Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Realm Choice

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by cursedfrankie, Jun 2, 2008.

1. cursedfrankie

cursedfrankie IncGamers Member

Realm Choice

I am living in Japan, but in 2 months I will go to California. Are there any huge lag issues in playing on a realm in which you aren't actually located? That is, would it be a huge problem to play on the Asia/Europe realms when where i'm actually living in US West?

Also, has anyone found any noticeable differences in player base according to realm? i.e. number of players, age, playstyle,etc.

2. TheNamelessOne

TheNamelessOne IncGamers Member

Re: Realm Choice

I see that still no one has answered this thread, (about 10 hours, pretty unusual?), I think the reason no-one really knows much about this is that just choose a realm at the very beginning and never bother to switch, well what would be the point?

I don't really know the answer to your question, and so far, it's not looking like anyone knows much about different realms or distance-lag issues. Unless there is anyone else out there who has been in a similar situation to you, and the odds must be quite long with a regular membership of what, 10k tops, I estimate around 5k.I don't think many people make such inter-continental moves and play D2 at both ends either.

Sorry, you could contact blizzard/battle.net if you thought it was worth it, I sure one of the moderators could advise you on exactly how.

3. Aien

Aien IncGamers Member

Regarding lag, I tend to doubt you'd have a big problem, but I have zero experience with the issue.

The realm population is generally quoted as USEast Ladder > USWest Ladder > USEast Nonladder > USWest Nonladder. I don't know where Europe fits in there. I also tend to doubt you would find a noticeable difference in population (there always seem to be games of any type going) or age/maturity among the realms. You'd mainly notice a difference in things like the trading community here where it's largely ladder-based.

4. Crowd Control

Crowd Control Banned

Population-wise there's US >> the rest. But since I've heard Asia really has some English language issues, that leaves Europe. This also means that US copes with more dupes as well (though all 4 Realms are heavily affected). This might be directly related to the absolute number of people on the Realms.

Nevertheless, you will undoubtedly encounter some ping problems or something when connecting to a Realm not near yours. Some say it's barely noticeable, some say it's worth sticking to your own. Ofcourse it's up to you, but I can tell you Europe has been my Realm for a while and I love the people over there and I love trading with them too.

edit: reminds me, one my favourite US people on Europe is ffejrxx and I haven't seen him play anything else. He's more of an expert on this than me iac.

5. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Hey, I play Team Fortress 2 on Eastern Coast servers, and I get pretty little lag. If you have a good internet connection, I don't see why you would experience lag - it's not like D2 servers run on 56k... Or do they?.. :scratchchin:

OT: I REALLY gotta get together with you guys - playing alone bores me to death.

6. Garisdacar

Garisdacar IncGamers Member

it basically comes down to, play the realm your friends play.

although i've noticed almost no one plays us west hardcore around here.

7. cursedfrankie

cursedfrankie IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the responses guys, i knew it was a pretty obscure question when I asked it. It seems like a pretty large portion of people on these forums are on European servers, while I have some friends on the Asian servers, and I will eventually be located on US West...so I was just thinking which would be the best for me to play on. Not really a huge issue, just something I was thinking about.

Again, I appreciate all the help. It always amazes me how helpful most people on these forums are.

8. ProfessionalBerg

This forum's moderators do a mighty fine job at filtering out all the scum that tries to get in.

9. Crowd Control

Crowd Control Banned

Hmm, you talking about EuScL? I've never seen you there. We could play sometimes.

10. ProfessionalBerg

Guess we just hang out on different channels - I usually sit on the NOR chat, or play the game.

11. Crowd Control

Crowd Control Banned

Visit Public Chat etf for all your viewing pleasure :coffee: .