Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Recent posts given me ideas =P

Discussion in 'Druid' started by MightyTitans, Mar 27, 2005.

1. MightyTitans

MightyTitans IncGamers Member

Recent posts given me ideas =P

Hey, theres been some commotion recently about the fire side of the elemental tree, and I think Im going to try a build involving volcano.

After some discussion in previous threads it was showed that the druids fire attacks can be easily negated with just hotspurs...with the exception of volcano and molten boulder, which both deal physical damage and synergize each other.

At high lvls, the synergized volcano damage can reach 1k damage applied every 2 frames for 6 seconds, with a casting delay of 4 seconds.

The molten boulder has casting delay of 2 seconds and does 1.5k at high lvls. It knocks back anything in its path as well...(Not sure if char size affects the knockback pvp)

The other 1.10 builds involving volcano that I've read about so far from previous posts have involved grizzly and other synergized fire spells. Since fire is easily negated, i think it is better to go with just physical damage based druid. Grizzly seems too much of a sacrifice, when you could be using an oak sage for more life...and using wolves for more stacking...and its attacks can be blocked...and it will have low ar without synergies...

The pure wind druid is a physical damage caster dru that comes to mind, but it seems one dimensional to me, requiring melee range to close range. Tele on the opponent or have him tele on you and tornado him to death. This is hazardous and predictable.

Using volcano on the other hand, is itself a ranged attack (akin to blizzard but faster and less harder hitting) , that would be one dimensional as well if it was the only skill used. Theres also a timer on it, and you don't gain the elemental attack protection of cyclone armor.

Molten boulder seems to be useful in its knockback ability (blast threw minion stacking maybe? Stun while spamming tornados?) but it is timered.

So, what if you use both volcano/molten boulder and wind skills? Since volcano/molten boulder req only 40 skill pts, you have plenty left if you don't synergize fire. Why not max tornado and cyclone armor, gaining a non timered melee range attack and elemental protection. Then max oak for more life.

At slvl 46 your skills would be:

Volcano: 1k
    Molten boulder: 1.5k
    Tornado: 3k
    Cyclone armor: 1.5k

Not sure what to call a druid with this skill distribution...and I'm not sure if this build has been done formally tested and named before =/

I'm not sure if the damage is enough to be viable.. that is if the added flexibility over a pure windy warrants sacrificing 3k damage tornado.

I'll probably have to work out strategies to make it effective =/. I'm currently putting together the equip to test it...

2. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

This is what really makes fire based druids hard to make in pvp. They are viable but take a lot of time an patience.

3. MightyTitans

I agree. Thats why I thought a non timered skill should be used in conjunction and since fire skills all have timers and are easily negatable, why not forego fire altogether and use volcano/molten with a spammable wind skill.

I went with tornado for the high damage, but maybe twister would work well with volcano/molten boulder in stunning.

4. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

are you trying to be a lld b/c your stats are shown for lvl 46.

5. MightyTitans

I meant skill lvl 46 for the spells. Sorry if that caused confusion. This build would require close to lvl 90 to complete. This doesn't exclude lld, but I'm even more unsure how well that would work than I am already about hld.

Also, maybe fire isn't to be disregarded vs at least melee chars. It forces them to use hotspurs or noko, both of which are important damage increasing slots, usually taken by highlords and gores. This reduction in theyre damage could be useful in a fissure/volcano/tornado hybrid.

6. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

Good thinking! Try it out and see how it works. I'd be interested to see how effective your Tornados will be unsynergized, and likewise for Volc/MB. Way to think outside the box, though.

If I think of a good build name (assuming it works out well and/or you write a guide) I'll let you know. :)

7. MightyTitans

Thanks :D. I'll post some concrete results when my guy is done. Hopin he doesn't suck! *crosses fingers*

8. Bigru

Bigru IncGamers Member

if your on europe non ladder, which i doubt, id be happy to do some testing with u, as we both are making fire hybrid builds, also i wanna know if urs will be more effective, allthough i cant see u taking out a melee char very easily, but who knows ^^

9. MightyTitans

I'm UsEast Softcore Ladder :D Too bad, I would enjoy doin some testin with you hehe. For melee I am speculating that molten boulder + tornado is key, though I don't know boulder's mechanics in pvp. For tele ww barb, maybe cast molten boulder and constantly tele so your in front of the boulder, so when the barb teles on top of you he'll be hit, all the while spamming tornados and recasting wolves? For others, I guess try to keep boulder(s) between you and the other char? I won't know really until I finish the build heh. Otherwise I'll consider splitting remaining pts between oak and fissure. Fissure + tornado might do the trick. Anyways, good luck with your druid :thumbsup:

edit: Forgot to ask what your dru hybrid is, lol.

