Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Reaper of Souls Patch 2.2.0 Preview

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Flux Submitted a news story

Reaper of Souls Patch 2.2.0 Preview

[​IMG]Blizzard has posted a juicy preview of the features coming up in Patch 2.2.0, which they say will be coming to the PTR "soon." According to past planning statements, we should expect this to be the game mode that goes live after Season Two ends, and which we'll be playing when Season Three starts up, something like 3-5 months from now.

Patch 2.2.0 has a lot of awesome stuff, including new legendary items and affixes, three new item sets, three new types of Treasure Goblins, new Rift layouts, lots of new bounties and Exploration bonuses, Quality of Life improvements, and moar! Check out Blizzard's juicy Reaper of Souls Patch 2.2.0 Preview:

First Look: Patch 2.2.0

Patch 2.2.0 is currently in development and coming soon to a Public Test Region near you! Here's a first look at some of the new content and changes you can expect to see and, of course, test to your heart's delight once the PTR is live.

• Legendary Updates
    • Adventure Mode Updates
    • Class Updates
    • Quality of Life Updates

*Please note that this is a preview. This information does not reflect all the updates coming in patch 2.2.0 and is subject to change. Some images represent works in progress, and may not be representative of the final product.

Legendary Updates:

New and Improved Sets:

One of our main goals this patch is to introduce more sets that could compete with the most powerful ones currently in the game. To that end, we're debuting three new 6 piece sets in patch 2.2.0—Unhallowed Essence, Wrath of the Wastes, and Delsere's Magnum Opus. You'll be able to take these items for a spin on the PTR (in Wrath of the Wastes' case, literally)!

[gallery link="file" ids="382944,382953,382943"]
    [gallery link="file" ids="381513,381512,381510"]

In addition, we're redesigning—and, in some cases, adding—bonuses to existing Sets like Zunimassa's Haunt, Raiment of a Thousand Storms, Roland's Legacy, Tal Rasha's Elements, Inna's Mantra, Natalya's Vengeance, and Immortal King's Call. This means a grand total of ten new or revamped play styles to try out!

Click through to continue reading this big preview:

New Legendary Item Powers:

Sets aren't the only new items you’ll see in patch 2.2.0. We're also adding over 15 new Legendary powers in the form of Legendary gems, armor, rings, and more, as well as updates to existing items.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Among these new Legendary powers include the one you, our community, helped create during the BlizzCon Legendary Workshop! We're still finalizing the details on this item (including its name), and we'll be interested to know what you think once you've had the chance to test it out on the PTR.

Adventure Mode Updates:

New Rift Layouts:

If you've been playing lots of Nephalem or Greater Rifts, you may feel like you've seen them all. Starting in the patch 2.2.0, however, you'll begin seeing some new Rift tilesets based on the Fields of Misery and Festering Woods from Act I, Stinging Winds from Act II, and Fields of Slaughter from Act III. Their map layouts are randomized as well, so they’ll look different each time you explore them. Below, you can see two of these new layouts; the first image is a randomization of the Stinging Winds, and the second is based on the Festering Woods.

[gallery link="file" ids="382950,382951"]

New Bounties:

If you're a fan of Adventure Mode, you'll be happy to hear that you'll soon have over 20 new bounties to discover in Acts II, IV, and V. We're also introducing a brand new type of bounty to the game: Exploration. As the name implies, these new bounties involve exploring an area and finding people who need to be rescued (if they're good guys) or slain (if they're not). You'll see 14 bounties of this type across all Acts in the game.

Class Updates:

Unlike some of our previous patches, patch 2.2.0 will not have a large focus on changes to class skills. While certain skills will be receiving updates, they will be relatively minor in scope, aimed more at fine-tuning current overall balance and providing synergy with some of the new Legendary powers mentioned above. Some of these changes include directly buffing certain skills (like the Crusader's Punish skill and Witch Doctor's Fetish Sycophants skill) as well as implementing some quality of life improvements (like adding an icon that shows the number of active Sentries for the Demon Hunter).

Class balance is an ongoing endeavor, however, so it’s likely that changes will continue to be made and tweaked through the course of the PTR.

Quality of Life Updates:

New Goblins to Chase:

For those who never tire of hunting Treasure Goblins, we're introducing three brand new ones to slake your thirst for gobbie slaying. The Gelatinous Sire splits into smaller goblins, the Gilded Baron helps satisfy your never-ending greed for gold, and the Insufferable Miscreant has friends to help him run interference. Be on the lookout, and good luck chasing after them!

[gallery link="file" ids="382948,382947,382946"]

New Cosmetics Window:

Want to take your Spectral Hound for a romp around Sanctuary without worrying about taking up valuable inventory space? Well, now you can! Starting in patch 2.2.0, any cosmetic items you own can be easily selected from a new interface, so all your visual goodies will be a click away. This includes items whose effect is only for looks and which don't directly affect gameplay, like wings, pets, portrait frames, and pennants.

[​IMG]

New File System: CASC

For many years, Blizzard games have used a file format called Mo'PaQ (MPQ for short) as a way to compress and store game files, but it has had a number of technical limitations. To address these, we're switching Diablo III over to our proprietary file format called CASC (Content Addressable Storage Container) in patch 2.2.0.

This new file format has lots of improvements that directly benefit players, including a self-maintaining file structure (which helps prevent errors during installation), a faster and more reliable patching process, the ability to hotfix game client data, and a whole lot more!

