Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Realistic speed issue.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by elganame, Jul 5, 2010.

1. elganame

elganame IncGamers Member

Realistic speed issue.

Some days ago i was watching some D3 vids just to calm my Diablo adiction and realised that we actually dont know allot about the game itself.

There are so many things that makes diablo games a great game that i actually dont know if D3 has...gameplay...realistic issues... :scratchchin:

For example...i saw that all characters where moving in the D3 vids with the same speed, will there be faster walk/run atributes and faster cast or hit %?

In D2 the characters managed to get like superhuman speed and it acctualy was fun but not realy realistic, will they manage to keep this "realistic" issue and allow high lvl D3 character to run faster but not bug looking? Like its runing with fury and some aggresive intention? :)

Will the wizard cast spells like its having convultions when it reaches its max cast speed %? Hope not, it would be nice to keep it fast but real.

What do you guys think about this?

2. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

Re: Realistic speed issue.

It's rather hard as it would probably imply adding more and more animation variations...

I was never bugged by the funny look of high-speed characters, so I guess I wouldn't care much if they did it differently...

But they'll probably add some fast-walk animations considering even Wc3 works with "Walk Fast" anims when the unit gets to certain speed...

3. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

Not a bad question. I am sure they will have some kind of modifications to speed up your character. It may not be like charms were, where you could stack and stack them and be insanely fast. I wouldn't be surprised if they make it just a passive skill like how the Barbarian had them, and that's that. They've obviously simplified a lot of things in Diablo 3, and I think faster run/walk will be another simplified feature.

4. Flux

Flux Administrator

Very little is known about item modifiers in D3. The same was true about D2, until the beta, so that's not a big surprise. Itemization is one of the last things the designers work on, since skills and other major game changes are more important, and need to be mostly locked down before they can start to fine tune item bonuses.

I don't recall any faster movement item mods at Blizzcon, but I could be wrong. There were IAS bonuses. There's also no run/walk option in D3. Everyone moves at a sort of jog, which I hope they do modify. If not an outright run/walk switch, then chars should at least get faster after they've been moving for a few strides, to add to realism and to help cover emptied areas more quickly.

5. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

You are using items to gain magic enhancements to attack speed, or run speed, etc. Where does the question of realism occur?

With the sprite based animation of Diablo 2 you can have things end up looking silly when animations are sped up too fast. I would think that this is a different concern than realism but it is fundamentally addressed by the 3d engine of Diablo 3.

I would be very happy to do away with walking. Also, jogging rather than running makes sense as the movement animation if you are going to allow characters to continue indefinitely.