Rehnquist resigning?

skihard

Banned
It has been suspected for some time now because of his health. My thoughts for him health wise but I'm glad to see him step down.

So i wonder how many hearts are stopping right now at the thought of Bush placing to justices.....how is the Chief justice position filled? Is it just who's been there the longest or is it appointed from those already on the Court?

Freemason

Banned
Hell yeah! While we're at it, let's get Justice Ginsuknife formerly of the American Criminal Let-loose Union out of there too. Her health sucks, she can go away :thumbsup:

I'd love to see Pres. Bush put 3 (perhaps 4???) justices on the SCOTUS. That'd just torque the left off to no end

maccool

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually, it could end very well. Say Bush nominates two moderates and they're confirmed. All of a sudden he gets street cred and saves himself from being in the Millard Fillmore class of presidents. That's a better legacy than the one he's currently working on.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Mac, what was in your coffee this morning? A perfect chance to be all cynical about something, and here go you with a good suggestion. Of course, I don't think Bush will do it, but it sure would be nice.

Freemason said:
Hell yeah! While we're at it, let's get Justice Ginsuknife formerly of the American Criminal Let-loose Union out of there too. Her health sucks, she can go away :thumbsup:

I'd love to see Pres. Bush put 3 (perhaps 4???) justices on the SCOTUS. That'd just torque the left off to no end
Or he could appoint more liberals to the court, just like the last few Republican presidents. :lol:

Freemason

Banned
Mac, Pres. Bush isn't going to put a couple of moderates on the bench. He's going to put conservative judges on just like Pres. Clinton put liberal judges on.

Anybody short of "Uncle Keg" Kennedy or John Edwards is going to be called:
Racist
Homophobic
Extreme
Activist
Anti-gay
Anti-choice
Fascist
etc.

So Pres. Bush might as well put on whoever he chooses seeing as how the left isn't going to accept anybody short of Lenin.

Freemason said:
Mac, Pres. Bush isn't going to put a couple of moderates on the bench. He's going to put conservative judges on just like Pres. Clinton put liberal judges on.
Uh-huh.

Let's look at your party's record in appointing judges:

Chief Justice William Rehnquist -- appointed by RICHARD M. NIXON (R) 1971. Elevated by RONALD W. REAGAN (R), 1986
Justice John Paul Stevens -- appointed by GERALD R. FORD (R) 1976
Justice Sandra Day O'Connor -- appointed by RONALD W. REAGAN (R) 1981
Justice Antonin Scalia -- appointed by RONALD W. REAGAN (R) 1986
Justice Anthony Kennedy -- appointed by RONALD W. REAGAN (R) 1988
Justice David Souter -- appointed by GEORGE H.W. BUSH (R) 1990
Justice Clarence Thomas -- appointed by GEORGE H.W. BUSH (R) 1991
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg -- appointed by WILLIAM J. CLINTON (D) 1993
Justice Stephen Breyer -- appointed by WILLIAM J. CLINTON (D) 1994

How many of those have turned out to be staunchly conservative? Not too many, it seems, or so it would seem by listening to you Republicans piss and whine about the "liberal" Supreme Court and your "activist" judges.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
maccool said:
Actually, it could end very well. Say Bush nominates two moderates and they're confirmed. All of a sudden he gets street cred and saves himself from being in the Millard Fillmore class of presidents. That's a better legacy than the one he's currently working on.
Who are you kidding? Shrub is going to be vilified as Nixon or deified as Reagan dependent entirely on the political leanings of the observer. Nothing he does at this point will change that.

I say he might as well go for broke, though I'd be overjoyed if he nominated an originalist moderate, rather than originalist conservative. I suspect originalist liberal is an oxymoron...

Speaking of Dr. Strangelove... Looks like a nuu clear day is dawning

Freemason

Banned
You're right, the past judges have been failures.

Let's say you bake a cake. And you put salt in the mix instead of sugar. Next time are you going to make the same mistake? Or are you going to make damned sure it's sugar this time?

Pres. Bush is going to put on solidly conservative and strict constructionist judges. How do I know this? Because I don't put salt in my cake mix twice in a row.

Freemason said:
You're right, the past judges have been failures.

Let's say you bake a cake. And you put salt in the mix instead of sugar. Next time are you going to make the same mistake? Or are you going to make damned sure it's sugar this time?

Pres. Bush is going to put on solidly conservative and strict constructionist judges. How do I know this? Because I don't put salt in my cake mix twice in a row.
Apparently you're the only one. Because it didn't only happen once. You might check that list again. 7/9 justices on the Supreme Court were appointed by Republicans. How is it that so many are liberals if Republicans "learn from this mistake"?

I think it's a little more complicated than that. Even the most Conservative justice will make "liberal" decisions from time to time as their job is to interpret the Constitution of the United States of America, not to call up Freemason and make sure the decisions he or she makes won't be labelled as liberal.

Intolerance

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
Even the most Conservative justice will make "liberal" decisions from time to time as their job is to interpret the Constitution of the United States of America, not to call up Freemason and make sure the decisions he or she makes won't be labelled as liberal.
Hahahahaha.

Freemason

Banned
DrunkCajun said:
Apparently you're the only one. Because it didn't only happen once. You might check that list again. 7/9 justices on the Supreme Court were appointed by Republicans. How is it that so many are liberals if Republicans "learn from this mistake"?
The earlier Republican presidents made the mistake. Pres. Bush isn't making those same mistakes. Why else do you think we're at war? To not make the same misguided mistakes from the past.

maccool

Diabloii.Net Member
Freemason said:
The earlier Republican presidents made the mistake. Pres. Bush isn't making those same mistakes. Why else do you think we're at war? To not make the same misguided mistakes from the past.

Well, it's good to know that you know exactly what the president is going to do at all times and are so willing to share with us.

I prefer the 'wait and see' approach to your 'talk out of your ass' approach. But your way works for you.

SirKnightmare

Diabloii.Net Member
Freemason said:
So Pres. Bush might as well put on whoever he chooses seeing as how the left isn't going to accept anybody short of Lenin.
COMMIES!!! COMMIES!!! STUPID PINKO LIBERAL COMMIES!!! COMMIES!!!

Freemason

Banned
Well mac, somebody has to keep you informed of what's happening.

Oh and wait and see works great does it? Global Warming. Let's wait and see when it causes the next ice age :lol:

EDIT:
SirKnightmare said:
COMMIES!!! COMMIES!!! STUPID PINKO LIBERAL COMMIES!!! COMMIES!!!
Need I say more? He pretty much sums up how the Democrats are going to react. Although you forgot to call me a racist homophobic hatemonger. ;)