Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

RealID and D3

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Luckymofo, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Luckymofo

Luckymofo IncGamers Member

RealID and D3

I'm not sure if this has been discussed in a different thread, so...

I'm not sure if RealID thingy from Blizzard will also be in Diablo 3, but if it does, how many people will still get the game? I was all set to preorder it but now....not so sure.

What if an annoying pker and hacker decides not only to pk my char and steal all my stuff in my future accounts, he decides to steal all my real life money then off me....just for laughs?

Or worse: an npc says something like this to my female char:''Thank you hero, for saving Sanctuary. May your name be etched in history forever.....John Lee?''

2. DecayOfSouls

DecayOfSouls IncGamers Member

Re: RealID and D3

If you don't use Blizzard's official forums you don't have anything to worry about. The real ID thing only pertains to the forums. Not the game itself.

3. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Why would you mutually add a Pker and willingly give him any info? o_O I wouldn't do that.

Also, char names don't become your name...

4. Luckymofo

I thought that instead of ''account name'', it would be ''real name'' for account and character. I would never add pkers and bad ppl like them.

5. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

6. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Friends added (and you on their screen) show as the real name. Other people only see your account name, but not your real name.

For a PKer to know your real name, you would have to befriend him.

EDIT:
    I'm going to need clarification form someone who plays WoW. I read this two different ways at once (that was weird).

B.Net already said that friends added, and their friends, all see the real names. It makes some big web it seems.

If you aren't mutual, you don't see it.

But, the article says to add only trusted addons, which seems to not have mattered since it seems any add on triggers this and hinges on you being your own friend.

It seems like bad advice if that's what starts it, but if it only applies to added friends and doesn't trigger it globally, then it would be wise to just add trusted people.

The article isn't making much sense to me XD

E2:
    It was posted when I was typing. I edited after reading.

7. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

Unless they screw up, Sass. AGAIN. See my post above. :p

8. Luckymofo

So I can continue to name my future female witch doctor ''chibi-Gwen''?

9. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Presumably, yes.

I also randomly had a thought...What happens if, in the first and last name field boxes, we put a user name like we'd have on a forum? Like if I were to put Will izSass as first and last respectively?

10. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

(1) It's possible that you would be in violation of the ToS. (I haven't checked the current Blizzard ToS specifically, but it's pretty common that ToS agreements don't allow you to use fraudulent information.)

(2) If your account is hacked, there will be no way to get it returned to you.

11. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

I logged in to see if I could change it manually (you can't that I saw), but the ToS prompted when logging in and I didn't see fraud (but wasn't looking for that specifically).

Why wouldn't it be returnable to me though? How would they distinguish a last name from a username? My example is very obvious, but a name like Cattleya would seem like a possible one.

EDIT:
    For shipping, you wouldn't be able to receive anything. Other than this limitation, which isn't against the ToS...per se..., I didn't find any fraud after searching, and Ctrl + F on fraud doesn't even have the word.

EDIT: The privacy policy only mentions it as a disclosure to act against you or to save you from ID theft.

12. Cattleya

You have to prove that you are the person whose name is on the account. (I believe they make you fax ID and such.) You can't do that if the name on the account isn't actually yours.

13. Davidus

Davidus IncGamers Member

i'm gonna play Diablo 3 not Diablo 3: the forum

14. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

If not that, then there's at least other methods. Ok, so that wouldn't work unless you'd be willing to gamble not being hacked ;P

but...
    I still can't figure out which is true. It's either any friend added triggers you revealing your name to all, or only mutual friends see it and you would thus have to be careful of who you add (which isn't a glitch since the RealID told the user about this before hand).

The article kinda makes it seem like both....at once.. :crazyeyes:

15. Cattleya

Here is my understanding. You can't truly opt out of RealID in game. You can not give it out to people, but it's still turned on, and the game automatically sets you as your own friend.

Addons have access to the names in your friends list, including the real name of people who are RealID friends. Since everyone is automatically their own RealID friend, addons have access to your account name whether you use the RealID system or not.

Addons can communicate with other players, so an addon can send your real name to others through these hidden communication channels.

In order for someone to get your account name, you have to be using an addon that sends out that information, and the other person needs to be using an addon that can receive that information. (The 2 people also need to be connected in some way, by being partied in some way or guilded, or you need to communicate with that person through whispers.)

That means that there is quite a bit you can do to protect yourself, but the only way to be 100% safe is to either not use addons (not really practical for anyone who plays even semi-seriously) or learn enough Lua so that you can verify for yourself that the addons you use don't communicate that information. I don't think that's a reasonable situation when it comes to protecting your personal information.

16. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Do we know if we can remove our self? It seems to be the focal point in the glitch, so removing me would stop them from seeing me.

It still sounds intended though. The only way to get real names is to have both accept, which should reveal the name anyway.

Does it happen when only one adds the other (not mutual), yet info is leaked anyway?

One thing I don't like is that the friend of the friend sees it as well. I may trust the person, but do I trust who he trusts?

17. Cattleya

The problem is the addons can send the names to anyone with an addon that can read it. That person doesn't need to be anyone's RealID friend. That's the core of the issue. The information can be shared with people who are not your RealID friends.

(I don't know if you can unfriend yourself, but my impression is that you can't. We'd need a current WoW player to tell us that for sure, though.)

Edit: Apparently, you can disable RealID by turning on parental controls and disabling RealID there. People are reporting that solves the in game problem.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  18. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

So basically find out and do a series of whispers?

19. Ephraim

Ephraim IncGamers Member

RealID is going to be a part of Battle.net 2.0, and through extension D3 (unless you only play SP). It sounds like you may be able to opt out of it in this case, though.

20. permaximum

permaximum Banned

Ephraim, you just made my day :D Waiting an answer from Davidus :)