Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Recommended life in Hell

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Harleyquin, May 10, 2005.

1. Harleyquin

Harleyquin IncGamers Member

Recommended life in Hell

For caster characters like necromancers and sorceress' how much life is deemed acceptable before attempting Hell difficulty? I assume all resistances to be maxed at 75 with no absorb gear and physical damage reduction (I'm very poor on equipment and not good enough to play /players8)

My first experience was with just over 500 life with a level 80 necromancer in Act 5. Could barely get past the frozen river without getting killed every 30 seconds.

2. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

800ish is good for casters, provided you have good resist.

3. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

For me, 700 for melee chars is comfy. I haven't really explored the lower limit for casters. I don't think I want to go a lot lower than 500.

4. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

Are you talking about the first totally solo expedition in Hell? Because you'd obviously made it that far alright. Act 5 can spawn some nasty monster, and i fyou get a bad draw in there (think gloams and vipers) almost any character can have a hard time without some very good gear - or a very good crowd control skill, which you have access to in the Curse tree.

5. LeorictheDark

LeorictheDark IncGamers Member

Your necro should be good to go with 700+ life with skellies I've never build a P&B so I don't know but I would assume a little more. The great part about summoning necros is that you really don't need expensive equipment to get through hell. Your Skellies absorb most of the damage for you so resistances are not a must either.
    The Sorceress should have as much life and blocking as possible. Use just enough strength to equip your items. My Sorc is in Act3 Hell and has only 60 hard points in Strength. Learning how to position your Minion with teleport is key. Teleport close to a group of enemies and walk away from them a few steps and then spam with spell of choice.

6. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

I've never had max resists with any of my characters:( I'd say 500-600 is the "minimum" but it all depends on how carefully you play and what build you have. Skelliemancers can get by with very little life, and my trapsin finished Hell with -60 to all resists and 500ish life...did die a couple of times but wasn't too difficult.

7. farting bob

farting bob Banned

recommended life in hell? 8,000 should do it.
    Realistic life in hell: if its SC you can get away with less than 700, but if you dont like dying or play HC, then 700-800minimum, and thats for the safest builds.

8. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

In HC, I aim for maxed resists and 850-1000 life (or more, if I can get it).

9. cft

cft IncGamers Member

For a high-dex high-blocking necro, 500 life is low but not badly low.

Especially if you have a lot of minions, you should be attempting to never get attacked (not just never get hit... never get attacked even). Staying behind your minions, staying out of range of the cold/fire blasts when a mosnter dies, and using fast run speed boots to run away (live to curse another day...)

For a non-minion build, it's harder to never be attacked, but still you should try to never get hit. Running away is good, and moving in zigzags helps avoid ranged attacks.

Still, you would benefit a lot from another 200 life... it would make it less likely that you get one-shotted.

If your gear isn't so good, 2x angellic rings, angellic ammy, and angellic armor will give you like +115 life, though the resists are probaby not good enough for Hell. Or for just one slot, you could put 3 perf rubies in a helmet for about +115 life.

Mostly, if you can find some nice charms with +life, that can help. The best ones are the 20life small charms, but there's nothing wrong with +8 life small charms if that's the best you've found so far.

Hell difficulty is pretty hard, especially the first time you get there. In Hell you can start to see some ugly combinations of powers on the pack-bosses (Cursed/Fanatic/... or Cursed/Extra Fast/... or Cursed/Aura Enchanted/... are just some of the bad ones)

And Act 1 has a lot of archers and ranged attackers.

Overall, I don't think your character is doomed, especially if the reason your life is lower is because you have a lot of points spend on Dex to help your Blocking skill.

ps. I'm not trying to start the blocking vs extra life debate; I'm just saying that if his life is lower because he has blocking, that's better than if he has 500 life and zero blocking...

10. the_elephant

the_elephant IncGamers Member

I'd try for at least 1000 life. Blue pots mean you don't need to sink many points in Energy, and +life charms are easy to find. Loading up on some scs of sustenance for a while is better than dying all the time :)

11. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

if you twink, I would say 1k min for melee, around 800 for caster when enter hell. Untwink is another story, but I will try to hold as much as possible.

12. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Generally you'll find that the more you learn about the game and the more you play, the less life / resis you need on your chars. I can't even count how often my first char died but it wasn't pretty, let me tell you that. From then on it got better with each new char. It helps if before you start HC you die a lot in SC. You learn how much it takes to kill chars with varying life, resistances and chance to block.

13. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

It really depends on your build. For instance, a bowazon can probably get away with 500-600. Casters, probably 600-700 depending on the exact spells used (short range spells means you need more life). Melee characters, I would aim for 1000 if it's possible after max block. A tankazon can get away with much less if necessary, but I still wouldn't tempt fate.

14. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

@NF: Since I started almost full melee from D2C, I have very good idea how much pain a char can take. I may not know the game as much as you do, but I say I have a fair good idea on survivebility. There is a difference between barely min and recommended. I think this thread isn't about barely min. Anyway, regardless SC or HC, I always play the less popular "safe side", otherwise I wouldn't build a bow zon with barely min Dex (yes, you read it right, my zon spent the least possible point in Dex, just enough for gears).

I know I have little problem with my pally, but he is my first one, and I wasn't expected pally is that much fragial.

@Liliel: 500-600 for a bow zon, you can get away with it, but a bow zon should have more than that. You know, always be ready for the worst.

15. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

I usually go under 900 for all of my builds before any auras/war cries...

16. SharnMes

SharnMes IncGamers Member

Id say about 800 and probably more if you can afford it. And get that lightning resist up! Those nasty gloams from act 4 and 5 and wisps from act 3 will own you if your LR isnt good enough!

I have no idear how many times I have died because 5 gloams where firing at the same time somewhere off the screen in act 4....

17. Condor

Condor IncGamers Member

This is actually pretty funny to read. I am in a tournament where you cannot wear a shield and you can't put any points in vitality. Let's just say that I only have 342 life and am level 57 entering the Pandomonium Fortress. I am not feeling to secure right now. And this is only in Nightmare. :lol:

Condor

BTW, I am a Necromancer (skellies) in that tournament.

18. JicamaEater

JicamaEater IncGamers Member

My Necromancer pat had 620 life. He had two problems: Gloams (surprise surprise) and Slingers (since the spears went through prisons). Finally I broke down and rolled until I got a Frozen River without them.

In Hardcore, at the moment, I would not want to play a caster with less than 800 life and melee with less than 1000.

19. SharnMes

SharnMes IncGamers Member

Slingers.... I totally forgot about those. Nasty. If they are lurking in an area I have to pass I almost always quit and start a new game to see if they are replaced by some more "managable" monsters....I dont really know what to do about them except to have a very good bone armor...

20. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Dim Vision doesn't work?