Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Real Money Auction House- WTF!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Big Tuna, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Big Tuna

Big Tuna IncGamers Member

Real Money Auction House- WTF!

I'm pretty sure this has been the biggest disappointment yet! I, like many others, despised the Diablo 2 vendors and all the spam they brought to the game.

Blizzard's response to solving this problem is to allow it. So... basically since everyone hates the idea that others can simply go on and pay $50 to get all the best elite items and rule PVP, Blizzard will now allow it FROM EVERYBODY! EVERYBODY IS A WINNER! In essence, instead of trying to prevent real money transactions from occurring (because we hate them) Blizzard will now allow them so long as they can tax everyone...

What have I learned from this? Blizzard does not give a sh** about its die hard Diablo fans and would rather make a little more cash in whatever way they can.

THIS GAME IS GOING TO HELL! F*** Y** Blizzard!

This is a quote from Blizzard from 2007 "From Blizzard in 2007: The game's Terms of Use clearly states that all World of Warcraft content is the property of Blizzard Entertainment, and Blizzard does not allow 'in-game' items to be sold for real money. Not only do we believe that doing so would be illegal, but it also has the potential to damage the game economy and overall experience for the many thousands of others who play World of Warcraft for fun ... While we can understand the temptation to purchase items for real money, we feel that players can find ample equipment and money for their characters within the game through their own adventuring and questing."

2. Vrelk

Vrelk IncGamers Member

Re: Real Money Auction House- WTF!

play hc and profit(don't)

3. YrrAB

YrrAB IncGamers Member

So wait -

I can MF for hours and NOT find the item I'm looking for. Sell all the other sweet stuff I found and BUY the item I wanted?

Sweet! Any system that doesn't involve me wasting my time is a system I'm all for.

4. oscarolim

oscarolim IncGamers Member

At least they contain the items you can buy, you can still buy with gold, there won't be hacked items that give uber properties and you can disregard this feature completely and play the game alone or with your friends instead of random people that spend daddy's money on items.

5. Shadowtwin

Shadowtwin IncGamers Site Pal

No real money auction house in hardcore = no worries. I am concerned that real money trading is going to require a great deal of infrastructure that would otherwise be unnecessary though -I'm sure every country has different requirements for it- which could potentially push the release date back.

6. DivineSweety

DivineSweety IncGamers Member

chinese farmers and the prices will be realy low so every kid can get the best items so there is no reason to farm for gear the best gear gg blizzard.(i knew it was going to be like wow) so sad right now :(

7. s4nder

s4nder IncGamers Member

Where did you get this? If it's true, however, I'm happy as I'll only be playing hardcore.

8. Nizaris

Nizaris Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

Anybody that says this is like WoW are completely and utterly wrong. (in some aspects it COULD be worse).

The best gear in WoW could not be bought via gold. You HAVE to raid for it. It is also Bind on Pickup - which means you could NEVER sell it. Thus, anything you could buy via gold is relatively underpowered via the AH as the goals for WoW are to raid at the end-game development level.

Yes, no RMT for HC. They said "We want to save people from themselves" - Rob Pardo.

Meaning, they don't want people to drop hundreds on a character that could, in theory, lose it all from lag or any other possible mishap and have it ALL be gone. Possibly instantly in a worst-case scenario.

9. NobleNecromancer

NobleNecromancer IncGamers Member

Yes and no, first you would have to wait for someone to want and buy the item you are selling(and hope that they didn't find the same item with a lower price), then you would have to find the item that you wanted.

On system related problem, there is the slight problem with this duel trade system they may have in that there might be a large amount of players that only sell on the real money side and only buy on the gold side.

Personally I don't know how to feel about this, but it isn't going to affect me much as I am only going to play Hardcore.(tho I do wonder if they will allow the possibility of HC to sell items for real money, but not being able to buy any on the RMT.)

10. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/2011-diablo-iii-press-event-diablo-iii-auction-house-faq

What’s the difference between the gold-based auction house and the currency-based auction house?

The gold-based auction house uses in-game gold for purchases and sales. With the currency-based auction house, players will be able to conduct these transactions using actual currency from an authorized payment method or from funds that have been added to their Battle.net account. Players can choose to participate in whichever version of the auction house they prefer, on a per-transaction basis.

How is the transaction fee determined?

A nominal fixed transaction fee will be deducted from the seller for each item listed in the auction house. This fee consists of a fixed charge to list the item, which is assessed whether or not the item is successfully sold, and an additional fixed charge that is assessed only if the item is sold. Because the listing portion of the fee is charged even if the item doesn’t sell, it will be in the seller’s interest to list items he or she believes other players will be interested in, and to do so at a competitive price. Specific details related to the transaction fee for the currency-based auction house will vary by region and will be announced at a later date.

11. Glass

Glass IncGamers Member

No matter what, buying items for real currency would have been possible regardless of if it was Blizzard sanctioned or not. So I'm okay with this.

Especially since you can avoid this by playing hardcore (although there will probably be sites pop up to sell hardcore items for cash...)

