Renewed hope in the US

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Talga Vasternich said:
You're beginning to catch on :thumbsup:
Okay, put up another candidate who proposes exactly the same policies and espouses exactly the same political views and see how much they like him.

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member
dondrei said:
Okay, put up another candidate who proposes exactly the same policies and espouses exactly the same political views and see how much they like him.
I think Dubya espoused his policies and political views quite well during the 2nd debate.

:wink:

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Stompwampa said:
?? What's so funny?
Well first of all, the combination of "vote" and "effective" in the same sentence, and second of all - you do understand the purpose of a protest, right?

Stompwampa

Diabloii.Net Member
dondrei said:
Well first of all, the combination of "vote" and "effective" in the same sentence, and second of all - you do understand the purpose of a protest, right?
I don't see why using those words in the same sentece is such a bad thing. Our system has its flaws, but it's quite a bit more effective than most systems. If we can't have faith in the power of our vote, then what the hell is the point?

And yes, I understand what the purpose of a protest is, I just don't see how they are effective. If you really want to change something, then vote against it, or write letters to your representative, or even run for office yourself. I just don't see how standing on the steps of city hall and waiving signs for anti-this or pro-that really does anything it all. It makes your opininion known, and I know the hope is that the people in congress with the power will see those protests and vote accordingly, I just don't see it happening. I think there are more effective ways to make a difference.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Protests are much more effective than votes, for one thing they give minority opinions a larger influence on politics. Politicians pay attention to them. Well, unless they're hard-liners, but even so it makes the party powerbrokers edgy.

They accomplish a lot more than votes do - hell, votes don't even translate to a particular demand most of the time. Even when they do, it's the politicians that choose their platform and which parts they exercise once in office. Voting doesn't give you a chance to give your opinion on particular issues, you just get a choice of people to elect and maybe they'll represent your opinions on issue X and maybe not.

And let's not forget that swing voters are usually a minority, the majority is tagged and bagged before campaigning begins unless something drastic happens.

Star Dust

Diabloii.Net Member
alexzed said:
I'm back in San Fran for business, and right outside my office, right now, is a medium sized anti-Bush protest. Good to see people speaking their minds - and even the riot police are staying a good distance away, not swinging with wild abandon, as I thought they might. So I'm glad to see protests here...need to see more!!!
Let's not forget that the country has been practically evenly split the last two presidential elections.

Stompwampa

Diabloii.Net Member
dondrei said:
Protests are much more effective than votes, for one thing they give minority opinions a larger influence on politics. Politicians pay attention to them. Well, unless they're hard-liners, but even so it makes the party powerbrokers edgy.

They accomplish a lot more than votes do - hell, votes don't even translate to a particular demand most of the time. Even when they do, it's the politicians that choose their platform and which parts they exercise once in office. Voting doesn't give you a chance to give your opinion on particular issues, you just get a choice of people to elect and maybe they'll represent your opinions on issue X and maybe not.

And let's not forget that swing voters are usually a minority, the majority is tagged and bagged before campaigning begins unless something drastic happens.
Which is why people need to make educated votes and know who they are voting for and what they stand for. Then once they vote, it should be thier duty to hold that person accountable.
And there are quite a few issue votes here...I'd say that half of our ballot is issues, not people, so yes, voting is much more effective, at least in that circumstance.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Not to mention the fact that partisan politics means you don't get a broad selection of candidates with different positions on the various issues, what you get is two package deals from the major parties and a bunch of wasted votes everywhere else.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
You could try instant runoff voting, but Australia conclusively demonstrates that that doesn't stop partisan politics.

Mind you, we also have compulsory voting.

PFS

Diabloii.Net Member
Stompwampa said:
As far as I'm concerned, the only effective way to protest is through the cast of your vote.
Revolution works too... but is generally reserved for more severe greviances.