Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Reason #23 Not to Stow Away in the Landing Gear Compartment

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by giantpinkbunnyhead, Jun 8, 2005.

1. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

Reason #23 Not to Stow Away in the Landing Gear Compartment

In case any of you had ambitions to get from A to B by hitching a ride inside the landing gear cavity of an airplane, you might reconsider after this!

(cut/pasted from CNN.com)

FLORAL PARK, New York (AP) -- The body of an apparent stowaway was ripped in half during flight Tuesday and his leg crashed into a suburban neighborhood, where a homeowner found the severed limb in the middle of her lawn, authorities said.

Pam Hearne heard "a loud crash" and later was stunned to see a foot clad in an Adidas sneaker and a sock in her yard, said Officer Thomas Blanchard. The leg, with hip and spine attached, dented the shingled roof of her garage before bouncing into the lawn.

Police suspect the remains are from a stowaway who may have been crushed as the South African Airways jet lowered its landing gear on its approach to Kennedy Airport.

Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Jim Peters said the pilot of flight 203 would have probably started lowering the plane's landing gear in the sky over the home in Floral Park, about 5 miles from the airport.

Peters said a Customs agent that met the flight at the airport found another leg hanging from the wheel well.

The airline said in a statement that the flight landed with "no impact" on the passengers and crew and it was working closely with authorities to investigate how someone may have stowed away.

The flight originated in Johannesburg, and made one stop in Senegal. Authorities had not identified the remains, which were hauled away from Hearne's yard in a plastic bag.

Hearne, a special education teacher, said that when she first saw the leg in the grass, "it didn't look real."

"But I am very glad that I live where I do," she said, "so I don't have to run for my life like this man probably was doing."

There have been cases of stowaways being crushed by the mechanism in aircraft wheel wells and perishing from the extreme cold at high altitude.

2. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

This is an outrage, how much longer will the airplane companies deny us of our right to live out cartoon experiences in real life?

3. Johnny

Johnny Banned

I wonder where the Torso/head/arms went.

4. giantpinkbunnyhead

I would guess those parts were left inside the wheelwell. My bet is that the guy was already dead... This flight's last stop was in Africa, so it was up at cruising altitude... where it's about minus-50, for probably 10 hours. The wheelwells are not heated, nor are they pressurized. Assuming he didn't get crushed when the gear retracted after takeoff... which is very likely considering the accordion-style landing gear doors, then he got iced... literally... in the severe cold, if he didn't die of hypoxia first.

I wonder who gets to clean out his splattered/crushed leftovers from the wheelwell? I'm sure that's above the scope of the ground crew and mechanics... Yuck.

5. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Il do it. For free even.

6. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

This certainly isn't the first time this has happened. Cartoons kill!

7. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

Cartoons don't kill people, animators kill people. With really sharp colored pencils.

8. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Thats what you get for buying one of these cheap tickets online, you think you get a window seat, but in fact you end up in the landing compartments with very low temperatures, little oxygen and something even worse than the plastic food the other passengers have to eat - death.

9. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

It was sad to see this on the news last night.

It would be classified as a bio-hazzard. Most likely a special team was called in.

10. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Theres a career option for you... human biohazard remains cleanup team.

11. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

For me? No thanks. But there are people who do that. It pays well from what I have heard.

12. Damotta

Damotta IncGamers Member

On one episode of Insomniac with Dave Attell, he cruised around with a guy who was working as one of those biohazard clean-up crew members. He did say it paid well. He also seemed to not be phased a bit by people's mutilated bodies. I guess you have to be like that in that line of work, but I certainly dont know how one can train themselves to desensitize it all.

13. giantpinkbunnyhead

yeah.. that would be tough. I mean, say you're working and at the end of your shift, you get to clean up a splattered human with all the blood vessels and tendons hanging about... then you get home and your wife has prepared spaghetti for dinner... *shudders*

I think those guys need a Budweiser "Real American Heroes" toast.

14. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Once at work a guy got pulled into a machine--they just had another employee clean it out. He said there were bits of meat and fat hanging stuck in the the racks and on the pallet changer.

15. Damotta

Damotta IncGamers Member

That's disgusting. Where do you work, and what kind of machine?