12. Dudzy

Dudzy IncGamers Member

Call me crazy but i like the idea. Hear me out, basically this would have happened anyways and besides this will make the game have a very rock solid economy. You wont have to put money in to use it, sell a bunch of stuff with your free weekly postings and use that like it was normal game currency in the ah.

Also, people *****ing about "but i earned my stuff and now no one will know if i just bought it or earned it". No one cared anyways, take pride in it but no one on a online game gives a hoot.

13. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

I think the RMAH is a bold move of Blizzard, but it is also part of modern games (with DLC, micro-transactions and all that).

And if you think about it, the RMAH won't really be stuffed with endless amounts of uber items anyway:
    -First you have to find that really rare item and decide that neither you OR your friends want/could need it
    -Then you put that item in the RMAH for a fixed fee [1ST LOSS OF YOUR MONEY]
    -If someone buys it, you get that amount MINUS a certain percentage on you B.Net account [2ND LOSS OF YOUR MONEY]
    -What are you doing now with all that money? You probably want to get it paid out in real life. That's where they charge you with another fee [3RD LOSS OF MONEY]

Blizz cashes in on at least 2 ocassions of a successful sale while a third party cashes in as soon as you get paid out. Sounds like not many people will be in the position to actually make the RMAH worthwhile (yet I'm sure we'll someday hear a story of "How Diablo 3 made me a Millionaire" because some people are just lucky)

I, like the majority of players, will just use the in-game-currency AH.

14. mouseman

mouseman IncGamers Member

Only one question: do you have to pay real money fee to post items to the in-game currency section of the AH?

This is the big question for me. If I can play the game and trade without using real money, then it's not as bad as being forced to pay even if you are not trading in real cash. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of bull**** flying around, but if you really have to pay real money to use even the in-game currency section of the AH, well, that might be the last thing I ever want to hear from this game again..

15. Dudzy

Dudzy IncGamers Member

Nope, the in game currency section is free.

16. Varquynne

Varquynne IncGamers Member

Personally, I like the concept of a real money auction house. It addresses many problems with third party selling (which would have been inevitable in Diablo 3). Since Blizzard says they aren't going to be selling ANYTHING through it (gear or gold), it's purely player-to-player. Thus, drop rates and item rarity still play in to your ability to get good gear off the auction house if you choose to use it.

You immediately want some super rare item for your level 1 character? Sorry, not going to be so simple as many describe. For one, items are level restricted. You bought the most uber/rare/powerful sword for your low level barbarian? You're going to have to buy something else once you level up appropriate for your level or it's going to be gimp. Along those lines, you probably shouldn't even reasonably expect to find a plethora of those uber pwnage items because players have to find them in the first place. With the team seriously addressing duping, you aren't going to be finding 1000's of the same super rare items listed on the AH all the time. Over time, items accumulate but they've described systems for removing items as well as extending the item base. Jay Wilson discusses some here (source, emphasis mine):

Now look at your own trading. You find a rare item that you really aren't interested in using. You can attempt to sell it on the auction house and get enough money (either real money or gold - though both are going to be essentially linked, which is one of my concerns) to get the actual item that you want for your character. You're item trading.

17. Neem

Neem IncGamers Member

Not quiet, you get a few free listings each week. As I understand it, If you want to list more than that limit you need to pay a listing fee

18. mouseman

Good. Then I can at least ignore the RMT section of the game completely. I want to play the game for fun, not for profit. I don't need to have a 2€ per hour hobby/job on top of my dayjob. And I don't want to pay for progress, as it basically ruins the experience. I play because I want to earn the progress and by earning I don't mean spending my real life cash to get items. I play to get away from the real life for a second.

This is also quite unfair, because it brings the real life rich/poor situation into a game. And here I was, thinking that in games you earn reputation by putting your time and skill into it, not your real life money.

To see Blizzard is sanctioning this.. It is low. I've lost my trust in the motives Blizzard has in making the game and because of that, a little bit in the whole industry. It used to be about making a good game that would sell. You are selling the ability to enjoy a game, much like enjoying a movie. Now it's just.. dirty. You make a game that will make you more money, not because it's good, but because players are encouraged to spend so they don't need to play the game and earn it themselves!

This is what bugs me, they are enabling players to not play the game, because it is already sold, and instead want to give players shortcuts around the game, because that they can sell and profit from.

It is like Diablo 3 turned into a massive facebook game. Honestly, Blizzard, did you not think Diablo 3 wasn't going to sell enough? Did you have to.. taint it?

For me, Blizzard has just sold themselves and the values I thought they wanted to uphold.

Well, enough ranting.

19. mouseman

I tried to cool off, but couldn't.

To me, Blizzard has failed my trust. I will still buy the game, but it will never be the same again.

This I will not forgive.

There is no excuse. Just shame, hopefully.

EDIT: Now I have cooled down. Probably wouldn't write like this now, but I don't believe in editing your own posts out. If you post it, you better own up to it. Right now I just feel like a dinosaur in the gaming world.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  20. Dudzy

Dudzy IncGamers Member

You get a few free listings for the real money AH... the normal gold AH has no fee at all...