Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Register your interest, The Ancents Tournament

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by DeathMaster, Apr 27, 2008.

1. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Register your interest, The Ancents Tournament

Name: The ancients tournament

Build: Try to build a barb closely represent ancients.

Rules:
    1. Must be barb
    2. You can choose one of three build - sword / shield WW, 2x throw axe double throw, or polearms LA
    3. HC or SC, if you play SC, the first death disqualify the build.
    4. Untwinked, ATMA allowed, RWM/RRM allowed
    5. Any player setting allowed
    6. Single pass, however, you may kill each act boss upto three times.
    7. Once moved to the next act or difficulty, you may not go back to previous act/difficulty, unless it is for claim quest reward.
    8. You may use other skills, but your main killing skill must be WW, double throw or LA. You may only use the following skills apart from your main skills when using your main skill is not possible (eg. kill PI) - if you play WW or LA, you may use zerk, normal attake, concentrate; if you play throw, you may use double swing or zerk.
    9. You may wear any armor/helm you found, but if you have one closely represent what ancients look like, you should use it instead. If you don't, it is okay, but it is not in the spirit of the ancients.
    10. You can only MP with another tournament player who play different "ancient". No two or more same ancients may appear in same game.
    11. No other skill or stat points restrictions.
    12. You may use a merc with limitations. A2 merc - bless aim only, A1 merc - fire arrow only, A3 merc - lightning and fire only, A5 - there is only one kind so any is fine.
    13. Trade is okay, but only with another tournament player/character. However, there is limitaion on how many items might be traded. Normal - 1, NM - 2, Hell - 4. Item limitations apply to weapon, glove/belt/boots/armor/shield, helm, charm, ring/amulet and Gem/rune. Potions can be "given away" freely.
    14. S&E to cheat death is not allowed.
    15. If you want to play more than one anceints, you may do so and self-trade. However, the trade rules apply. Plus two additional limitations - must play different ancients, and must keep them in same Act (cannot move to next act unless all of them finished same act).
    16. Without further explanation, you may not trade with mixed SC/HC. Keep it pure.

Score:

Finish normal +100 points
    Finish NM +200 points
    finish Hell +500 points
    Each character level above 69: -10 points
    Madawc get bonus points +50
    Each way point: +5 points
    Done each quest: +10 points
    Kill each act boss the second time: -5 points per kill
    Kill each act boss third time:-10 points per kill
    Done normal cow (must kill cow king): +20 bonus points
    Done NM cow: +100 points. Madawc gets additional 50 points.
    Done Hell cow: +500 points if you play Madawc, +200 points for the other two.

Warning: Attempt to complete cow level at NM or Hell level might be pure suicide.

If there is enough interest, I will start mine soon. I might choose Madawc.

2. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

Re: Register your interest, The Ancents Tournament

Not a bad idea DeathMaster although a couple constructive criticisms if i may.

I dont like the multi player aspect, i just feel that will scare away alot of possible contestants as most of us here play single player. IMO get rid of it all together.

The point systems seems abit too far fetch. I just think there is too much there, maybe just limit it to your level (-1), waypoint (+1), Quest (+2), Madawc (+10), Finish Normal (+10), NM (+20), Hell(+50). Thats what i would personally do.

Overall interesting tournament, however if it stays multiplayer then i wont be participating as i am already occupied with my own character in the Green with Envy tournament and also school is just consuming my life atm.

3. Swiller

Swiller IncGamers Member

I've been looking for an excuse to make a polearm barb. I'll have to give this tournament some thought...

4. Cygnus

Cygnus IncGamers Member

I know we are used to blaming Durf for everything that goes wrong, but low tournament participation isn't his fault (well, not entirely) This one we can blame Wolron.

I'll consider entering another SPF tournament after 4-5 of my Heptad snuffs it, until then, good luck to the participants :thumbsup:

5. Docturnal

Docturnal IncGamers Member

I would participate if I didnt have a dentist and a dexazon to guardian. I do have one question to the know it alls though. Is Leap attack still bugged in the current patch?

6. thisisacat

thisisacat IncGamers Member

what about shouts, can't madawc use them?

7. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

So does this rule out the entire warcry and passive skill trees?

