill).

went to a 4 person game, and in hell act 1, with angelic rings and amu, I have over 13K ar, partial trang gives me -25 % monster's poison resist and + 25% posion damage. I decided to test how good the poison dagger is.

outer osyter devil kin shaman, stab and run, with malice's 100% open wound and lofty poison damage, I run around and wait, it did take like 4 to 5 sec for it to take full effect, but it was 1 stab kill. yep, you got it, 1 stab kill. if I use nova, I think it would be 2 - 3 nova per kill.

I see this poison dagger with malice have a god potential for boss, super unique, normal monster can be deal with by merc and skellys.

2. Dazuni

Dazuni IncGamers Member

for reference, previously, I have tried on act 1 devil kin:

Upgraded Steel Driver (mar de far), 4 - 6 hits I think,
    Cragclaw Complete set 7-8 hits (I think, knock back is annoying.)

Burisa 3-4
    Gut siphon too many hits

Poison malice dagger 1 hit.

Passion shillelagh (zealed) 2-3 rounds 3 hit / zeal

So there you go, poison dagger need to wait, but it actually perform quite well compare to other melee alternative. The only thing in my mind at the moment is passion-phase blade, but that is another story.

3. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Poison nova shouldn't take 2-3 hits to kill a devilkin...I can easily wipe out a crowd of devilkin in hell with 1 pnova.

But pdagger is quite effective, i'll give you that

:thumbsup:

I have a fleshripper on switch for those fun times when I decide to go melee. 100% Chance of OW is why malice is such a sweet (and cheap ;) ) runeword, I'm thinking about UMing my 'ripper to get 75% OW with it

4. Dazuni

Dazuni IncGamers Member

really, let me try again tomorrow morning. I really want to have a phase blade passion though. I use malice because it is , as you mentioned cheap, I think this little runeword been a bit over looked.

that siad, it seems that the 100% is not really 100% OW. well at lease the animation is not always displaying. for the actual damage it is a bit hard to tell really. may be I can try to see the difference between wiz spike and my malice.

5. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Act 1 Devilkins spawn with 1159 to 3400 hp in ladder games and have zero poison resist. So a single nova can kill the weaker ones especially if you have some good -% poison resist gear. In a 4 player game like Dazuni was talking about they will have a far too many hit points to be killed by a single nova unless you have the real uber-gear ... like Death Web with Bramble and the Trangs Trio.

Anyway who cares? One Nova or two... I usually spam two Novas rather than use LR and then a Nova, probably slightly slower killing but a lot less trouble.

And daggers are very good at killing single monsters in Hell especially when you have a nice little army of skellies to work with. They provide excellent cover and deal great damage to the poison immunes while you pick off the champions and bosses they have trouble with. I just love running around and stabbing here and there. It's a great alternative to just mindlessly blasting everything with CE or spamming PN endlessly.

6. Dazuni

Dazuni IncGamers Member

I think I am too lazy to change nova to curse and then nova, the most key skill I use on right mouse is actually nova, Bone Armour, life tap, trang metor, firewall and skelly in that order. left mouse is either poison dagger or zeal with passion.

lol picking on one monster>>> coz that one is ugly.

7. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

The best place to use your dagger is when vs. a boss. 'Ripper has CB so that works quite nicely, and besides, there is nothing like watching your necro doing a Phat Ghoul Pimp Slap, well, in full trangs anyhow ;)

8. JCX

JCX IncGamers Member

The devilkins in act 1 are the absolute funniest with Nova. What I like to do is skate into the middle of their "camp", drop a nova, they all die. It just doesn't seem fair sometimes. :lol:

9. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Totally agreed, my guy has killed all bosses with a dagger so far and only has Baal in Hell to go. I started with some really low requirement rare dagger I picked up for Andriel in Normal and was using the Jade Tan Do when I killed Diablo, then used a Spineripper for early Nightmare until Fleshripper was available for use in Hell. I look forward to killing the bosses and they are easy.

Using a dagger has great benefits against a boss for a skellimancer. Getting in close and hitting with crushing blow to get rid of the bulk of the points and then letting poison and open wounds finish them off is very satisfying. I haven't done the sums but I'm sure my Necro does much more damage than my whole army of skellies, revives and Merc do. And anyway, it is just so appropriate for the Necro to do battle face to face with his equal, that is the Act Boss, and not bother himself with the Boss' minions since he has his own minions for that.

10. Dazuni

Dazuni IncGamers Member

Today is not my day.

May be it is the fact that I choose to play public game and let ppl rush me. I did act 2 hell and act 3 within 45 minute this morning. Facing the monster without the level (67) is obviously the problem

I get the staff for act 2 and then the amu. At durio I have to open the portal, need to rejix the cube, dorped some charms on the floor including 12% Faster recovery, a fat barby promptly pick them up and said “niceâ€. I asked him to give them back to me and he refused.

It is just a game, so I thought never mind. Upon finishing durio, the barby might have some pick up hack or something, item disappeard like industrial cleaning style.

They went to trav so fast that I missed out on act 3 in that game.

Restart a game and with a nice zon for a change, shehelped me to finish act 3 in 15 min.

Skelly were holding up till I hit council. Nasty. Went into hate level 3 and died like countless times, I have to sort out the resist. I did finish act 3 though.

I have wizzy already and have to get humoculus.

11. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Yes Dazuni, max resists are the most important thing for a Daggermancer since you get so close to the FE and CE bosses when they detonate. Having good resists and Bone Armour means you can take on the tough guys and get that hit or two needed to crush or give OW. My guy has 75% to F,C and L and bout 45% to P in Hell and never gets any real problems including against Hell Diablo.

12. Dazuni

Dazuni IncGamers Member

so, after the last post, I have decided to gear up for summoning for a session as a change, instead my usual Malice PD, I used arm leoric. and I ditched the angelic ammy, and get myself a +3 summonning ammy.

what a difference. skelly last in act 5, Q1-2, 3 player game. at a lofty level 29 Skelly is wicked. mages dies but I only get them because of Arm leoric so it is okay. even my merc dies less often as the focus speard.

so my PD mancer / summoner is still okay. I recogn that there might be problem with baal, but I sure I will play public game to get it through.

13. Dazuni

Dazuni IncGamers Member

a very final post on this thread. after that we should let this post pass I think.

my necromancer has finally finish baal, well, with a zon.

since last time, I soloed act5 annya quest, that was good. this morning, I further partyed to do acient that was nothing special and then baal with a zon.

zon was quite nice to talk to and stuff, but she lack killing power. by the time we see baal, I have like 4 skelly left, so I went to act 1 refresh my army. then get my Wizspike and see baal. looking at my resistant 75 52 75 64, not bad at all considering hell game.

so off we go and by the time I was infront of baal, 4 skelly left, get clay golem and keep cursing decap, baal was like stuck. zon keep firing freezing arrow that help to slow it down too. so we start our 5 minute pdagger-wizspike one hand typing conversation.

baal is virtually just standing there and doing nothing. that frezzing arrow thing that baal shoot out did not get me at all, may be i was standing right in front of me range 1. anyway it is good that poison mancer finigh the game. using PDagger to finish it just icing on the cake.