Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Re-rolling small charms

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by IgorekSF, Mar 27, 2004.

1. IgorekSF

IgorekSF IncGamers Member

Re-rolling small charms

This questions relates both to trade values, and to statistics, but I decided to post it here.

In terms of increasing expected value, is it better to re-roll small charms dropped by Ball, in hopes of getting huge elemental damage, or those dropped much earlier in the game, so that the chance of getting life/resist/mf/max dmg as well as fhr/rw/mana and other nice mods is increased?

IIRC, all nice mods except huge elemental damage occur at lower levels; is the extra chance of getting 3xx poison damage worth the decreased chance of getting these nice mods due to increased number of total possibilities?

2. sJw_shan

sJw_shan IncGamers Member

imo it would be more efficient to cube lower-than-baal lvl charms, which you can find more often. you can still keep a high lvl charm (eg from baal) for cubing once in a while though. my thought on cubing small charms is that you will cube useful ones pretty often (eg resist ones, vita ones, r/w with resist etc.) that are worth keeping, so it's not that bad of an idea to cube lots and lots of lower lvl charms.

there are also lower level charms that are worth quite a lot too, eg 3max/ar/vita charms or resistall/vita sc.

3. IgorekSF

IgorekSF IncGamers Member

This was my opinion as well, especially since I don't really need elemental damage charms.

Here are all useful (IMHO) properties one can get on a small charm, with ilvl in parenthesis. Data taken from d2data.net.

Prefix:
    (28) max dmg 1-3, attack rating 10-20
    (33) all resistances, 3-5
    (40) single-element resistance, 10-11
    (48) mana, 13-17

Suffix:
    (35) run/walk, 3
    (37) fhr, 5
    (47) life, 16-20
    (47) mf, 6-7

So it looks like ilvl 48 is the optimal. Now there's the question of getting sc with this, and not much higher, level. I was under impression that ilvl of the item determines its alvl in 3pgem recipe, and that ilvl = mlvl of dropping monster. But diabloii.nu's calculator seems to disagrees, demanding ilvl of 62 to ensure alvl of 48. Can someone comment on this?

Thanks.

4. Ruvanal

Ruvanal IncGamers Member

Those are not the ilvls needed, they are the minimum alvl values that are needed for the prefixes in question. For a small charm (qlvl=28) to get a minimum alvl of 48 would require that the ilvl be 62+. The calculator is giving you the correct information.

5. qhc

qhc IncGamers Member

The data from arreat summit (http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/magic/smallcharms.shtml) have different lv, besically all lower than you listed here. Which is correct?

6. Ruvanal

Ruvanal IncGamers Member

Well the affix informations on AS is so bad that I do not ever refer anyone to it.