Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Re-newbie to D2, Building a Summoner, Need advice/info ifr

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Elizam, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Elizam

Elizam IncGamers Member

Re-newbie to D2, Building a Summoner, Need advice/info

Greetings all,

So I'm building a summon necro like I've always wanted to and I'm finding myself confused on quite a few aspects of building this thing.

Thus far I have max'd skeletons, and have 1 point in most curses, and 1 point in all the stuff leading up to Summon Resist, and only 1 point in summon resist (as per some vague guide I read a few nights back).

I have put practically every single attribute poin so far (level 30) into vitality as there seems to be little to no need for me to have strength or dex or even energy, but all that hp really does help when I DO happen to goof up and get smacked by something before I run behind my skeleton meatshields.

I've been farming gems and whatever runes I can find and I even have the runes to make Stealth (TalEth) but I was wondering if i should wait till nightmare for some exceptional quality POS armor to put it on.

It's just confusing cause I wouldn't want to waste runes on some item to discover later on that I need the same runeword on a better armor piece.

I suppose the necro I'm buidling is referred to as a fishymancer. I'm aiming for max CE max skeletons, max mages, max skeletal mastery.

I'm currently using a Normal Act 2 Merc with Blessed Aim, which I like, kinda eager to get the all-praised Act 2 NM merc with Might.

What kind of gear should I get for my merc? Should I save ALL possible runewords that I can make until at least NM where Exceptional Items can drop?

Any info or links to really in depth guides would be greatly appreciated.

:)

2. Elizam

Elizam IncGamers Member

I forgot to mention that I plan to MF with this guy as well!

3. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

You seem to be going on the right track. Just remember never to waste time with a fire golem, and fishymancers will generally have plenty of skill points left over at high levels (meaning very versatile).

As for your merc, anything that will keep him alive is good. There's no real ultimate gear for mercs, each person is different.

Fishymancers are lucky in that they can solo most of hell pretty much naked. Just look out for items that give +skills.

4. zuke

zuke IncGamers Member

In regards to Runewords - by the time you hit nightmare or hell you'll have low runes aplenty. Thus, if something is going to help you now, then make it. There are plenty of armors that you'll want to wear at higher levels that are better than Stealth so don't wait on something like that.

In addition, you want to give priority to gear with +skills and +resistances for yourself at the moment. The best endgame armor for a fishymancer is Enigma because of it's +1 teleport and +2skills.

As for your merc, the most important thing is crushing blow on his weapon. After that, resists and defense on his armor. Shaftstop is great merc armor when he can wear it because of % damage reduction. At lower levels, I had my merc wear Rattlecage because it has crushing blow too.
    At higher levels for your merc, there are a variety of options - Shaftstop actually will last you quite a while. Duress is a very nice runeword armor for your merc too because of CB and resists and it's relatively cheap (ShaelUmThul).
    Also, make sure to give your merc something so he has life leech. Crown of Thieves, Tal Rasha set helm, or any number of items give nice leech.

5. garion

garion IncGamers Member

for some early runewords...try and "edge" bow on an act 1 merc...make yourself a "lore" helm...and try to get your hands on the "arm of king leoric" for summoning..and then a homunculus (socket this with a pdiamond)..and you should be set to go..also grab all the rings you can find...and put three in the cube and keep cubing them to try to make a +3 summoning ammy....i hope that helps a bit in starting up

oh i forgot..try to get naj's staff too since it has tele charges on it (69 i think) and is a nice switch when you want to reorganize your army...or just move it around....

6. MegaTherion

MegaTherion IncGamers Member

Hey man this is a great idea! I´m serious - I was doing that by TP, but I
    didn´t realized that I can do this also by teleport ... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: