Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Really tough graphics card question!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by f3333f, Mar 1, 2004.

1. f3333f

f3333f IncGamers Member

Really tough graphics card question!

Having replaced my geforce4mx460 with a newer card i would like to put my old geforce in my old computer, heres what happened when i tried it:

First time comp booted up as far as im aware but there was no monitor signal.
    Second time there was a signal but it would lose the signal unless i went into safe mode.
    In safe mode for whatever reason /D drive doesn't exist so i can not install the drivers required.
    It doesn't seem to want to accept my card.
    My old comp is a PII 400mhz 128mb ram, previous card was a voodoo Banshee.
    So then, can it be done? Im running windows 98 and sometimes the monitor comes on when i boot and sometimes it doesn't, i also notice that on my old voodoo it has 1 gap on the connectors where as newer cards have two gaps. The actuall socket has just one gap too. You know what i mean right?
    old>> ________ ____ New>> ______ ____ ______

So what do you reckon?

2. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Does your PII have an AGP slot?

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

That or do you have a the cord all the way in? It sounds silly but you would be surprised. . .

Also make sure you have all the proper drivers etc.

4. masterazn

masterazn Banned

I think the socket is not the right one, which causes the card to give..partial signal?

5. Ezakimak

Ezakimak IncGamers Member

You wouldn't be able to put a pci card in an agp slot (or vice versa) and have any sort of functionality (if it would fit at all, without out breaking one or the other.

Take the vid card out of the old machine, boot up to the vodoo card and drivers, uninstall drivers, shut down, replace card, default drivers should give you enough to get by and install good drivers. Sorry for the short and dirty...but got to get back to work :flip:

6. th5418

th5418 Banned

If he didnt have an AGP slot, could he have even put the card into the PCI slow?

7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Heh I just now really read that post. Yeah they shouldn't fit but if you did get it to fit I would say try again. :bonk: Try his idea sounds good. I would also look to make sure that the card and Mobo don't have issues...I have seen it.(School got a bunch of crappy Mobos and some OK cards and they wouldn't work together.)

8. f3333f

f3333f IncGamers Member

The card fits fine, it's just that it has an extra gap on the connectors.

9. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Then its not fine now is it?

10. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Wait, I know what he's talking. My old computer has an AGP slot without that last socket part...but my vid card works fine without it.

11. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

When you have hardware issues when switching gfx cards:

step1: Check if your mobo supports it. You do know which mobo you have, do you?
    step2: make sure that before you plug in the new gfx card you uninstall the drivers from the last gfx card.
    step3: plug in the gfx card correctly. Dont try to plug your AGP card in a PCI slot like my friend did. New mobo's can get quite expensive ;)
    step4:read the manual that came with the card. It should clearly say how you're supposed to install the new drivers. Do as the manual says.

If that didn't work, try asking someone with more pc knowledge to install it. It's hard to answer a question when you can't mess around in the settings or the bios to see what's wrong. If that fails, well uh, take it to a pc store. They get payed to fix all your problems :D