Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

reinstall gone awry, need help

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by nepeta, May 6, 2005.

1. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

reinstall gone awry, need help

Got a brand new LoD cd, copied it succesfully, the only thing I had to was... installing it, but alas... during the LoD upgrade my system fell asleep or something, the files aren't installed yet but the game's convinced they are. Now, when firing up LoD, it asks for the D2 play disk, can't install LoD, only upgrade to full, but that doesn't work either. Anyone got any ideas on smacking my pc up so it ´ll either install LoD or uninstall completely? ´d Be greatly appreciated.

regards,,

nepeta

2. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Back up your characters and then completely remove D2 and reinstall, sounds like you used a smaller install with the D2 (I thought it had an option to use a partial install). make sure to use a full install of D2 and the normal LOD install.

Most likely your computer made an error while installing and it never recognized it as an error, I had that problem once with Baldurs gate when I reinstalled it (with a scratchy disk).

3. Abdiel

Abdiel IncGamers Member

Copy the "Save" directory in your Diablo II directory to somewhere else, and uninstall D2 completely. Reinstall to a new directory (i.e. change the name to something a bit different than the default) and then copy over the leftover "save" directory to the new installation directory. Should do it. If it errors out on the install again you've either got a trash disc or some fairly severe PC issues.

A.

4. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Did 3 complete uninstalls/reinstalls so far, nothing happened- untill I completely removed the folder with [save] and a few other thingies in it, everything seems to be in working order now, although rather slow, but I'll see about that. Thanx for your help :)

5. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Why of course, Windows' way of handling its own stupid registry entries is as messed up as the whole operation system. In my experience your best bet is using a third party registry cleaner to compeletely erase all D2 and LoD registry entries than manually deleting the files. After that you should be able to proceed with a reinstall. Some of the registry cleaners out there are junk, make sure you use a trustworthy one.