Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

(Re-)Intro, Plus 500 Countess and LK runs

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Pb_pal, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

*Warning: wall of text ahead!*

Last post Aug 7, 2005. :eek:

I used to frequent the SPF quite regularly way back when strijdje did this. Most of my postings were just in the dailies and IFT and such, so I most certainly will not be remembered by anyone around these parts, however it is nice to see some old familiar faces still poking around.

Of course, with so much time having passed, it was inevitable that D2 managed to suck me back in. I haven't played since 1.10, so I welcomed a fresh start in 1.13, and am excited to see how things have changed. With the increased rune drops of 1.13 I figured I might actually have a shot at making some high-end runewords for once, so I decided a good way to start out would be to bolster my mid-level rune collection. That meant paying a visit (or 500) to The Countess. I also took 500 strolls through LK because I was curious how it would match up. Here are the results (breakdowns are in spoiler tags for those inclined):

Countess:
    [​IMG]

El - 25
    Eld - 14
    Tir - 62
    Nef - 39
    Eth - 76
    Ith - 42
    Tal - 102
    Ral - 73
    Ort - 120
    Thul - 66
    Amn - 85
    Sol - 49
    Shael - 48
    Dol - 32
    Hel - 35
    Io - 21
    Lum - 21
    Ko - 8
    Fal - 7
    Lem - 6
    Pul - 3
    Um - 2
    Mal - 3
    Ist - 2

Cubed Pgems - 13

For a total of 941 runes, or 1.882 runes/run. My luck seems to have been pretty much on par with Kitteh's set of 1000 runs , so I'm pretty happy with the results.

LK:
    [​IMG]

El - 2
    Eld - 6
    Tir - 8
    Nef - 6
    Eth - 12
    Ith - 7
    Tal - 8
    Ral - 9
    Ort - 14
    Thul - 6
    Amn - 13
    Sol - 6
    Shael - 11
    Dol - 3
    Hel - 5
    Io - 3
    Lum - 3
    Ko - 3
    Fal - 0
    Lem - 2
    Pul - 2
    Um - 0
    Mal - 3
    Ist - 2
    Gul - 1
    Sur - 1

Cubed Pgems - 78
    Skillers found - 2 (Defensive Auras and Curses, both plain:rolleyes:)

Runs were done on /p3 for a total of 136 runes, or 0.272 runes/run. I don't really have a benchmark to compare this to, but I have a feeling I got pretty lucky with the rune drops in this set. Can anyone let me know if that is correct?

Also, does anyone even do LK runs anymore, or is it all Trav running for HR's now?

I know a paltry 500 runs of each is but a drop in the ocean here at the SPF, but you have to start somewhere:p

It's nice to be back :)

Jocular, felixbavaria and pharphis like this.
  2. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

Welcome back! Nice runes! Which runewords will you make?

3. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

Thanks!

Honestly, not sure yet about runewords. Maybe a couple Treachery for some merc armours? For now I think I'll just sit on my spoils, and be happy with the fact that if I find a HR, I won't have to go searching for a mid-level one to complete a RW I want.:p

Although I did find this during some AT sessions before I did these runs, so maybe a Poisonmancer could be in my near future?

4. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Welcome back, good to see another person that remembers strijdje.

5. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Welcome back.

To answer you your question. Yes, people still run LK. It's best area to farm high runes by quite a margin. But it's done on p7/8 where are a lot of drop patterns, compared to other player settings. On p7/8 you can expect Sur rune once in 992 runs at average, and that is just insane drop ratio. It takes something like 3600 runs to farm runes for Enigma at average (or more or less depending on your luck), and along the way you will probably farm couple of Heart of the Oaks, Grief, Call to Arms and so on. Travincal is more fun though, and better for farming Chams if one cares about them.

6. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow IncGamers Member

What's IFT?

7. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

I think Item Find Thread. The one where you show off your sweet drops.

8. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Hi, and welcome back! You left a year before I joined, so I never met you before. It's nice to see this forum is still attracting some folk to revisit and give D2 another shot. It's gotten a little lonely here lately. :(

Drop by the bar for a drink and some chat (we need more patrons!), be nice to EU's, yada yada yada, you know your way around here. Have fun!

9. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

IFT does = Item Find Thread, like SunsetVista said.

@Gripphon
    I was under the impression that p3 had the "best" patterns, as per The LK FAQ. Is there an updated list of patterns somewhere, or is it just common knowledge that p8 is best? Either way, thanks for the tip! I'll make the switch immediately (until I get my trav barb up and running!) :)

10. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

p3 was the best in previous patches. But with the increased chance of runes, and mid->high runes having a dramatic change, the whole LK scene changed. The link you posted was back in 2009, whereas the current SPF LK Patterns thread was last updated ~mid 2014.
    Lower Kurast has changed dramatically.

Take a look at the /pl7-8 setting, and you'll see a very dramatic change. ;)

Pb_pal likes this.
  11. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

I'll second the P7 setting. I farmed Enigma a while back and it took about 4000k runs or so, all Surs.

12. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

"4000K" runs? That's one hell of a lot of runs! How long did that take? ;)

In terms of actual runes in LK, Bers have increased slightly, but the Surs and lower have a lot more patterns that are possible. You'll find a lot more mid-'almost-high' runes nowadays; enough so that you can easily cube whatever you find, and still have a good shot at replacing them.

It's still not easy - you still need commitment to running, but it's a lot more reliable and quicker than it used to be.

13. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

Wow, thanks Drystan!

That's all the convincing I need. p8 it is from here on out. Thanks for all the info/warm welcomes guys!

14. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

If I recall P7 = P8 for drops, just the monsters have a bit more HP. In case of teleport issues it's safer at p7.

15. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

Welcome back! When I was at your place in September, LK was so boring to me that, I did the Mephisto-Countess-Travincal route instead. If you need a break from countless chest popping, make two ethereal Oaths from Countess runes and rape the High Council on players 3. :) And mostly have fun!

Edit: if you need some basic items missing, feel free to ask. ;)

16. redragon

redragon IncGamers Member

Howsa Pb, and welcome back.

Re Lower Kurast, I recently restarted D2 and after about 2 weeks I found myself at LK looking to re-equip myself with some nicies, charms, jewels, crafting supplies etc as I found it helps to run LK (from my perspective anyway) for multiple objective rather than just runes.

I detailed my finds here if you want a look for motivation. All done P/8

Have fun - ReD

17. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow IncGamers Member

Don't you keep your items and characters that way you don't have to restart all the time?

18. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

Your darn right... at least that's how long it felt.

19. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

@bodry
    Council is in the plans for me, I just have to tear myself out of LK long enough to actually build my barb, so we'll see how long that takes :rolleyes: Thanks for the offer, but I'm going all self-found (unless I get too frustrated at something missing, then I'll definitely let you know! :p)

@redragon
    Great thread, definitely ups the motivation!

@NoisemakerArrow
    ~10 years and 2 computers later was a bit long to keep my stashes I think. :p Besides, fresh starts can be very refreshing!

@Drystan
    Do you think the higher amount of patterns for p8 is partly due to the fact that alot more runs have been done on p8, so a much larger sample size (vs p3)? I ask because I did 500 more runs on p3 to make it an even 1000 and this happened. (it's a Ber rune for the people who can't bring themselves to click). I'm currently in the process of doing 1000 p8 runs as a comparison (only a Gul+Mal so far after ~500 runs), so I just might completely invalidate myself, but something to think about!

Thanks guys!

20. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

That's a very lucky Ber rune find, and it lines up with one of the known /p3 patterns too. Nicely done! That was a 1 in 32,000 chance to find that rune, very lucky indeed.

***For those new to the concept of "patterns", the LK superchests have a fixed number of drop patterns (64,000 I believe) and are therefore not random, ensuring that over time you WILL eventually find that rune you need.

The main reason people started to run LK on higher players settings is more charms/jewels/gems. But it's also known to produce a lot more Sur Rune patterns. For example, /p3 has only one Sur pattern, whereas /p7 has 11. This in essence gives you 11 times more likely odds per run of finding a Sur.