8. Lady bug

Lady bug IncGamers Member

I like to join in, havent played a barb for ages, but this sounds fun.

9. DeathMaster

No, it says "killing skills", so you may use any war cry tree skill or assign points in passive tree as you wish.

You don't use them to kill.

10. corax

corax IncGamers Member

unless you use warcry??:undecided:

11. DeathMaster

Okay, rule #8 requires a little explain.

What I mean is:

You must use the "ancient skill" to do the killing whenever it is possible. So you need to use zerk to kill PI or when OKs are around. That's fine. However, you cannot turn your LA barb to a zerk barb for example. I understand sometimes you cannot leap/WW (even the ancients do some kind of normal melee attack), in that case, you may use your normal attack or your one point concentrate to fight out some space. Once you have space, you must leap/WW. If your throw ran out of mana, you may use double swing, but you cannot do it all the time, throw is the skill you meant to use to kill.

If you only use war cry from time to time as crowd control, that's fine, but you cannot turn your "ancient" to a singer barb.

And as far as I know Leap/LA are still bugged. From people who's done it, it is not that bad. I haven't tested myself, but I'd take the word from SPF.

12. Hoop76

Hoop76 IncGamers Member

It would be cool to mp a trio of barbs made after the ancients.

13. DeathMaster

Okay, here is my initial rating for each build, hope it helps for anyone who is interested.

LA - this should be straight forward. you have a relative large selection of weapons. Even making an insight is not bad idea. Leap + war cry tree makes this build very safe. The biggest problem is the leap bug, so be ready for it.

WW - Not bad, you have a shield, which makes resistant easier to get. Plus this might be the only source you can get CBF. Weapon can be a problem, but your attack should be the strongest of the three.

DT - The plus side is you don't melee, and knock back is relative easier to get (craft). However, you will run out of weapon all the time, and finding a good pair of weapon seems impossible untwinked. Your damage will be the lowest for sure, which doesn't help. But look at the bright side, you may avoid certain situations the other two cannot.

14. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

I'm well aware of the WW bug, but what exactly is the Leap Attack bug? I've tried doing some searched but to now avail. I also checked the Pat/Guardian thread couldn't find anything about a LA barb. Has anyone ever patted/Guardian’d one?

edit: alright with a little bit of 'intelligent' searching I found out that he freezes you. Has anyone ever experience this?

15. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

I only know about the Inferno/LA bug: Try leaping while shooting Inferno (using Flamebellow) and - voilà - you'll get an invincible barb...a pity you're frozen until you S&E afterwards...

So, does anyone know what the LA bug actually is? And there is a WW bug? Didn't know about that...I really should polish up my barb knowledge:rolleyes:

EDIT @bladejj below: Hmmm, maybe I should do some testing myself. But I doubt I'll come to any conclusions before the tourney starts...I always wanted to make a LA barb - although a theme based one, with twinking at all. So I'll probably pass on this tournament.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  16. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

I'm guessing the bug just indefinitely freezes your character in a fixed sport, much like the charge bug for a paladin, but I'm not entirely sure.

If the bug is tolerable, I would definitely consider playing a LA barb if this tournament starts gets rolling.

17. Genraek

Genraek IncGamers Member

I wanna make a throwing barb for this (seems pretty cool, not sure if I wanna stick to the exact guidelines though, if it were me and a buddy I'd be much more willing). Anyone plan out a MP for this? Get some time in on sat/sun and finish normal or osemthing :evil:

18. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

I'll be up for this when it starts. Will be going for Talic methinks.

19. DeathMaster

If there are few people interested, we can start this weekend. I may not have much time to play, so the progress can be slow for me.

Would someone make a nice table?

Player name: DeathMaster
    Build: HC Madawc
    Character name: Gunner

**I already has a throw barb named Madawc, so this one has to be different.

20. Swiller

Swiller IncGamers Member

How's this?

Code:
    Name          Character     Build     Area          Level    Points 
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    DeathMaster   Gunner        Madawc    Rogue Camp(N)   1        50
    Swiller       Cilrok        Korlic    Rogue Camp(N)   1        0

I gave you the 50 bonus points for playing the Madawc build. Can't wait to get started!