Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Raucous Rune Rarity Rant

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Crudesash68, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

Raucous Rune Rarity Rant

I want Michael Palin's character from Life of Brian to read that title :lol:

Anyway, here is my rant, which is very much like complaining about the weather; we all complain, but no one ever does anything about it...

Why in the heck are runes SO darn rare? Oh, I don't mean your everyday El's or Nef's, they drop just fine, but what psychopath deemed that a Sur rune should be harder to find than a conservative at a *** wedding? I would wager that if someone took the time to figure out how many TC78 and above items were found, and then compared that to the number of runes found between Mal-Zod, the ratio would be 100 to 1, or greater.

Now, if these runes were more powerful, maybe we could understand, like a Zod being +5 to all skills, or a Cham being +200% enhanced damage...but on their own, none of them have an in-game value to rival their rarity.

To make a great case, how many combined Vamp Gazes, Shaftstops, and Stormshields have been found in Single Play? I would wager it to be in the high hundreds. Yet, you probably can't find 20 people who have found a Ber rune, despite the fact that those other items all double, treble, or (whatever word ending in -ble means fourfold) the amount of PDR?

I have already whined about the idiocy of making Uber-items impossible to find except by characters who don't need them anymore, but runes take the cake.

And don't get me started on cubing. I remember a certain forumite, whose nick ends with "sash68", waxing idiotic during the beta about how even though 1.10 was really hard, the ability to cube runes would enable uber-runewords, thus negating the difficulty. Hah! I was about as right on that as I was on Dukakis in ** (yeah, I voted for him :scratch: )

Now, I'm pretty realistic. I even have a Mal rune, but by the time I find a Cham or Ber, Uniquesash will be introducing his children to the forum! (that may not be for another 10 years, so I don't think Blizz will have fixed the SP FE bug by then either)

Well, I will now return you to your regularly scheduled posts. I am going to go stand in front of Caesar's with a sign that says....

WILL WORK FOR AN OHM RUNE

...who knows, it might get me a Denny's coupon.

Steve

2. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

Heh. I heartily applaud this thread and agree wholeheartedly on the voicing choice for the title. :) Silly rare runes.

edit: maybe the fish slapping dance would knock some sense into your computer. i'd suggest herring for optimal slappiness.

3. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

I agree totally with everything you said.

4. TrenShadow

TrenShadow IncGamers Member

That has got to be one of the best rants I've ever read. My hat's off to your ubar-1337 ranting skills sir :thumbsup:

Waucous Wune Wawity Want :D

5. Crudesash68

I can't use a herring; I used it to chop down the mightiest tree in the forest...oh wait, that was too silly.

"slaps PC with herring"

A short while later....

"mutters under his breath, while looking at the melange of herring, cream sauce, and glass that is strewn around the smoking remains of the PC, thinking "perhaps I should've taken the herring out of the jar first""...

6. LowLander

LowLander IncGamers Member

It's quadruple. :uhhuh:
    And yes, high-level runes should be easier to find or more powerfull.

7. ULTIMATER

ULTIMATER IncGamers Member

I agree, runes are too darn rare. But if they werent, everyone would have thoose superduper BoTD stuff, not only the few truly dedicated runners and traders.

Its hard to keep the balance . . .

8. Crudesash68

I agree on the balance issue; it wouldn't be fun if everybody had a BOTD (well, maybe it would), but even half as rare as they are, heck, even a tenth, would at least give folks a shot. I play about 8-10 hours a week, when time permits. If I found 1 rare rune a month, I'd be satisfied. Heck, if someone wants to squeeze that much D2 into a few days...they deserve a good rune.

Steve

9. WhiskeyJack

WhiskeyJack IncGamers Member

Now if only it were just the dedicated runners, etc, who had them...

It seems to me that it's kind of strange to have things so hard to find, and runewords so hard to make, that it's almost impossible...either it's helping create the addiction (heh) or it's encouraging duping...(first is probably intended, second is probably also true). I'd settle for just getting some mid level rune words....I've yet to find over a Fal (or is it Lum)....

10. ULTIMATER

Agreed, the highest rune i ever found is a IST from over 3k Countess runs. I ran her for ~3 hours a day a couple of months before 1.10 was released. Figured i could cube a ZOD :teeth:

But after i came her, and started trading, i was so fortunate that Vorbiss had a JAH for trade, and all my runes from all my LOD days became a SUR, and beau_nidle (sp?) had another SUR for trade, i could make a Enigma.

After i got the Enigma i havent played much. My goal was reached . . .

