Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Red portal in the Frigid Highlands

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by gabrielop, Mar 18, 2004.

1. gabrielop

gabrielop IncGamers Member

Red portal in the Frigid Highlands

OK, this is my first time through the Expansion (I just never got around to it until now). What in the world is this Red Portal in the middle of the Frigid Highlands? I checked out the Quest Guide on the site and there is no mention of it. It leads to a section (I forget the name, but it is something like Abbadon) which looks EXTREMELY similar to the last act of Diablo II, in the River of Flames, although my initial encounter was with some Blood Lords that are a lot meaner and nastier than the monsters in the River arena. Anyway, whats going on here??? Is this simply a side quest to get experience and gold/magic items like all the caves/tombs etc, in earlier acts. Or is there something waiting down there that is going to kick my sorry behind into next Tuesday??

I will be cautiously waiting outside the portal till I hear some more.

Thanks!

2. corax

corax IncGamers Member

its just like the caves in other acts. cept they have nastier monsters hidding down there. but as always theres lots of exp and a nice golden chest at the end

3. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

It's an optional side dungeon, similar to the Stony Tomb, Swamp Pit, Cave, Hole etc...

In 1.09 in Hell difficulty, Physical Immune Frenzytaurs spawned in those dungeons, which made them less than popular places to visit. Not quite sure what appears there in 1.10. There are similar dungeons in the Arreat Plateau and Frozen Tundra, plus additional side-dungeons in the ice caves you'll run into later.

Chris

4. gabrielop

gabrielop IncGamers Member

Thanks guys!

5. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

They're fun to check out, especially in Normal. Go for it!

6. Todd

Todd IncGamers Member

As mentioned above, they're just side trips, and pretty unexciting these days to boot. In 1.09, they had some very nasty critters, including the PI minotaurs noted above. But since 1.10 randomized the Act 5 monsters in NM/Hell, they're nowhere near the challenge they used to be, IMO.

7. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Now, that all depends on your build. I'd rather have phys immunes than elemental immunes when playing a sorcy. :)

8. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

Apparently I suck. All my chars have run into some kind of trouble in at least one of those red portals. :lol:

9. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

They usually are tiled like the depths of Hell before Diablo, but they are really cool little side areas. Also they almost always have a gold chest in them.

10. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I call them "River of Flame bonus areas" and I have never seen one without a golden chest at the end.

Monsters in Normal:

Abbadon (portal from Frigid Higlands): minotaurs and imps

Pit of Acheron (portal from Arreau Plateau): minotaurs and lashers/minions
    (Definately the hardest of the three, usually)

Infernal Pit (portal from Frozen Tundra): lashers/minions and imps. Piece of cake most of the time.

Usually, you will find one boss/champion pack, either of Lashers (which have minions as minions in 1.10) or minotaurs. Beware of the latter.

In NM and Hell, the monster mix is of course more variable. Can have nasty packs of ranged succubi.

11. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

I stumbled across one without a gold chest once. I was kinda confused about it but oh well.

12. spiral55

spiral55 IncGamers Member

Spoken like someone who has never taken a melee character into one that spawned with Oblivion Knights. :scared: Still, I at least have half a chance against those, as opposed to the PI frenzytaurs, the monster mix makes a lot more sense than just Act 5 monsters, and the drops and XP are still very, very good, so I try to do each one a couple of times in each difficulty. Just make sure, in Hell, that you find the waypoint in the area with the portal before going down. If you die down there, it can be one long, boring (or terrifying, depending on whether or not you left anything alive in your wake on your way to it the first time) run back to your body otherwise.

13. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

nothing special to find and very dangerous place in NM and HELL. that explain the small interest.

you can meet PI with hast, and archer with blocked passages.
    :surprise: and all together :surprise:

14. farting bob

farting bob Banned

im doing my rune race in the abaddon (under the frigid highlands). 50 runs, killing all monsters. ill write down what intersting monsters i see there if you all want.

15. Dix

Dix IncGamers Member

x

i think ill do that