The first step in transitioning Diablo III players will be converting existing installs to the new file format when patch 2.2.0 goes live, while using as much of the existing installed data as possible to reduce additional downloads.

Note: This change only applies to the Windows/Mac version of Diablo III and Diablo III: Reaper of Souls, and will not affect the console versions of the game.

But What About...

While these are a few of the more noticable adjustments we're making, patch 2.2.0 will also include several additional fixes, quality of life enhancements, and other changes not listed above. We're eager to hear your thoughts and feedback as you try out the patch, and look forward to reading your comments below and in the forums.

See you on the PTR, nephalem.[source]http://us.battle.net//d3/en/blog/17989719[/source]

Sounds like a lot of big and good changes, and coming what feels like surprisingly soon. The last patch and PTR went on so long that my sense of time is off, and I feel like I'm just getting started on S2. That said, can't wait to get on PTR and see the new goblins, new items and item sets, new rift layouts, etc. And I'm happy to finally see Bounties getting some love; hopefully some boosts to their Shard rates or Cache qualities to make them more competitive with the usual RiftRiftRift end game.

What grabs your attention about the upcoming patch changes?
    Continue reading the Original Story

2. Mithron

Mithron IncGamers Member

Roland Set changes make me very excited. I absolutely love playing a pure attack speed, no CDR Slash/Sweep Attack Roland Crusader but it can barely handle GR27, I hope that this makes it viable in 35+ at least and I never have to touch CDR. Attack speed and using generators as my main source of resource is a lot more fun on every class IMO.

3. koko

koko IncGamers Member

2 disciplines by generator cast (and this is the two items bonus)? OP isn't it?

4. Turbojugend

Turbojugend IncGamers Member

I want to kill the Rat King or whatshisface!!!

5. Cipherthros

Cipherthros IncGamers Member

I hope the male wizard has the same chest piece design!

6. Zhevie

Zhevie IncGamers Member

So, unless they're changing some runes around, it's going to be absolutely necessary to use the arsenal rune with multishot with this new set?

7. dezzo

dezzo IncGamers Member

so are they gonna ****ing remove the invoker set?

8. trocadero

trocadero IncGamers Member

If we have to comb an entire Act 1 level just for a got-damn RoRG b/c of this "Exploration" bounty, I'm gonna cut someone. Also, it'll be interesting to read about all these great bounties in other Acts we'll never do b/c none of the goodie bags are worth a damn w/o RoRG.

9. ADest

ADest IncGamers Member

"For many years, Blizzard games have used a file format called Mo’PaQ (MPQ for short) as a way to compress and store game files, but it has had a number of technical limitations. To address these, we’re switching Diablo III over to our proprietary file format called CASC (Content Addressable Storage Container) in patch 2.2.0."

Who wants to bet this is where everyone's account data gets corrupted?

10. Lanthanide

Lanthanide IncGamers Member

Funny actually, how those legendary crafting components were seen as a bad idea and removed from the game.

They could have just moved them into the appropriate act bounty bags instead. That way people would actually have an incentive to do the other acts.

The other act-specific bounty legendaries are all pretty uninspired and under-powered.

11. Lanthanide

Lanthanide IncGamers Member

Well it shouldn't, since all account data is stored on b.net (always online) and this is talking purely about local content on your PC.

12. Spriggen

Spriggen IncGamers Member

i smell micro tansactions incoming..... that new cosmetic interface seems like it will offer more than what u own

13. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Why shouldn't they make it useful instead?

14. HardRock

Assuming it stay like it was at BlizzCon (unlikely), how does this set make Discipline less relevant? I think the contrary is true, since now it will be much more of an offensive stat and offense is everything in this game.

15. HardRock

Honestly, looking at this version of the new DH set I think it will need buffs.

10% damage per Discipline may sound good, until you consider that you need 50+ Discipline for your own damage to surpass what you could achieve with Marauder. Sure, you won't need to drop Sentries for it, but that's another way of saying that your damage will be halved in most cases, since Sentries still do tons of damage.

The main benefit of this set is that it doesn't require the Bombardier's Rucksack quiver to achieve good damage. That would be enough, if there would be a quiver that supports Multishot well, but there isn't. The Odyssey's End bow does sound like a good match for this set though.

The set also has many defensive benefits due to the amount of Discipline you'll generate, but defense of course becomes meaningless after a certain GR level. Shame, the 2 piece bonus could be interesting together with the Shadow Set's 4 piece.

16. HardRock

First they would need to make crafted items useful in the long term. Crafted Ancients are nice, but a dropped Ancient with a good Legendary affix is heaps better, not to mention sets.

17. HardRock

Let me put this here: http://www.dorkly.com/post/41589/rpg-lady-armor

18. Flux

Flux Administrator

Yeah, the Multishot set is going to put a huge premium on discipline from gear. If it works as it did in the preview, everyone will try to find a way to wear 2 pieces of Nat's with a RoRG for the partial set bonus.

That hardly any skills use Discipline and the set makes it very easy to refill is kind of a by product, but basically with that set you'll have 60+ Discipline and it'll always be full.

19. HardRock

They said that updating all 4 piece sets is amongs their plans. I assume they started with the ones that they already had better ideas for. I really hope crafted sets will be updated as well, as currently Aughild is the only goodish one and maybe a duo of Ancient Hallowed weapons.

20. HardRock

Meant to be a reply to Rageburst, but I derped.