Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Reducing Lag

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Ebuski, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Ebuski

Ebuski IncGamers Member

Reducing Lag

I remember hearing a post about this awhile ago but i cant seem to find it, anyway i knew there was a way to cut down the lag at boss animations and act switches, if anyone can fill me in on how to do so i'd be happy, ive been doing baal runs lvling my paladin into the 90's but i never even get to SEE the drop because it takes so long for the animation to load, and running shenk is just a nightmare with the huge catapult scene at the end :-\ thanks for any help you can offer

2. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

the best i can come up with is get a faster internet connection :lol:

your comp might just be clogged up though coz im on broadband and in an 8 player game i cant see anything let alone the drops on baal runs, its ridiculous. Luckily im getting both my comps re-formatted soon so i can steal drops for my ladder sorc again!!!

3. Ebuski

Ebuski IncGamers Member

Yeah i read somewhere about you could save the boss animations on your pc or sometrhing so they dont have to load? or i could be mistaken eh.. i dont know :(

4. Vizier

Vizier IncGamers Member

Actually, I think you're referring to something else. The animations are probably simple instructions that your CPU and graphics card have to process for your monitor. Having a faster graphics card and CPU might help.

I have a 1-year old P4M 1.8Ghz laptop I use for a second computer, and my desktop is a 1.5Ghz P4 and those animations absolutely crush my machine (cable modem connection to boot). The animations are no less now (that I can remember) than when I played over 14.4K modem just a few years ago which worked ok for most games by the way. So it's not connection speed. The animations are all created on your machine: the server just sends a code to your machine that says "run the Shenk death animation" and that's it. Other animations like skills/spells etc are just a code from the server that essentially says: "run this animation at coordinates x,y"

My belief is that the video card/CPU have a lot to do with it, but more so the video rendering system. The one I use is several years old now. If you have a recent video card, make sure you have the latest drivers for it.

There are act transitions that can be speeded up by copying your CD files over to the directory on your hard drive. I forget their names right now, but they are teh huge ones. I used to get CD-access probs on my laptop (Thanks Roxio) and this helped alleviate them.

5. Ebuski

Ebuski IncGamers Member

Yeah i get application errors all the time, it usually happens when i do my mf runs.. i go eldritch shenk meph pit andy, which puts me back at act 1 for the next game, i then go right to frigid and teleport up to eldritch and hammer him to death, but sometimes my computer cant keep up and i get some kinda error and end up dead when i go back into d2. :\