Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Real Money AH - Why it's a good thing

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Godzillaz, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Godzillaz

Godzillaz IncGamers Member

Real Money AH - Why it's a good thing

Too many knee-jerk reactions and not enough common sense on the issue ...

First, real money transactions will 100% be a part of the economy in this game. Blizzard can't stop them from happening, so whether it's under Blizzards Aegis or not they're going to be a part of this game.

Now, there are MANY reasons why it's better to have Blizzard regulating them rather than giving third party farmers all the power over them.

1) Blizzard can keep an eye on their AH. A new duplication method is discovered; Blizzard will notice 20 xxxx swords of awesomeness spamming their AH and can shut down the auctions to protect the economy while attempting to break the dupes.

2) Blizzard transactions will be safe and secure, plus any money you want to spend you can easily earn back if you even feel obligated to use RM-AH. Over time you'll probably end up making money off this game.

3) Blizzard gets it's piece of each transaction; meaning they have more money to invest in the security and development of this game. Why not let these people pay to make the game better if they want.

4) Botters and exploit abusers are more likely to be caught if trying to operate in Blizzards backyard. Blizzard can't scrutinize a 3rd party site, and the RMAH makes sites like the D2 one obsolete.

Just give this a chance, people. It makes sense.

2. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

Re: Real Money AH - Why it's a good thing

1) Dupes is most likely a thing of the past with or without AH. While duping has happened in modern MMOs, its a rather rare occurrence and its seems to get stopped pretty fast most of the time. It certainly isn't a reason for currency AH, nor would it help much (trading outside the AH is still possible).

2) That is more like one of the bad aspects than one of the good, so not much to say there.

3) Plenty of other ways they could get money, that wouldnt harm the game as much (such as subscription).

4) Botters and homepages doesnt seem to have much to do with eachother at all.
    You are right that third party sides will probably go away to some degree (they will go away because they will use Blizzards site instead...). But why should botters go away, if anything they would be more encouraged than ever to bot, because their potential customer market just grew a whole lot.

3. Godzillaz

1) That is one of the main reasons people assumed this would "ruin" the economy. Since you agree it's a non-issue we don't have to discuss it.

2) People who don't want to spend money don't have to. People who feel like they need to spend money to stay competitive can earn it back tenfold. You could play the game to earn money to pay for the expansion. Not seeing how this is a bad thing for anyone.

3) This helps the game. Third party RM transactions would hurt the economy way more than a Blizzard regulated AH.

4) Blizzard will notice bots spamming their auction house. They won't notice listings on random third party sites. They've always had an interest in preserving the games economy and now they have a way to more effectively regulate it.

4. popenfresh

popenfresh IncGamers Member

Except we do. Because none of the high tier stuff will ever be traded on de non RMAH...

5. Godzillaz

You don't need to ever pay real money to use the RMAH. You can sell things on the RMAH and earn BNET currency which can be used to buy anything on the RMAH without ever giving a credit card number or spending a dime. If you want to move your BNET money into a real money account, or move real money into your BNET account, that's when you start spending and making real money.

6. Naibchris

Naibchris IncGamers Member

This is what I see happening as well

7. Godzillaz

Read my response above. That's not going to be an issue with this system.

I'm actually impressed at how well Blizzard has thought this out. This is a good system that will kill third party RM transactions and make the Diablo economy much better and more intricate than it was in the past.

8. raishi

raishi IncGamers Member

Cause your too lazy to find it yourself? No you don't have to use it. Can also still set up a normal trade system here on the forums just like in d2 if you really feel that strongly about it.

9. Pwnyride

Pwnyride Banned

But inorder for someone to purchase on the RMAH they will have had to added money somewhere some how. Yea if all i do is sell then no credit card is needed, but the initial people purchasing will have to. I just dont want to never have someone be like hey man thanks for helping out, i would have given this awesome helm to you that is great for your class but i could totally get 1.50 on the RMAH for it... No longer will there be friendship and comradery, it will all be business. Hard to make friends with new people when everyone is only here to benifit themselves and make a profit.

10. popenfresh

Sure I don't have to use it but I'll be crippled if I wanna play in co op or PvP with people who do pay da realz monehz. Sounds fair doesn't it?

I find it very strange that everyone in favour of RMAH thinks it will be a great place to earn money. As if this game will magically grant everyone lots of $$ out of nowhere...?

Now I was never an ace in economics but this doesn't appear to be very sound reasoning to me. That money has to come from somewhere and it sure as hell won't be Blizz, it'll be the dumb saps using the RMAH.

11. Godzillaz

If you sell on the RMAH you can use the BNET currency you made to buy things on the RMAH. No credit card or real money required; you just sell things to earn the BNET money you need to buy things. You never have to spend real money if you don't want to, so it's not an issue.

