Reactions to SP

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
Reactions to SP

As some of you may know, I am not a big SP fan. However, I have decided that since I peruse this forum, and am a regular in it, I should make a character or two. Also, my recent computer trouble (pre BIG trouble trouble) took away internet access for almost 4 days and I was bored. So I made a SP character, just for that time, and deleted it afterwards. Surprisingly, it was fun. Very fun. No "PP plz TP TP TP TP PTPTPPPTPP omg noob" like public baal games, and no lag, my only two complaints about b.net.

Well, that was so fun I decided to make a new character, a skellimancer, and track it's progress while commenting on the advantages of Single Player and B.net. How can I do this fairly? I will start a new b.net character, who will be untwinked with the exception of being able to trade anthing he finds for anything anyone will give him, and he will take full advantage of b.net, i.e. Baal, cow, and trist runs, any free games I might find, questing games, all of it but rushes. At the same time, I will take my skellimancer (Same as b.net) through the game on Single Player, fully untwinked (What do I have to twink him with?) and see which is more challenging, interesting, and fun.

If anyone would like to place bets on which will bottom out first, go ahead. The characters will be

Redemption- Level 24, Skellimancer. Got a head start on the b.net necro, since leveling will be much easier with trist runs and such. So far is commadning an army of 8 skellies and 3 mages, with a point into CE and Amplify Damage. In Act 2, Far Oasis.

GOD_General- Level 1 at the moment, will be started Friday. Will be a skellimancer, just like Redemption.

I hope that this thread is sanctioned by the mods, and hope that it inspires some of you b.netters to try SP and vice-versa.

Day 1 through today- I have been playing Redy on p8 since he got his 3rd skelly, and he seems to be holding his own more now than then. Back in the Stony, where that started, it took 2-3 minutes to kill a pack of goatmen. Now, I can walk through the Oasis with impunity. Simply Amp the enemies and walk past, and a couple skellys take care of them. Bosses are a bit more difficult, but I like the challenge. So far, players 8 is looking to be one of my favorite parts of this project.
Also, I love the exhilaration when a set/unique drops, even though they are very low ones. On b.net, if I feel like seeing some gold, I use my mfer to do 15 mehp/andy/pindle/LK runs and swim in valuables. However, here I treasuring each individual item like it is worth a million HRs. I'm loving it.

So far, the playing has been good, only a couple challenges. The Maggot Lair was a tax on my patience, and several times I ran into a hall full of enemies and got up to make a sandwich. Boredom was my enemy there.

Well, that is it so far, and I must say that the p8 function and feeling of glee at a hint of green or gold is awesome. However, the boredom associated with killing a particularly stubborn monster or clearing a tight, narrow dungeon with stubborn skellys is mind-numbing. Join me next time, when I will tell about my b.net chars first week, and bet on which one will beat the game first, there may even be a prize :wink3:

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
Being a recent Bnet convert, have to say the players function is one of the great things about SP. On Bnet you can't find games that are full to quest in so you can either a) rush through and thus past all the quests or b) quest by yourself. Both of these options leave you at a much lower level than you should be once you get to where you're going so you are forced to run areas over and over for exp at different increments (i.e. Trist runs, or Baal runs). WIth p8 you're the level you need to be when you get there (at least in the begining) so this mindnumbing running for exp is pretty much taken out of the early goings.
But I have to say ATMA is another huge selling point on SP. Try it out, you'll love it.

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
I wish you luck on this endeavor - especially in avoiding boredom. I tried a fishy once, and quickly gave up from boredom. If you have a different 'favorite' character that's viable untwinked, I'd start with that. I don't think I could do two fishys at the same time without snorting cyanide.

Personally, I'm an SP kindof guy for almost any game, but I understand that's not the case for everyone. My best friend since the age of 5 (aka my identical twin that looks nothing like me :cool: - aka the person I used to stay up all night playing The Legend of Zelda with when we were 12 and got our first Nintendo), he's an 'online' person. He doesn't enjoy most SP games at all.

I'm curious to see what this leads to, and where your decision falls in. Have fun, and keep us informed.

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
Couple updates:
Redemption is currently seraching for the headpiece, so that he may clear the Arcane.
He has found his first set(s):
Cathans Shield
[img=http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/6250/screenshot032ab2.th.jpg]
And Cleglaws shield:
No pic.

