Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Remaining Skill Points for Meteorb Sorc???

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Broadway, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Broadway

Broadway IncGamers Member

Remaining Skill Points for Meteorb Sorc???

Hi there, this is my first post and I have a few questions regarding my Level 87 Meteorb Sorc on the USWest Realm Non-Ladder.

First off, my equipment is as follows:

Helm : 'Um'ed Shako
    Armour : Enigma Dusk Shroud
    Shield : Sanctuary Monarch
    Weapon : Hoto
    Gloves : Magefist
    Boots : War Travellers
    Belt : Spiders
    Ammulet : Maras
    Ring : Soj
    Ring : Soj

My Skill points are as follows:

1 Firebolt
    1 Inferno
    1 Blaze
    1 Firewall
    20 Fireball
    20 Meteorb
    20 Fire Mastery
    1 Warmth

1 Icebolt
    1 Iceblast
    1 Glacial Spike
    1 Frost Nova
    1 Blizzard
    20 Frozen Orb
    1 Cold Mastery

I currently have 6 unused skill points with more to come when I level up to 90.

Should I:

a) put them all into Firebolt to further increase my Fireball/Meteor damage?
    b) put them in Cold Mastery until I reach level 17? (bugged after lvl 17)
    c) put points to get a cold armour (Frozen, Shiver, Chilling), Energy Shield and/or Thunderstorm?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. EnerSense

EnerSense IncGamers Member

It's really your call. The only thing I would suggest is if you like fighting in the front of the battle, put 1 point in Shiver Armor. It doesn't hurt to increase your defense.

Edit: BTW, did you post an intro thread in the Single Player Forum? Welcome to SPF and the Sorceress Forum! :)

3. lonnie913

lonnie913 IncGamers Member

cold mastery. and cold mastery is definitely not bugged in any way. what you are probably talking about is the -res cap on monsters. the lowest possible resist a monster can get is -100% (e.g. they cant have -125% resist). at level 17, cold mastery gives -100 resist. that means, if a monster has 0 cold resist, lvl 17 cold mastery is perfect for them, and your damage is effectively doubled. however, against mephisto for example (who has 75 cold resist), lvl 17 cold mastery would only take mephisto to -25% cold resist. so you would want a much higher cold mastery against mephisto (lvl 27? im not sure). b/c most monsters are either cold immune, or have 0 cold resist, lvl 17 cold mastery is the best place to stop when you are trying to save points for synergies. for blizzard sorceress though, you would obviously max it, since all you have is cold. anyway, put them until cold mastery until AT LEAST its lvl 17.

edit: and im entirely against cold armors. my mf sorc is at about 2000 def right now. 1 pts in cold armor would get me maybe a lvl 10 or so frozen/shiver armor. thats 75%def for frozen armor, and 99% def for shiver armor. putting me at 3500 or 4000 def in the end. (a very rough and optimistic guess i think) that jump in defense would have a very small effect on a monsters chance to hit me. defense doesnt *reallY* get good until it hits 5 digits. its just not worth the extra points, since you have all those nice synergies.

4. MagicMoron

MagicMoron IncGamers Member

Get your cold mastery to -100 res WITH + skills. If it is, pump Firebolt to increase Meteor + Fireball dmge. My east hcl 96 meteorb sorc doesnt have cold armor and works fine.

5. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

the choice of armor also depends on your merk, of course.

i think i'm the only one stuck in the 109 days, because i still use defiance in 110 :D with defiance, max block, shiver armor, and stormshield, i get approximately 9k defence. good enough for me.

oh, and i also recommend cold mastery. orb itself kills slow in hell with max mastery, i cant imagine how slow it is with only slvl 1 -.-

6. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

I put my remaining pts on my Tal's meteorb sorc into Firebolt for the extra Fireball/Meteor synergy.

I ended up using Fireball more than Meteor (personal preference) and it kills very well. Frozen Orb owns in Norm/NM but once you get to Hell it slows down considerably. On the other hand, FB/Meteor doesn't slow down as much so I went that route. I kept my CM to ~17 after +skills and put the rest into Firebolt like I said. I'm level 91 now and doing ~ 5.8-6k Fireball and 13k Meteor. I can do Pindle runs on p8 with decent safety provided I play it right and not get reckless.

7. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

For general power, put them in CM until you hit 17 with +skills. CM isn't 'bugged' after 17, but a higher skill CM doesn't lower the resistance of monsters that started out with 0 in cold resistance any more than a level 17 CM.

If you, say, only run Mephi using Meteors and FB, Fire Bolt is of course better. But you get a lot more from your Orb with 17 in CM.