Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Reaper of Souls Anniversary Approaching

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Flux Submitted a news story

Reaper of Souls Anniversary Approaching

We're drawing rapidly closer to the March 25th, one year anniversary of the launch (party!) of Reaper of Souls. Blizzard has kept mum about whatever celebration plans they might have, though they've probably got something in mind for this coming week. Remember D3's anniversary week got us a "doubled it" legendary drop rate buff that was ultimately made permanent.

Thinking back over the past year, it's a blur, but a mostly pleasant one. It seems like more than a year, partially since the Reaper of Souls beta test ran for months before release and included almost the entire game, plus we also got a huge revision when D3v2 went live well before RoS' launch. But also since when I think back on what we were doing in D3 vanilla, it feels like late stage Diablo 2. Repeating the same content multiple times on the way to level 60, endlessly grinding the same boring non-random levels, auto-salvaging 99% of drops while hoping to find one of the handful of useful legendary items, etc.

What do you guys remember about D3 vanilla, and the changes we've seen in the first year of Reaper? I'm hoping someone has stronger memories and opinions than me, so we can launch some points of discussion this week. Also, we're recording a podcast tonight and while there's plenty to talk about with the news about S2/S3 and the new PTR patch, I want to discuss RoS Year One a bit... and frankly, I'm hoping to pick the community's brain for ideas.

Also, secret note to the podcast doodz. I'm out all day and posting this from mobile, and don't have access to my email or address book. So here's your "podcast tonight" notice! If you read this and want to be on the show tonight, email me or just get on skype around the usual time, and we'll roll when I get home.

Just for the nostalgias, here's a batch of RoS launch party photos, which Flux and a bunch of site readers were able to attend.

[gallery link="file" ids="375533,376457,376458,376456,376452,376453,376455,376451,376450,376449,376446,376447,376448,376445,376444"]
    Continue reading the Original Story

2. Mithron

Mithron IncGamers Member

I remember cruising through normal then getting rekt in nightmare as a melee to things like arcane sentries, then everyone whining how bad Melee were in higher difficulties, only because they had no all res gear yet. I remember perma smoke screen and perma Boon Monks. I remember primaries like Bash sending you from 0 fury to full in like 3 hits. I remember my first legendary were a bad pair of Gladiator Gauntlets from a white trash skeleton in Act 1 crypts while farming Nephalem Valor stacks. I remember saving gold to buy my gear at the AH. I remember when 2.0 came out and Frozen Orb was OP and now it's useless.

3. ImmortalD3

ImmortalD3 IncGamers Member

I remember STR rolling on quivers. Watching people spend real money on items that become obsolete in the next patch. Nephalem Valor stacks lol,

4. LukDeRiff

LukDeRiff IncGamers Member

From vanilla I remember loosing half my hp from one hit by the first zombie in Act 1 after entering Inferno for the first time.

I remember beating Belial on Inferno with my Barbarian the day before it got nerfed for the first time.

I remember when this video:
    popped up on some forum and the life of Barbarians changed shortly after. Looking at the video also brings back memories of every Barbarian having to use a Shield. After that everyone dual wielded or used Skorn. 2 Handers were bad in general.

I remember how everybody talked about Life on Hit being superior to Lifesteal early on. And later on everybody used Lifesteal.

I remember listening to Book 8-13 of the Wheel of time while doings Allkaizer runs. And later listening to The Dresden Files Book 1-12 while farming Fields of Misery and prepping Crypt of the Ancients.

I remember when Patch 2.0 came out and the first legendary I found was a cold SoJ which I kept using even after RoS launched. I also remember using Frozen Orb and and almost drowning in nostalgia.

When RoS launched I remember having to think differently since Lifesteal stopped working. I remember how everybody was talking about the legendary timer that ensured you would get at least one legendary every 45 minutes or so.

I remember chest farming in the Core of Arreat and the continous buffs to the drop rate in Rifts.

I remember the huge buff to 2 Handed weapons and them being suddely op.

I remember Shard of Hate being broken. Finding one with my bar, having a ton of fun and then being disappointed when it got nerfed.

I remember when the devs upped the blood shard price on Khadala and the community was furious because they ran out of rare mats.

I remember farming legendary crafting materials for hours. Endless remaking of games to see whether the right bounty spawned.

I remember the old sunwuko set and spamming mantras like a madman. I also remember "driving the bus" with the old Raekor set. Also fishing for Conduits was a thing.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  5. sirBeReN

sirBeReN IncGamers Member

I stopped playing the game just a few months (weeks?) after release, with great disappointment. I barely remember anything. Just started before a week or so, and I really am amazed how many things have changed. I am not very sure how things are atm, since I still don't have the big picture, but the game seems to be by far superior to what it was at release.

