Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Reaper of Souls Gamepad Support Alternative

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Stiven, May 8, 2014.

1. Stiven

Stiven Diabloii.Net Member

There's nothing better than farming legendaries in Diablo III from bed while playing it with gamepad and watching it on big TV.

Wanted to try making a profile for Logitech Gampad Software, and I think I did a nice setup. I manage to farm nice and easy, T1, 2 and 3, while for T4 is a bit hard to play - till I get used to it. It is still hard to pick up items, work with inventory (it's a bit slow), or changing the bracers for shrines.

I have all shortcuts I need, Game Menu, Bottle, Teleport, Map, Skills, inventory, all action bars. I'm still trying to make a better profile, so if anyone here uses the Logitech Gamepads fell free to use my profile / modify it and give TIPS " so we ca enjoy this game comfortably.

Software u need: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/wireless-gamepad-f710#section=downloads
    My Profile: http://www.adriacraft.net/share/d3_ros.xml
    BTW, I think this will work on other Logitech Gamepad 310 / 510.

How it works:

2. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock Diabloii.Net Member

I don't have a logictech, but I use joytokey with a xbox360 controller and it works well for me. You can still see your cursor so picking up items and managing inventory is very easy.

3. thefranklin

thefranklin Diabloii.Net Member

Doc: Is there a joytokey profile to download? How does the controllability work? I am very curious about this, would make my life a lot easier.

Thanks,

4. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock Diabloii.Net Member

As far as I know, there aren't profiles. I'm using joytokey ver 3.7.4. It is free to download and when you open the program, it should look something like this:
    [​IMG]

When you have the program open, click on the "Others" tab
    Click the check boxes labeled "Use Axes other than X and Y" and "Use POV switches." This will allow the program to recognize analog stick and D-Pad inputs respectively. There should be a slider on the bottom that says "Threshold for input". This controls how much pressure is needed on analog sticks before the program will recognize input. Adjust it to a level that feels comfortable. I have mine at 10%. Once you've done that, double click on each button setting and input what you want each button to do based on the device you are using. For instance, an xbox 360 controller's button map looks like this:

[​IMG]

This is how I have my buttons mapped.

Because I have customized my hot keys, I'll summarize as well.
    Left stick - moves cursor
    Pressing on Left Stick - potion
    Pressing on Right Stick - show items on ground
    Left trigger - Force stand still
    Right trigger - Force move
    A,B,X,Y, Left Bumper and Right Bumper - Skills 1 through 6
    Back Button - Skill Tree
    Start Button - Game Menu
    D-Pad Up - Town Portal
    D-Pad Left - large mini-map
    D-Pad Down - Inventory
    D-Pad Right - World Map

It took me about 30 minutes to set it up the first time and a few hours to get used to using the controller, but it feels very natural now, and I set up key maps for PoE, TL2, and Marvel Heroes in just a few minutes after figuring out how to do it for D3. This is the only program I've used so I can't compare it to others. The set up seems confusing at first, but once you start playing around with it you should get a feel for how it works. I can say that, in my opinion, this set up works best for a ranged play-style and content that is easy for you to farm, but I've used it on melee characters as well.

As far as controllability, it feels good. I hold down the right trigger and move the left joystick around to move my character and let go of the right trigger to cast an ability and use left trigger if I need to stand still as if I were holding Shift. I'm playing a Fetish Witch Doctor, so I do spend a lot of time channeling Firebats which the controller is better suited for than say spamming a primary the way a Monk would. I would probably change a spammy build to have the most used ability set to the right trigger on the controller and force moved change to the A button. I'm currently farming T5 and T6 comfortably both in groups and solo. Cursor movements are not as fast as they can be with a mouse and I do occasionally lose my cursor as you can't "feel" where it is as well the way you can with a mouse, but overall I like it a lot. I would prefer to use keyboard/mouse but my hand and shoulder can't take it anymore.

In short, if you have issues with prolonged mouse/keyboard use, I highly suggest figuring out a way to use a controller Hope that helps.

5. thefranklin

thefranklin Diabloii.Net Member

Thank you very much for the analysis.

My main is a demon hunter, so the ranged gameplay is a plus, and using force move with mouse and keyboard in my normal gameplay enviornment is too tough. My 2nd favorite is a snooze and hold right click cdr monk for solo rifting. Both of these seem really good for a controller. I lose my cursor in long multiplayer battles, too, so no shame there :)