Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Re-intro and advice

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by robdylan, May 27, 2005.

1. robdylan

robdylan IncGamers Member

Re-intro and advice

Hi all

Not sure if anyone will remember me. I used to hang around a bit a good few years ago. Then I met a girl, got married, had a kid (in that order, I swear) and didn't really have much time for D2. I've started playing again recently, but, due to an awful mix up, ended up deleting a whole bunch of my ATMA stashes (losing all my set items, including IK armour, all my runes and quite a few uniques). Silly bloody thing to do!

Anyway - my current "major project" is a Zealot, sitting at lvl 84 or so, in Act 2 Hell. I've got some pretty decent gear (Vamp Gaze, Duriel's, Nord's Tenderizer, Moser's w 2 p/diamond, String, ravenfrost, etc) and was going along quite nicely on players 8. I've hit a bit of a wall, though, around the Arcane Sanctuary. I was using Lightsabre, but Nords gives me better damage, as well as the sweeet freezing effect. Maxed Sacrifice and Fanaticism with Zeal at about slvl 15 helps me annihilate anything that isn't PI. My resists and defense are too low, though - I guess I need to upgrade my armour and shield to really progress.

I can still own on players 1 or 2, but I really want to go the whole way on players 8. You guys reckon it's feasible with my build?

Another thing - managed to find Griswold's armour (twice). It has nice high def, and some good plus skills. Any idea what I should socket? I guess 3 ums would give it really nice resists (if I hadn't deleted them - grrrr). Any other suggestions? Also, is it worth sticking a Shael into the Nords?

Any and all advice appreciated!

Thanks
    Rob

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Welcome back!
    *climbs up on diving board. jumps off, doing 3 back twisting somersualts and lands right on rob's shins, snapping them instantly.*
    As for your question, a untwinked zealot will struggle in P8 hell, and unless you find some very good gear (try running nm meph) it will probably be easier and less frustrating to do it on a lower P setting.

3. robdylan

Thanks Bob

Not sure what the definition of "untwinked" is in this context. I managed to hold onto a fair amount of stuff (just the sets, runes and some unique armour that I deleted) and I'll gladly put any of the stuff i have on my char. I just don't have any really uberl33t stuff (like HoZ, Gaurdian Angel, etc).

I enjoy the game more playing at a lower p-setting, as I die less. I still can't help the feeling that I'm somehow taking the easy way out though. I walked through normal and nightmare on P8. Guess Hell is a different kettle of fish come 1.10, though

4. Day

Day IncGamers Member

Couple of tables for you:

Settings
    Character Paladin
    Weapon Truncheon / Schlagstock
    Skill Zeal
    Fanaticism Level 20
    IAS Frames per attack Attacks per second
    0 % 5 5
    40 % 4 6.2

Character Paladin
    Weapon Truncheon / Schlagstock
    Skill Zeal
    Fanaticism Level 30
    IAS Frames per attack Attacks per second
    0 % 5 5
    37 % 4 6.2

You have maxed fanaticsm (level 20) or even have a lot of plus skills (you see the table for levl 30. Its worth the Shael. Nords has plus 25% iAS and with level 20 Fanaticsm you need 15% more to get an extra attack :thumbsup: Even with levl 30 Fanatism you need an extra 12% so :thumbsup:

So unless you have the IAS from elsewhere (can't see it) or have one of those 15ias jewels (I've never seen one) its worth the Shael. Don't forget if you ever change your mind you can blank the socket with a Hel rune and re-socket.

P8 in version 1.10 is really tough for melee classes. I'm happy to play Hell at p1!

5. TenYearsGone

TenYearsGone IncGamers Member

Welcome Back.

I can't comment on your Pally being I've never played one. But for your dilema regarding players setting, just do what's fun. If it's fun getting a new Pat on P1 and not getting frustrated by dying too much, then go for it. If you want the challenge of a higher players setting then do that. Remember its a game, so just have fun.

6. robdylan

Thanks guys. I think I'll definitely socket the Shael in my Nords. Also, I'll stop being so bloody anal and rather play on p1 or p2. Also, I'm looking at upgrading my shield. Anything wrong with Ancients' Pledge in a nice high def/block/res Pally shield? Considering I'm now quite poor.

7. piscene

piscene IncGamers Member

There's no shame in playing on a lower players setting. This is 1.10, after all. Its plenty hard once you get to Hell.

Oh, and welcome back to the SPF.

8. robdylan

Thanks piscene.

Any advice on good armour choices, anyone? I found Shaftstop eventually, but I already have DR on Gaze and String, and really can't afford to lose resists. Duriel's Shell is nice, but I think I'll need higher def once I hit the later acts, not so?

9. Day

Day IncGamers Member

On the shield a good cheap one (since you have Shael available Eth is easy) is:

Rhyme 2 Socket Shields Shael + Eth
    20% Increased Chance of Blocking
    40% Faster Block Rate
    All Resistances +25
    Regenerate Mana 15%
    Cannot Be Frozen
    50% Extra Gold From Monsters
    25% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items

With a Paladin Shield with some rests to begin with you can easily have plus 50% resist all. The extra blocking means less dex needed and CBF means you have a choice as regards RavenForst/Durial's. Extra gold and Mf are never bad either.

On armour maybe consider (I made it in a Dusk Shroud and its been worn by both a traps assassin and melee enchantress as end game armour).

Smoke 2 Socket Body Armor Nef + Lum
    +75% Enhanced Defense
    +280 Defense Vs. Missile
    All Resistances +50
    20% Faster Hit Recovery
    Level 6 Weaken (18 Charges)
    +10 To Energy
    -1 To Light Radius

I think Durials would get you throguh (assuming you have maxed block) - assume you have a point in Holy Shield?

10. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

Whatever you do, make sure you have Cannot be Frozen. Duriel's has it, Ravenfrost Ring has it, and Rhyme Sheild has it. This will be very important for your Zealot's future as many monsters in Hell difficulty have random Cold damage on their attacks.

Second, check how much IAS will help you reach an extra breakpoint for attacking. This will increase your damage output more than just about anything else.

Third, get some Crushing Blow. With the speed a fanatic zealot attacks at, CB will help you kill everything faster.

As to your questions, Ancients Pledge or Rhyme in a high defense, high resists elite Pally shield will be good endgame gear. Sanctuary is very good as well, but more expensive (Ko, Ko, Mal). Once you get your resists taken care of with a nice shield, then you can afford to switch your armor to Shaftstop. While there is some DR on Vamp Gaze, you still have a ways to go before it is maxed. More is always useful, especially for a melee char.

Finally, what merc are you using? I'd reccomend an Act 2 Holy Freeze, Defiance, or Might. Give him good gear with some life leech and nice damage, and he will completely change your experience in Hell. Also make sure he's the same level you are, so he'll be less likely to die.

Good luck and have fun!

11. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

Hello! Welcome! Enjoy these cokies and ignore fb. Meanwhile, the only advice I have is to re-upload your 'tar (the forums have been moved around so much they get scrambled).