Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ravens in hell..

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Inokis, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Inokis

Inokis IncGamers Member

Ravens in hell..

...I have an idea for use with ravens as a blind pvm defensive measure, but I'm concerned if in hell they land enough hits to even blind anything.

Has anyone had any experience/luck with maxing ravens in hell?

2. Pheyd

Pheyd IncGamers Member

all you need is just one point, it works for me my fury druid and wind druid both use 5 ravens each and they do blind targety a fair bit

3. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

To be honest, (IMO) a very interesting idea.
    However, they don't do much damage do they?
    And therefore, you take 20 skill points from another skill. (To me, that is a substantial loss for a Druid char.)

To me, although the blind from ravens is a nice idea, that's too substantial a loss in damage/offensive capabilities for me to think of doing.
    As an idea, if you replaced oak sage/heart of wolverines [spirit] with this, I'm not sure.

Is their (monsters) blind duration in hell decreased like that of stunning skills?

EDIT: Do raven skills have a limit to their number? (is it 1 raven per skill?)

4. Inokis

Inokis IncGamers Member

so they don't rely on a lvl based hit ratio I take it?

Its not damage I'm looking at. I do enough damage currently. I'm just looking at the concept of covering the entire screen with blind target, similarly to how a necro would max his curse to do the same thing.

5. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

To max Ravens is a major loss to my druid builds, but if you do enough damage and don't have to worry damage/survivability, then it is an interesting question.
    My concerns (as I'm not sure, never used it) are that
    A) like stun duration, does blind duration decreases in hell.
    B) is raven 1 skill/1 raven?
    I've never used ravens, so I'm not sure.
    IIRC ravens have the same chance of casting blind in each difficulty {EDIT: and level}

6. Inokis

Inokis IncGamers Member

Ravens max at 5 total, so unless their blind hit is based on an attack rating that is skill based then thats the only benefit to maxing them. 1-5 points is all this skill is worth for the blind otherwise. There's nothing on arreat summit about duration/difficulty either.

I guess that answers most of the questions. Now if it were 1 raven/lvl it would have been worth it, i think.

The raven blind is based on the dim vision duration. For "hit blinds target" the formula for calculating the lvl of dim vision for this type of proc is:

7. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

In that case, 1 point is enough. +skill items will bring you to a decent level (at least enough to get 5 ravens.) As you're not looking for damage, maxing it won't help much (even then, their damage is too low for hell games.)

Each time a monster is blinded, you'll have to spend time recasting them near more monsters though. If you have that extra time between attacks (and between the time your ravens cast blind,) then you can cast them, but not worth maxing.
    It will never work as efficiently as dim vision.
    Considering only 5 ravens total, IMO it's not worth worrying about. Only 1 point (prereq for another summon) and casting it near annoying ranged monsters should be more than sufficient.

I liked it when there was no limit. That was fun.

8. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

I will admit i quit reading after the 3rd post ... but to put whatever arguments to rest i will say this.

Ravens is a 1 point wonder .... w/ enough + skills to summon 5 ravens .... it wil help you A LOT ... especially in areas where you might think it to be a tough situation due to thier blinding. The only reason to pump raven would be so that you wouldnt have to recast them as often as you do w/ 1 point.

But to answer your inital question .. they do blind quite well as a one point wonder .... however beaware thtat they do not blind and move to another monster ... expect 5 monsters blinded not like 15 .... still a HUGE help though.