Also, he has found his very first unique (I'm so proud)
[img=http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/4888/screenshot033wd2.th.jpg]
Take a wild guess what they are!

On the b.net side of things, AllIsLost (I know, different name from initially stated) is level 12, and has just completed the malus quest. He imbued the wand he was using, since the preserved head ([img=http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/3161/screenshot053yv5.th.jpg]) was way to valuable to him to risk.
Decent mods, ones that will serve him well. However, he had to give up a skelly for them, which is not too good.
[img=http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/7668/screenshot054ua5.th.jpg]

Well, that is the progress so far. Next time, there won't be so many pics, I just wanted to show the first uniques and stuff. Join me next time as Redemption moves to Act 3 and AllIsLost tries to find a trist run!

BongoFury

Diabloii.Net Member
To balance things out a little more, your B-net character should be HC, then you'll have to cope with TPPK.

To make things easier for your Skellimancer in the indoor areas, Terror is a great way to clear the doorways and let your minions enter the room where more of them can engage.

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
To balance things out a little more, your B-net character should be HC, then you'll have to cope with TPPK.
I was actually thinking that when I first read this thread. To make it a "true test" of the quality of play and people on b.net.

-hps

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, I was lucky enough to find a friendly guy (Thanks Superficial, if you are reading this!) who helped me through most of act 1. I will try to find games like that, and have vowed to avoid rushes. So, it won't be as easy as it could be.

tartanasia

Diabloii.Net Member
I find sp hc much much easier than realm hc. P8 eldritch runs work out much better than long old baal runs with tppkers lurking everywhere. I also enjoy my character projects much more on sp and look forward to a hr drop. Realm play = no hr drops needed dupers do it all for you.

smilts

Diabloii.Net Member
Wouldnt playing hc for the realms char only be relavent if that is his normal play style online? Or did I get the test confused I thought it was to confirm wich was found to be the funnest play style, meaning what is normaly played online compared to sp play.:))

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
Updates:
Redemption just found a whole crapload of runes, 3 eths, 2 iths, and cubed a tal from them. Has a pTopaz, one of many that will be popped into an armor sometime in the future. However, for now he is happy with his HAWKMAIL! Found off Durry, it is serving very nicely, especially the CBF. Also from Durry, a Swordback will be a nice addition to the melee I am planning later. A Unique in the Tomb was kind enough to give me a Bloodfist and an extra pair of Gorefoots, so now my life is rather high (Actual figures lacking).
Redemption is in Act 3, just found the brain. Level 28, with 9 skellies and 3 mages.

BongoFury

Diabloii.Net Member
I find sp hc much much easier than realm hc.
From purely a gameplay standpoint, SP may be easier, maybe not. But given the state of duping on the Realms, you can have a whole stash full of HRs and EUs with just a few days of dedicated trading and a modest collection of starter items (or Perfect Gems). So playing HC and having to dodge TPPKs, vs playing SC SP, kind of balances things out.

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
Time for an UPDATE:
AllIsLost has been extremely unsuccessful this week in both fighting lag and finding any tristing games, so he is at level 13, I believe.
Redemption, however, is level 34 and doing great around Act 4 at players8. Only one prob: Diablo pwns his skellies like they are moths. I am thinking that I don't have enough points into summon resist, but is leveling 3 or 4 times worth it? Or should I just crank it down to players1 for D and then back up to 8 for Act 5? This is what I was worried about, since my b.net summoner, last time I tried one, was fully twinked and still had a bit of difficulty on D. However, here I don't have the option of transferring a homunculus to help with +skills, or a couple more +life scs.

On a related note, my Meteorber is taking shape, so I may get some twinking going on, but it would be in late NM or early Hell at the very soonest.

IronCrown

Diabloii.Net Member
I would definately advise going p1 for big D. At this setting you will have enough problems as it is killing him. Probably a couple of trips resurrecting a new army will be necessary.

I think persistance and enough time and liberal decrep here is the key. You can try casting your golem too, but he will die quickly. Just remember not to re-enter your portal that is in the durance, rather approach from the wp. You trapped with your army behind a bone prison is not fun ;)

GL - hope to see an update soon of how D went down.

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
Danke for the advise, I took down Big D just a minute ago and he was kind enough to give me some nice items for my not-so trouble. Pictured here is him dying.

Now on to Act 5!