Redefining 'terror'

alexzed

Diabloii.Net Member
Redefining 'terror'

This is why I love Canada...

It's nice to see some cutting of BS, and seeing the forest amongst the trees...I particularly like this quote:

He wrote that this definition is “an essential element that is not only novel in Canadian law, but the impact of which constitutes an infringement of certain fundamental freedoms ... including those of religion, thought, belief, opinion, expression and association.â€

Such an infringement, said Rutherford, “cannot be justified in a free and democratic society.â€
Maybe this place isn't going to h311 under Harper after all.

Oh wait - that's for Michael Ignatieff....

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
After a quick reading, he seems like a fairly balanced judge, which seems like an oxymoron in the US.

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Damn, Canada suddenly looks a lot more appealing.

I don't care for their system of healthcare though, so I won't be moving there any time soon (unless Our Lord and Emperor tries to re-institute the draft in order to "liberate" Iran or something. Then I'll be a loyal Canuck, eh?)

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
If only the elected branches were half as intelligent and responsible as the judiciary... bring on the oligarchy!

MinasMorgul

Diabloii.Net Member
:shocked: wow,

1. I didn't know we even had a Anti-Terrorism Act

2. I can see why a part of it was declared unconstitutional, It left alot of room for racial profiling IMO.

Maybe this place isn't going to h311 under Harper after all.

Oh wait - that's for Michael Ignatieff....
Harper aint all that bad, The world didn't end when the Conservatives took office or anything. Of course im saying this as a person from the Bluest Province of the Blue Provinces.

and I should probably watch more on the Liberal Leadership thing, since I had to Google Michael Ignatieff to figure out who he was. Kinda sad isn't it? :undecided:

Bortaz

Banned
All judges below a certain 'level' are elected.

EDIT: Saro, I just don't know about you anymore. While typically a very well-rounded-appearing young man, lately you seem to have a little llad12 in you. Maybe we need a new "Am I a Liberal?" thread.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Terror is obviously "what liberals support." So it includes things like abortion on demand and folk music.

WildBerry

Diabloii.Net Member
EDIT: Saro, I just don't know about you anymore. While typically a very well-rounded-appearing young man, lately you seem to have a little llad12 in you. Maybe we need a new "Am I a Liberal?" thread.
Well, he still hates the guts of the thought of anyone else getting a nickel of his money, so it's all good. :wink3:

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
All judges below a certain 'level' are elected.
Really? By whom?

That's because people keep making threads about whether or not personal liberties are being infringed by the government, in such a topic liberal and libertarian are equivalent.

If you want to help him out, start a thread about healthcare or something.

Terror is obviously "what liberals support." So it includes things like abortion on demand and folk music.
I thought folk music was for conservatives. Oh wait, are folk and country the same thing?

Bortaz

Banned
City, county, state...can't remember if there's anything higher than that. State Supreme Courts might be the highest elected justices.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah. The courts with broader jurisdictions are federal, and their justices get appointed by the administration.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
So do you vote for your state judges at the same time you vote for your state representatives? And same question for county. Otherwise you must have an arseload of elections.