10. Bigru

Bigru IncGamers Member

just 20 points i grizzly, wat the guy in the other thread was going on about. maybe u should just walk behind boulder? as u prob wont have any block anyways. would be funny, prob ent work vs ww, as its mainly good because boulder knocks back, and u cant be knocked back when ur wwing ^^, but if it hit before they ww, then it should hit em 2-3 times

11. MightyTitans

Walking behind the boulder towards a melee, that sounds fun =P. I wonder how often boulder hit checks are made? If its everytime a guy is on the boulder, maybe it will hit before a barb is able to initiate ww after they teleport onto you and the boulder. Also, though it may hit and not knock back, the hit adds significant damage to go along with the tornados. I haven't decided on the issue of block yet, though I think I will max it. Walking would probably be a good idea to keep block at 75%. Max block + wolves soaks up a majority of the hits. Hopefully I will be able to last long enough to kill the barbarian monstrosity that is tele + ww.

Also like I said, I might split between oak and fissure and play dodge the bull. Fissure will do damage if they dont spur or noko, and if they do, they will lose damage from gores or highlords, while you play dodge the barby and spam tornados whilst recasting wolves.

edit: Does anyone know what someone running into the back of a boulder will experience lol?

12. BipolarTemp

BipolarTemp IncGamers Member

As I understand it from the fire guide in the strategy compendium, anything hit by a boulder is knocked directly away from your character's current position. I'm not sure how this would affect the knockback if you tele in front of the boulder and your opponent teles on top of you. Technically, they'd be knocked in the opposite direction the boulder was traveling, if I have the picture in my head correct. That seems weird, but it follows the rule. I'd test if I had a druid who could teleport. :p

13. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

What is lld, and hld?

Nice built there :thumbsup: I guess it will be good versus casters ^^. You could deadlock them with volcano, and then run/tele to them and spam tornados, and repeat. That would rock their world ;). Versus chars with more life than stunlock allows, I really don't think your molten boulder trick would work more than one time :p. Giving maybe 1k of total damage together with tornado spamming at the same time, if you're lucky :). That is still nice, but then you'll might need to find another way of battling ;).

14. riath

riath IncGamers Member

Low level dueling and high level dueling.

This build looks very interesting. It seems like it could pack a punch, but would be difficult to use to its fullest potential. If it sucks at first, just practice more. I suspect this is the sort of thing where you need to be very familiar with the mechanics of the skills and the strategy involved with them to excell in duels.

15. MightyTitans

Hi, I've done some tinkering around with the elemental skills calculator, and figured out a pretty good setup of skills that I think I will try.

16 Tornado
    16 Hurricane
    16 Cyclone Armor
    16 Molten Boulder
    16 Volcano
    1 Arctic
    1 Twister
    1 Fissure
    1 Firestorm
    1 Raven
    1 Spirit wolves

With my equip I'll do 3.8k Tornado, 950 phys volcano, 1.3k molten boulder, and around 2.2k cyclone armor. edit: about 1.5k hurricane as well.

The remaining points (16 at lvl 90) you can pump oak sage or pump grizzly. I don't know which I will do, though I'm kinda leaning toward sage. Or I'll pump more into tornado or its synergies.

I was thinkin of tele + molten + tornado as a possible attack vs most chars (cept barb =/), though I don't know if it hits fast enough, it would be cool if it insta knockbacks giving you time to nado. If they try to tank, theyll be knocked back guaranteed though i think :). I'll test that as well.

Basically, my strategy will be to act unpredictably. Volcano and tele around for a while, then swoop in for molten boulder/tornado/hurricane, then going the volcano thing again. I realize this build doesn't have the raw power of pure wind or fire druids...but the flexibility makes up for that hopefully :D.

Been real busy with school work this week =/ so probably have testing done by this weekend.

edit: just made delerium out of +3 tornado and +3 volcano...seems perfect for this build =P.

edit: if volcano stuns thats great, then I can swoop in, if it doesn't its still alright as I don't really plan on relying on stun =/.

16. psuedoenviro

psuedoenviro IncGamers Member

Your build may benefit from 1pt to Oak and Armageddon. Seems like a solid plan that will give you a chance to test out skills before decideing what 2 you really want to focus on by maxing them + synergies.

17. MightyTitans

I have built my druid, hes now lvl 85, max vit build. Here are his stats:

169 str
    58 dex
    495 vit
    63 energy

With bo:
    2.4k life (3.4k with oak)
    910 mana

lvl 47 molten boulder - 1.7k physical damage
    lvl 47 volcano - 1.1k physical damage
    lvl 46 tornado - 3.7k physical damage
    lvl 46 cyclone armor - 1,798 elemental damage blocked
    lvl 35 hurricane - 1.25k cold damage

Need 11 more skill points to max hurricane, so this build will be done at lvl 96.
    Finished, his tornado damage should reach 4.7k, cyclone armor 2.2k, hurricane 1.8k.

He does well right now vs. most casters and zons but is not as effective vs. tele ww barbs, paladins, and trappers. Pure wind druids can pose a challenge as well.

I'm on USEast, named Contraception, *the_hellspawned. Would like some duels anytime =P vs. good duelers to test his real effectivness.