Also, auction houses in general take the interpersonal experience out of trading; that's not a problem caused by using real money. You can try to set up a barter community on the forums or amongst the people you meet in-game if you want. This is just an option for people who prefer the AH method.

12. woelrat

woelrat IncGamers Member

Yeah because high tier items only come from the action house.

people complain about the AH and it reduces the longevity of the game. Just don't go to it and make your MF-char as with D2 and find it yourself. Still no-one or nothing stopping people from doing that except for their own selfish thoughts that they need to be the ones at the top first.

I remember when I started with diablo 2 that I only played with friends and didn't even care about rushes or the trading going on and still had fun. I don't see it any different with diablo 3 as it looks like now

13. Godzillaz

First, real money transactions won't go away if the RMAH goes away. Everyone who is willing to empty their bank account to get a head start will always be ahead of you ... sorry. This just gives you the option of spending real money in a safe environment if you want to keep up with them, and even gives you the ability to earn that money back.
    The money comes from other people; that's how an economy works. You won't be paying your bills but if you sell all the stuff you don't want you might make enough money to buy the expansion when it's out. Not a horrible deal.

14. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

RMAH should be named "Dumb People Auction House" because in all honesty:
    Who in their right mind will pay REAL money for USELESS PIXELS? Only the dumbest of the dumb.

Imagine you're buying that one legendary that will make you e-peen grow 10 feet for $100. Now think a second about how long you have to work for these $100.
    Sure, they can do what they want with their money. Some people even buy Apple socks.

I'll still think of them as idiots.

15. wasteyface

wasteyface IncGamers Member

Somewhat tangential to my point, but I'm curious as to what percentage of players actually used 3rd party sites to buy/sell items. It seems to me like it was certainly an issue, but I doubt it was as pervasive as Blizzard has made it out to be in their justification for RMT.

In any case, my beef with the whole system is that it creates a perverse incentive for me to not want to actually enjoy the game. Knowing myself, every time I find an amazing item, I'm not going to think, "This is going to make my character amazing," I'm going to be thinking, well, this could be $50 dollars in my pocket." I'm going to feel guilty about using the item when I should be genuinely excited.

True, I will be able to use the RMAH by simply trading and keeping a balance of "Blizz Bucks" or whatever, but the incentive to sell them off for real cash will always be there. Maybe the acute sense of "I'm throwing away money by using this item" will fade with using the system, but I see no compelling reason why this system needs to be implemented in the first place.

This same sort of pressure is not created by third party sites. Third party sites require significant player investment to search out and use, and, at least for me, far removed from my consciousness while playing. A built in system throws the economic incentive directly in my face.

16. Shaelen

Shaelen IncGamers Member

I really like the idea that Blizz helps you get into the system with bnet currency and free weeks to test out the ah. As others have pointed, if you are a good trader, you can essentially get into the system without having to invest any real money. Plus, if there are enough people worried about spending real money on items, it seems that the gold currency auction house will be pretty active. Plus, I'm sure people will still be able to do item for item trades if they don't want to use this system.

17. popenfresh

Sure you can't prevent RMT in a game like D3. The difference here is that it's in the hands of Blizz, and as soon as the inflation gets high enough so that Blizz's revenue will decline they're going to reset the whole thing to spice up the prices again. So you'll have a non RMAH that is useless seeing as in game money will be worth nothing and a RMAH that sells the most epic loot at ridiculously low prices because of the widespread farming. Then when a reset is on the horizon prices will drop even more as everyone'll be trying to sell off their stuff for real $$ before all their in game stuff is gone.

Yea that sounds loads of fun to me, oh an well balanced too I might add.

18. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

Fair enough, we understood the worth 'bot' differently. I am thinking of bots that farm gear. Which I can only imagine will be a very common thing in D3.
    Unlike duping, modern MMOs havent really found a way to stop in-game botting

19. nailertn

nailertn IncGamers Member

Please stop this "no need to participate if you don't want to" crap. It is an open economy and a multiplayer game. The only way you can avoid it is if you never team up with others and never touch anything you did not find yourself. At which point you are playing SP, thus you are hardly the person to discuss the subject of AH with.

Among other things, Diablo's economy is a way to indirectly compete with others. Thing is, I don't want to compete based on the size of my wallet, there is sports cars for that. In fact those are the very things I want to get away from when I play a GAME. Thus silly me, I want to compete based purely on my in-game merits. The institutionalization of RMT undermines the whole concept of fair play.

20. Pwnyride

Pwnyride Banned

Do you buy video games?

Arent video games useless pixles?

Didn't you spend real money to buy that video game?

So are u the dumbest of the dumb because you buy video games"useless pixels" with real money?

If you find a way to buy video games without real money lemme know!!!