Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Reintroduction, a Matriarch, and questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by whommy, May 2, 2008.

1. whommy

whommy IncGamers Member

Reintroduction, a Matriarch, and questions

Hello there all SPFers! :wave:

First, I'd like to officially reintroduce myself to the SPF. I used to post here quite a while ago under the name Whomhead. I took a long hiatus and lost my password and no longer have access to the email I used to create the account. But hey, I'm back! *straps on shinguards*

OK, now that that's taken care of, I'd also like to introduce the SPF to my newest Matriarch, Not_Hardcore, the Fishyzon. I don't have any fancy screenshots or anything since I'm on my laptop without D2. She's a very standard Fishyzon who's job will eventually be WSK runs for fun and profit.

Helm = Harelquin Crest (12 res all jewel)
    Amulet = Mara's (28 res all)
    Armor = Skin of the Vipermagi (12 res all jewel - 44 total)
    Belt = Razortail or Siggard's Stealth (yeah, that's the 1.09 version of Nos' Coil)
    Weapon 1 = Titan's/Spirit Monarch
    Weapon 2 = +3 skills Melody Matriarchal Bow
    Boots = 44% War Travs
    Gloves = +12 dex, 20 IAS, +2 Jav skills rares

Merc = Defiance
    Merc helm = Vampire Gaze
    Merc Armor = Leviathan
    Merc weapon = Insight Great Poleaxe (its non eth, so I'm looking for an upgrade)

Stats = enough dex and strength for gear and the rest in Vitality.

I named her because I got really burnt out on D2 a year or so ago while doing HF rushes. When I finally got the itch to play again, I decided to try my hand at HC. After 3 level 70+ Destroyers (or whatever the HC folks who beat Nightmare are called) died, I got so frustrated that I swore off HC and created Not_hardcore.

This leads me to my questions. I tried some WSK runs and found her dissapointingly slow at them. So, I'd like to upgrade her gear to the greatest extent possible (for me). Remember those HF rushes I mentioned? Those gave me the runes, if I cube up basically everything I've got, to give me a Ber and a Lo.

My other favorite character is a lvl 92 Fanatic Zealot who also does Baal runs. (I don't know why, but I just really like the challenge of the WSK/Baal. I also (apparently) really like parantheticals.) He uses Schaeffer's Hammer with enough IAS to give him a 4-frame zeal. When I realized that the Fishyzon wasn't as indominatable as I'd hoped, I switched to him. It had probably been literally a year and a half since I last took this guy out for a stroll. On the very first Baal run, off of Baal himself, I found a +15/-18 Griffon's Eye. The first run! So I think to myself, "hey, this may be just the thing to give the Fishyzon the boost she needs!" I put it on her, but found that she's still quite fragile. So there's some more room improvement, I think.

My first question: would it be at all useful for WSK/Baal runs to make the Fanatic Avenger a Grief weapon to use instead of the Schaeffer's? The ctc static field on Schaeffer's is really nice, so i'm reluctant to give it up. I could also make him a Fortitude, but then I'd lose out on a lot of MF. Any advie?

Second question: Would I be well-served to switch my Fishyzon's gear to use a Chains of Honor and the Griffon's Eye? I have a perfect lightning facet I could throw in there for the extra coolness factor. Is there a better use for that Ber? Especially given that I will absolutely not be going back to HF rushes again. Ever.

That's it! Kudos and cheers to anyone who read all of my blabbering. Now, bring on the drinks (assuming Durf's credit card is still good)!

2. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Re: Reintroduction, a Matriarch, and questions

welcome back whommy, I remember your old nic, as well as the 'tar.

*kicks whommy in the arse* (... those shinguard's hurt my sensitive little toes :p)

As for your questions and concerns about the fishyzon... are you using Decoy? Continuously? I found that once I started doing that with mine, my safety factor increased significantly, and because the monsters all cluster around the decoy, my killspeed improved a lot too (by making LF and FA more effective when they pierce because they hit more targets per bolt/arrow). The Decoy can be used to attract OK-curses too. Gloams are about the only things that still suck, but they're bearable with a little effort on my part.

Once I figured out my map-pattern (i.e "usually there's a pack or two around this upcoming corner") and using Decoy a lot, my run times dropped to 13-17 minutes for a full clear of all 3 levels on /p1 (and I'm only level85 at the moment). I'm hoping 10-12 minutes is consistently reachable in the near(ish) future with more levels for her and more experience for me.

As for the gear, I can't answer (for certain) what you'll like more. I can post my setup (which is pretty solid), but that doesn't really answer your questions (and we look pretty similar anyways): http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=646833

(and I like parent's too)

3. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

Omaigad it's whomster. So many people are returning these days. Welcome back, and feel free to stop by the other places and say hi too =)

4. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Hey, I remember you, and like sirpoops, the avatar is familiar to me too. Welcome back. :)
    Hmm. If you're thinking Fortitude will quadruple your damage, it won't. It gets lumped in with all your other off-weapon %ED, including damage from strength, Zeal, and Fanaticism. Any %ED vs demons/undead also factors in here. Basically, this means it becomes less effective, as measured as a proportion of your total damage output, for many characters. It's wonderful on characters with little to no off-weapon %ED though, such as Jab or Multishot amazons.

As far as Grief goes, I'm not sure, as I've never made one. Just be sure you pick the right weapon, so you can reach your fastest FPA even with a crummy IAS roll. I usually think of Grief as a smiter weapon though, because it adds to Smite damage.
    I don't have CoH, but it looks very nice. However, Murphy's Law dictates that as soon as you use the rune, you'll find a more preferable use for it, be that a different runeword, better base item for the same runeword, or what have you.

Griffin's Eye is great on any lightning character, but if you want something really enjoyable, go for a boltress. Put that on her, get her up to 200 FCR, pick a nice backup attack (FBall works great with big FCR), and you can run the WSK with ease.

Or you could just stick it on your fishyzon, and use CoH for the big resists. :)
    If it's not, we know who to blame, don't we? :)

5. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Congrats on the mat. I remember the happy bearded man. :grin:

6. Skinhead On The MBTA

Skinhead On The MBTA IncGamers Member

I don't remember you, but welcome back!

Nice matriarch :grin:

7. whommy

whommy IncGamers Member

@ sirpoop: Hey there I remember you as well. I checked out your Mat thread. Some good stuff in there. I think most of my problems were based around not getting re-aquainted with WSK runs before posting this. I did some runs this morning and they seemed much smoother. I also started using Decoy -- she comes in really handy!

@nubbeh: no ur bad lol

@DC: Good to see you again! I'll check out other haunts once I hunt them down. New computer doesn't have my old urls... its a long story.

@pharoah: Thanks for the good advice. I think I'm going to hold off on burning my runes until I'm more comfortable with the chars. CoH sure does look like a sweet runeword though.

@ bbq and skinhead: Hey again and nice to meet you, respectively! :)

8. Jaedhann

Jaedhann IncGamers Member

Welcome back, don't remember the name, but do recall mister beard. As for the runewords:

don't make Grief in a destructable weapon. Either bug an etherial weapon by making death in it and then have another character than the one that made the runeword hel it, or make grief in a phaseblade. Swinging the weapon with a fanazealot and having to repair it every two seconds just takes away the fun.

And about CoH, I got it, I use it, I just LOVE it. It's just the most versatile armor there is, except enigma :rolleyes: .

*Steal skinguard. C'mon people, get him!