Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Regarding Runewords and Uniques

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by wcumac, Oct 15, 2006.

1. wcumac

wcumac IncGamers Member

Regarding Runewords and Uniques

So I was just wondering what some of the Diablo players out there think about runewords on battlenet. Lately when I've been playing I havent seen a lot of people worrying about MFing anymore. I cannot blame them really, a lot of uniques and sets have been pushed to the side. As everyone knows runewords are the name of the game, and "pwning" is a top priority. So much that I notice a lot more players are hesitant to "run" to Baal or Diablo or anywhere really in fear that their character is going to die. The sorceress class known for their teleporting ability is less likely to teleport than the Hammerdin. Which makes me wonder if having runewords so largely used was a good idea. I just started playing Diablo a couple months ago, and from what I can gather from the chit chat on battlenet a lot of these runes are duped. Also I didnt play Diablo prior to 1.09, I actually started playing in late 1.09 and a lot during early-mid 1.10. From what I can remember though, my expieriences were a lot more fun. Does anyone have any opinions on why Blizzard doesnt try to come up with a dupe prevention method? Is it just inevitable that dupers are going to find a way around their system? Whats going to happen to counterbalance out characters extreme effectivness with runewords? And more importantly whats going to happen to all the uniques we used to use? Sorry if this post is in the wrong place, but I had to try to get this out.

2. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

You say you liked 1.09. Well, 1.09 had occy rings, white rings, Iths, and more. Don't forget you can only use runeword for 3-4 of your items, there's still plenty of use for non-runewords. Dupes have existed since classic, fixing it must require a major overhaul of code, something unlikely to happen to an old game.

And this whole topic has been beaten to death, really.

3. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

I think the fundamental way that BNet is structured leaves it wide open to duping exploits - and thus I don't believe that duping can be absolutely stopped. I can't really elaborate on that minefield of a sentence, so forgive me. All I'll say is that most of the exploits that I am aware of share some common characteristics that would be, I imagine, difficult to predict and prevent.

There is probably some room for improvement in the area of prevention.

Blizzard certainly does make an effort to close exploits once they've become known. I do wish they were more vigilant in regards to deleting dupes though - especially for those poor ladder players ... though I'm sure there are plenty of said players who wouldn't care much for regular clean-ups. :tongue:

4. Qbi

Qbi IncGamers Member

Not to mention they simply don't want to spare the resources to clean-up, re-patch, code etc etc etc etc etc --for an old game, as its been said already. Lets face it, most of the resources towards regular maintenence and whatnot are going to WoW, and not to mention Blizzard's current "project(s)" in development.

Of course im just saying this out of my own speculation, you don't have to listen to the crazy fox ladeh.

5. wcumac

wcumac IncGamers Member

I agree that Blizzard as a company may not want to put their resources into an old game. I'm not too business savvy, but I like to think that we are not going to be tossed to the wayside just yet, especially since Diablo 2 was so popular a sequel has to come at some point. Then again WoW is so large, and is so successful that maybe Blizzard isnt worried about keeping the Diablo 2 players happy, so when Diablo 3 comes out we'll be able to transition...I dont know. Something that I'm wondering though, since I got a lot of you Diablo vets were posting here. Is where do you think that the Diablo economy is moving? Nobody really addressed the problem of uniques. Uniques drop all the time, but are any of them really worth anything for trading on Diablo 2 exp? A few uniques that stand out in my mind that are popular trade items are Herald of Zakarum, Draculs Grasp, Gore Riders, War Travelers...Mainly any unique that is not an body armor type or weapon. What do you think is going to happen to our set and unique items at the rate that we're moving? I'll post more later if I have any ideas or questions. It seems a lot of the creative minds are floating around in the Single Player forums with Fleshripper WW Barbs, and what not. :laugh:

6. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

The economy has been rune driven since the release of 1.10 and will likely remain there for the remainder of this game's life.

Concerning Unique, Set and godly Rare/Magic Items, many of these have devalued immensely thanks to the rune economy and the continued proliferation of dupes. A choice few are still quite valuable. You can read a bit about (somewhat) current item values in the sticky threads over yonder at the Trade Values forum.