Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

recommendation on mf shield for sorc

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by lior, Jun 17, 2005.

1. lior

lior IncGamers Member

recommendation on mf shield for sorc

Making a Ryhme, which shield should I use?
    Second going to make a 4xist shield, again what should I use ?
    Third for Spirit, which shield you recommend?
    Thanks

2. Miladys-Knight

Miladys-Knight IncGamers Member

The highest base block (42%) shield with the lowest strength requirement (77) is a Heater. I usually use that for rhyme/slendor. I see many people using Troll's nests though which has higher defense, lower base block (40), and a higher strength requirement (105).

For your second and 3rd question, there are only 3 non-paladin shields that can have 4 sockets, Monarch, Aegis, and Ward. In both cases, a Monarch is the way to go since it has the lowest strength requirement (156)

3. lior

lior IncGamers Member

For the first choice is there a better shield with hight str req?
    And should there be any pre-runeword stats on the shields?

4. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i usually make rhyme in a hyperion to take advantage of the highest block rate for non-heavy shields. for splendor, it doesn't matter as it doesn't have +to chance to block (actually, imho, splendor and spirit are inferior. more on this later.) with a 20 dex ravenfrost and 200 dex, i usually can get max block in a rhyme shield as i never take chars over 90.

regarding splendor and spirit, i think they aren't very good shields. the main reason, of course, is chance to block, which is not just one of the main benefits of a shield, but shield block is one of the best defenses in the game, if not the best.

also, for splendor and spirit, i would only recommend these shields for the weakest of sorcs. why? because the weaker sorcs need the skills and they are usually in the pits. stronger sorcs should be going for andariel, baal, or meph, in which case the switch items will be carrying the bulk of the mf (the best mf sorc item for fighting is an ist'd occulus, which can only carry 75% mf at max, compare to a 149% ali baba or a 125% gull, and the advantages for switch mf become obvious.)

after doing some serious research into shields, i think sanctuary in a hyperion would be the best choice, because of the huge 70% all res and 20% increased chance to block. a spirit shield would give a ton of FCR, but is that really necessary? you can get fcr from many different sources, but chance to block can only come from the shield.

essentially, using shield with ctb under 60% basically gives up a third or more of your defense at the cost of over 30 stat points in str, for a mere 1 or 2 skills additional skills, and 10-35% fcr you can easily get elsewhere.

conversely, if you are going base dex, block doesn't matter at all and you can feel free to use any shield you want.

5. lior

lior IncGamers Member

Well I actually want Ryhme for weapon switch on boss.
    Anyway are there shield with resistance before you socket ? that can give me more then what the runeword gives?
    P.s. Sancatuary indeed gives 70res all, but that is way to much, and not always needed.

6. Superhal

yes and no. yes, there are shields that give resistances. no, you can't use them because they are pally only.

7. lior

lior IncGamers Member

I see.
    So anything shield for Ryhme and superior Monarch for Spirit.

8. Superhal

i would go heater or hyperion for rhyme for the additional 2-4% chance to block. i don't use superior items for runewords unless there is a hefty (over 200% ed) defense % bonus. the repair costs go insane on runeword items, and spirit doesn't give enough ed%.

in fact, i just checked, and spirit doesn't give enhanced defense at all.

9. Miladys-Knight

The spirit shield was probably designed to give the hammerdin a boost as it gives +2 to skills and many other things the hammerdin lacks.

The advantage for sorcs from Spirit are FHR, increased mana, increased life, and best of all up to 35 FCR. With Spirit it is possible to reach 200 FCR which makes the final break point in casting speed and is ideal for any sorc using non timered spells (Fireball, Charge Bolt, Ice blast.)

to reach 200 FCR you need:

A circlet class item with 20 FCR
    Eschutas 40 FCR
    Viper magi 30 FCR
    Spirit 35 FCR
    Ring 10 FCR
    Ring 10 FCR
    Arachnids mesh 20 FCR
    Mage fists 20 FCR
    crafted caster amulet with 15 FCR

There are other combinations but to get the maximum skill plusses and 200 FCR this is the way to go.

10. Miladys-Knight

Superior monarch is fine for spirit since a long range caster sorc uses teleport for defense and not block. My spirit using sorc rarely gets hit and my repair bill is always low.

IMHO the heater is the best way to go for a ryhme shield. The heater requires only 77 strength while the hyperion requires 127 strength. The defense difference is ~20 less def rating with the heater and a drop of only 2% on the block rating. But you save 50 stat points in strength some of which can be used to make up the difference in the block ratings by buying a little more Dex and the remainder of which can be placed in life.

There are 2 other options on shields depending on what you wish to use them for. A mosers blessed circle has the following:

+25% Increased Chance of Blocking
    30% Faster Block Rate
    All Resistances +25
    Gem Sockets (2)

your other option is to find, buy, or gamble a Chromatic (21-30% resist all) [shield type] of deflecting (+20% Increased Blocking, 30% Faster Block Rate). You can give this to Larzuk to socket and possibly get 2 sockets.

11. Superhal

heaters can't do sanctuary because they don't have enough sockets, so the next lowest str req after hyperion would give a 4% difference.