Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

"Realm Down" has screwed me yet again

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by LtDrebin, Apr 2, 2005.

1. LtDrebin

LtDrebin IncGamers Member

"Realm Down" has screwed me yet again

I was transferring items to a new sorc and i got the "Realm Down" message before I was able to pick them up. By the time I was able to log back on, the game was gone.

I lose an Oculus, Que-Hagan's Wisdom, +3 fire skills ammy, The Ward, an Insight polearm, Waterwalks, The Spirit Shroud, and some others.

Is there a better way to transfer? I don't really know anyone that I trust to hold onto the items, so I usually drop them on the ground in a safe place in a populated game and then change characters. Always worked before.

2. zXz

zXz IncGamers Member

my suggestion to you is never xfer after you been mfing for a while. because then you're more likely to have realm down. specially if you opened a lot of games quickly

what I do when I want to xfer items between my chars is I open a game and password it. then I wait 5 minutes (always give it a little more just to be safe), and drop the items. I then leave and come back with the char I want to give the items to and pick them up. this way I dont have to worry if none of my friends are online to help. and I dont have to drop my items in a game where others may bump into them.

3. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

Make sure that you test the game with another character to make sure it is "permed" before you drop any items in it. Doing it this way can save you a lot of hassles if you leave before the 5 minute mark is up.

(and remember, changing many characters quickly, joining many games quickly, logging in too quickly between failed logins and also joining the same game too often in an amount of time will result in Realm Down or log-in issues. Always make sure that you haven't been doing any of these things just before a character transfer, as they may interfere with your transfer.)

4. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

If your worried about losing items, you shouldn't try and trade alot of items at the same time. Drop a few, quit, rejoin with mule, grab them. This way, you'll only lose a few items (if any), rather than all of them. There's no rush to complete the entire transfer in one sitting :)

5. Oddity

Oddity IncGamers Member

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Want to know what I started doing to avoid Realm Down?

Did I slow down my runs? Nope!

After I finish a run and I'm in the lobby, you know, that point in time where you have yet to start a new game, but you haven't entered chat yet, either. Well enter chat. Say something, anything, just be like "asdlfkjflkdf". Then hit the chat gem a couple of times.

THEN make your next game.

I don't know why this works, but since I've started doing it, no more realm down's, and all at the same speed.

Maybe it's because b.net looks for certain types of actions done in succession, and by chatting/using gem/whatever breaks it up?

6. jantsa87

jantsa87 IncGamers Member

i feel for ya--same thing happened to me i lost a **** load of awsome stuff.
    heres the best way to xfer:

The Diablo Xfer

Step 1: make a normal passworded game with a good character
    Step 2: take your time to kill diablo (kill all tyhe monsters before opening seals, etc.)
    Step 3: once diablo is dead, bring your mule and xfer.

Tips:
    -never use the character with the xfering items to kill diablo, this way u have to join the game to test it
    -if you are very very laggy, DO NOT use this xfer, cuzz it WILL realm down on you, otherwise without lag it will never fail
    -the game will stay up about 20 minutes

7. Ebuski

Ebuski IncGamers Member

Also if it's a lot of stuff to xfer, and you can't bear the thought of possibly losing it to a realm down, you could ask some of the trusted members here to help you.

8. LtDrebin

LtDrebin IncGamers Member

That's very interesting. I'll have to try it.

Those items I lost aren't exactly the best things around in Bnet, but they're among the best I have. It would have been VERY bad if I had lost a Tyrael's Might :p

9. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

i exit bnet to the select your char screen, then just rejoin and i never get rd.. kinda the same idea. :wink2:

10. raphiel20

raphiel20 IncGamers Member

It works because your extending the time between making games. Thus Bnet doesn't think your a bot and try to kick you. However i'd be careful with typing a message in to quickly (and possibly gem clicking rapidly but not sure on that one) as Bnet can still think your a bot if your spamming.
    Also you could mule wih a friend you know and trust well (or with a second computer/D2) and simply trade the items across either directly into the mule or into a holding charecter. That way if either of them drop you don't lose any items. :thumbsup:

11. Oddity

Oddity IncGamers Member

I know how you feel. I found a Stormshield in my first week of playing (er...that was last week!) off Hell Radament quite by surprise, and it's the best item I have - if I lost it now, I would be so pissed, especially if due to Realm Down. :(

I understand some people GIVE AWAY Stormshields because they are uber rich...but when you are just starting or something, Stormshield is huge.

12. newerest

newerest IncGamers Member

Heh, I remember my first "uber" item was a perfect ed bonehew. Found off of hell meph. My first run ever I might add.