Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

realm down, lost jah

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by wcwalberg, May 28, 2005.

1. wcwalberg

wcwalberg IncGamers Member

realm down, lost jah

blah! I just got a realm down and I lost my jah rune that I was xfering! This stinks... :'( why does it do that, and can I prevent it? I suppose I should have xfered with a friend... :'(

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Realm downs are mostly random, which means there is no sure way to prevent it. A sure way to *cause* it, however, is to quickly join/leave games, login/logoff or do other evil things.

However, be aware that not doing these things doesn't mean anything --- just yesterday I killed Andariel, and the second I clicked on Warriv I got "connection lost" and "realm down". The other player was still in the game, so I cleaned up with him before I left, but the second I left I got "connection lost" and "realm down"...

So it's not the usual game crash thing that also causes realm downs, since the game was still there --- it was just a random hit.

And yes, unless we are talking chipped gems or EL runes I never drop stuff on the ground... and I always leave with the character receiving the valuable item(s) before I leave the game with the character giving it (this increases the chance of keeping it, possibly duping it, if the game crashes inbetween). When I find a valuable item I pick it up and leave the game immediately to save the char, even though it means a considerable restart-time on reentering (playing a Skelemancer, so I loose all minions in the process).

Other games had "save" commands available to the user, or ways to move items ingame, but Blizzard never cared much about the users.

3. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

i must have posted this about 20 times in the last half year or so, but it s always a pleasure to post it again...

never ever mule alone... unless it s something you realy dont need drasticaly ( you dont care if it goes poof, so to say )

4. HardyTarget

HardyTarget IncGamers Member

The risk is quite big but that's the only option for most people, and you can mule whenever you want unlike with a friend etc.
    The public muling (entering a game where others play and hiding the stuff somewhere safe) is of course another option but there's the downside the game might get full.
    Of course the safest way would be using 2 computers.

5. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

i d rather wiat a day for a friend to show up than loose a jah... just my 2 cent :)

6. HardyTarget

HardyTarget IncGamers Member

You have a point in that.
    I had my first 'poofing experience' recently so I don't value them that high anymore.

7. Bullet-Tooth Tony

Bullet-Tooth Tony IncGamers Member

In my opinion, the safest way to do public muling in Mule Parking games.
    Never mule in Baal/Sewer/Cow or any kind of "... run" games. They fill very quickly.
    Parking games are not. Sometimes you can get RD there, log out, wait until RD goes away, return to game and still see same 3 people and your stuff lying in the place you left it. Noone even has the idea that a Jah might be lying somewhere all this time.
    Usually noone that is in the game is actually watching the screen - so the chance that someone sees your quick join/going out and starts scanning WPs for your stuff is minimal.
    Just make sure everyone in the game is standing in town and nobody is playing in trhe fields.

8. sardoniclysane

sardoniclysane Banned

Well, 2 diablo 2's anyway.

9. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

This is a dangerous prospect. In my experience mule parking games fill quickly and stay full for a long time. You're taking just as much of a gamble in my opinion muling in one of these games as you are gambling on not getting RDed self-muling. Better to find a friend to help you. I think we have help threads here on these forums for such things, and I know I've had any number of people from around here help me mule things in the past. Granted, I haven't played D2 in a few months, but I can still think of a few people on USEast I'd trust. Bottom line is you should be able to find someone to help you.

10. Bullet-Tooth Tony

Bullet-Tooth Tony IncGamers Member

There's no doubt, that getting a friend to help you mule is the safest way.
    I'm talking about situations where you can't do it.
    IMHO, muleparking is the safest in this case, safer than "run" or "quest" games. I don't join parking games if there are already 5 or 6 people there, 1-2, or 3 - maximum. It's pretty safe. Of course, I'm not speaking about any guarantees.

11. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

Let's say you get a 1-hour RD, you return to that same game and your jah would be eaten up by the game. Items on the ground disappear after a short time.

12. Keltic

Keltic IncGamers Member

Realm Down Vs Muling

Realm down's are not really a problem if ur muling. what i do, when muling by myself is, I make a private game for 8 ppl, join, and just mess around for 5-10 minutes so the game stays saved in bnet. I just gamble or go kill some boss or something, anything to pass the time. when i think the game is saved, i do a "test mule" i just drop a potion or something and if the game is still there i proceed with the muling. Now, IF by any chance i get a Real Down thingie, couldnt be more easy, I disconnect my internet connection, connect it right back and Voilà, i can join the game again. Next tim ei leave I will get another real down, but i just disconnect / connect my internet again and I can do this with no probs, since the game will be on for around 5 minutes I believe. I hope this helps, I never lost anything cause of realm down =)

13. sardoniclysane

sardoniclysane Banned

I still think the easiest, safest way is to go ahead and load up 2 d2's.

14. Ankeli

Ankeli IncGamers Member

that doesnt work with static ip's

15. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i think i've definitively figured it out.

when you enter a game, you are logged on to a certain ip. when you quit a game, it takes a few seconds for you to be disconnected from the server. if you try to log into a new game, but you are not disconnected from the first server, it will count towards a 'realm down' or "you are disconnected from battlenet..." it appears that this count only occurs if you do other things when you are still connected to a game server (clicking 'create' and 'join' very fast will also trigger a realm down.)

so, the solution is simple: after you leave every game, wait 5 seconds before going back to the character list or making a new game, or even entering the game you just left. i have tested this extensively, and have gone through over 20 characters in a single muling session without a problem, and done well over 100 meph runs in a row.

16. Feetstench

Feetstench IncGamers Member

Just caused my second Realm down while doing inventory. I think these warnings last 2 hours if I remember.

BTW, if you do use a MH NEVER set it to auto re-install because that will set of the temp ban in a matter of a few account chances, cheating scum! :lol:

17. MacKeyser

MacKeyser IncGamers Member

friends not always an option

I'm an 'older' player, to be gracious about it and simply don't know anyone that plays the game. The kids I work with who game are all Halo 2, Half Life, Doom 3 addicted and Diablo 2 is considered positively ancient.

Anyway, as much as I would love to have people to play with on a regular basis, mule with, etc., like many who play this game, we simply don't have that.

Self-muling is certainly risky, but considering I left USWest because of all of the PKers and trade cheats (I play multi almost exclusively on USEast now), what choice do I have? Start a game called, "lets make friends" so that I can invite the scammers who think I'm a noob who's never heard of the drop-trade scam?

Another thing to consider, even if you have friends who normally play with you is that if you have a good run going and get filled up, what do you do? Just leave good stuff on the ground to keep playing?

Certainly friends are best, but in their absense, it's good to know that there are at least other options...