I remember the ridiculous difficulty of inferno of the first days, btw.

6. dezzo

dezzo IncGamers Member

i remember how retarded loot was in vanilla.

whoever thought such a loot system / generation was a good idea should suck a bag of dicks for the rest of their lives.

7. Flux

Flux Administrator

I posted this hoping for some thoughts about the first year of RoS... and every reply so far is just about how much some stuff in D3v sucked.

Which isn't especially helpful for my podcast purposes, but is certainly informative about the larger issue.

8. dastan

dastan IncGamers Member

I missed the atmosphere of the beginning of D3 Vanilla, there were hordes of players everywhere in every room in every stages and difficulties, I met so many nice friends at that time :'( Such good ol' days ....

9. LukDeRiff

LukDeRiff IncGamers Member

Apparently, we all got misunderstood your intention. Let me try again.
    The first year of RoS shows a clear evolution in the way that the devs look at the game. While 2.0 and RoS and the closing of the RMAH were good steps in the right direction 2.1 and 2.1.2 in particular show that the devs have developed a much better (albeit not perfect) understanding for their playerbase.

Some promising ideas did not work out such as legendary crafting materials but the team was quick to fix them.

The two major differences I have noticed is 1. Attitude toward drop rates and 2. Item design

While 2.0 introduced legendary powers, many of them were not that interesting since they were pretty weak. Also while the sets were certainly much more interesting than before, they were really not that powerful for the most part. With the revision of several sets (Raekor, Sunwukos, Firebirds etc) and some cool complementary items the item game has become much more interesting. Now if you look ahead, the sets in 2.2 are just on another level both design and powerwise in comparison to the 2.0 class sets.

When Josh gave his talk at GDC this year on sentence jumped out at me "We realized that it is okay to give the player all the good stuff, have them leave and come back later" (paraphrasing)
    In the beginning of RoS there was so much talk about how smart the legendary timer was that ensured that you could not go for too long without getting a legendary. Then they buffed the drop rate in Rifts, shortly after they buffed the drop rate again. They kept the 100% anniversary buff. A couple of weeks into season 1 they made the RoRG much easier to accquire. If you look at all these things you can see that they want to minimize the downsides of RNG (never getting anything good) while keeping the major upside (omnipresent possibility of getting an upgrade at any time). The game is better for it.

Talking to many people, a lot of them say things like "it feels like with 2.2 we finally get the full RoS experience"

The one major issue I have at the moment with they way that dev team approaches the evolution of the game is that they do not take enough time to balance things. I can not help but feel that the game would be much better if they would just some more time and get the numbers right.

10. Silverfang

Silverfang IncGamers Member

Apart from legendary Affixes, it's only been slightly improved by differentiating between primary and secondary affixes since. Randomizing the affixes themselves, which in my opinion is the main drag in itemization, is mostly untouched.

(Other changes admittedly helped to water down its fun impeding impact to a tolerable degree, though, although still not enough to maintain the players interest for long. Regular additions to the game, in form of new content, are therefor still a necessary evil Blizz can't get away from, even if they'd want to.)

11. Mithron

Mithron IncGamers Member

As for first year of RoS, I remember Crusaders being garbage on release, their only viable build was Bombardment - Impactful Bombardment, Laws of Valor - Critical, Judgement - Resolved (Which was 100% crit chance) and the Mortal Drama 2h flail. They nerfed it but buffed Akkhan's and people started discovering CDR. There were a lot of complaints about life steal being gone but that was before CDR became a thing.

12. rberacha

rberacha IncGamers Member

I don't remember vanilla that well because I uninstalled Diablo 3 at that time. Loot that you couldn't use or trade. It was unreal the game was released in that state.

13. Terenas

Terenas IncGamers Member

I remember:
    * vanilla difficulty at launch.
    * the epic fight to kill the Butcher before enrage with two friends Pre 1.04.
    * killing Inferno Azmodan before D3v 1.04 difficulty nerf. I couldn't beat Diablo before 1.04 though.
    * RoS felt incredibly good in comparison, but loot 2.0 was the biggest change.
    * RoS made things more accessible. Even though I'll never compete with the leaderboards I can at least enjoy T6 and upgrading Lgems to 25. Yay for casuals, basically.
    * I do not even remember when Adventure Mode came out, but I love it, and play it exclusively.
    * I still do not like the limited stash space.
    * A5 has nice urban tilesets.
    To name a few.