My point is the same as yours, its for the addiction :D

11. Kronos

Kronos IncGamers Member

I figure, since you all seem to have consensus on this issue, i might as well come along and disagree, just to be refreshing :howdy:

It makes perfect sense why high-lvl runes are rarer than a kiwi farmer on strictly platonic terms with all of his livestock. Here's how my reasoning goes: D2 is, and most always will be, an items game. Let's face it - the storyline grows stale after the first time one finishes the game, the gameplay's pretty much just a hack-and-slash fest (though granted the more challenging classes, like the Mojomancer, improve this), and the graphics are nothing by today's standards. People play and keep on playing, primarily, for the acquisiton of '1337 ITAMZ'. How many of you out there have that spirit of a collector lurking within?? There needs to be items of exceeding rarity out there for people to seek after, just so they can log into the forums the next day with "omg omg OMG I FOUND <insert item name>". However, if all the very powerful, uber gear of the game was nigh-impossible to find, actually completing the game would become nigh-impossible as well - esp since the advent of 1.10, late Hell difficulty NEEDS our chars to be equipped like gods. So, how does one cater for both the obsessive collector spirit lurking within every D2 gamer, and still allow one the simple pleasure of completing the game with a reasonable chance of success?

Enter the Rune. A set of items, all nicely listed in ascending order, that range from the horribly common to the extraordinarily rare, whose powers are never quite "necessary" for char survival, or sufficiently game-altering enough for builds to be created around them. The impulsive collector has been sated... i know that just the knowledge that Zods are out there awakens in me a covetous desire to run Hell Countess a gadzillion times in the hopes of finding one, simply because then i could say i have one. It doesn't matter that an Arkaine's or a Stormshield or a Windforce would make my char's far more uber, at far less rarity, than anything a Zod could do for me - it's the concept of the thing. And the fact that all the runes are effectively a set, with a set number of different runes to find that everyone knows about, helps reinforce the effect - one simply wants to have them all.

And thus, ladies and gentlemen, the reason for the humble Rune to be hair-pulling-outishy rare is laid bare before yon eyes. I'm certain that i shall now be fed to the Squid for my impertinence, but as all i'm really trying to do is show off my immense intellect to Amy Lee over there (My_Immortal6), i rest my case :evil:

12. ULTIMATER

Well, you would run Countess alot too find a Zod, cus she cant drop it :p

Sorry, didnt find anything else too pick on in your post :lol: My conclusion is that everythings fine the way it is. (except the FE bug :rant: )

13. Kronos

Kronos IncGamers Member

I knew someone would pick that up quick-smart, lol. I was....errrr.... just testing you. Of course :drool:

14. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

High-end runes are next to impossible to find, but think about this thing little further: So what if you are never going to find them? Does playing hell difficulty require using BotD or Doom or Enigma or CoH or...They would make it easier but those runewords are not necessary. They are somekind of special rewards for those who have played really much but nothing else. For example I have found Jah from hell Meph, yeah, nice drop, but so what? I must get Ber too to make it useful in form of Enigma. But again, so what? My necro has magic ammy with teleport charges which does the same thing almost as good. And I can also use Skullder's for more MF...

If you want to use good runewords, try Gloom or Crescent Moon, they aren't too expensive and quite powerful too

15. ULTIMATER

I forgot to mention that the rest of your post is great, i recognize myself in it, :lol:

And did i pass the test? :p

16. farting bob

farting bob Banned

exactly what i think. the time ti takes to get a zod, and what can you do with it? if you dont put it in a BOTD, its pointless. all the time to find something as rare as any item (maybe not tyraels, but rivalling that in only a few confirmed zods have been found so far in 1.10 here) and what can you do? use it in a rare to make it indestructable? no, that will be a compelte waste. it coudl be the best damn rare ever made, it would still be a waste. BOTD's, for the high lvl runes you need and a zod, its just 1 weapon. can 1 weapon that will really only reduce your run time from 5 mins to 4:30 or whateevr from what you normally use. is wasting that much time looking for a zod worth it? hell no.
    if it gave +3 to skills, or something that no other thing could give (use your imagination) then it mightbe worth it, but come on, is it really that good?

17. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

what if zod made your char indestructible, instead of just the weapon. i think that then it would be worthy of being ~7 times rarer than a tyrael's might. :teeth:

18. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

In this case, where would you socket that Zod?? I have a good idea but,well, not here, not now... :teeth:

19. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I have always found the runes from Nef to Shael to be the most useful (even Tir qualifies for a necro, to craft wands). You will find several of them and there is so much you can do with them. Upgrading, socketing, runewording, crafting, repairing, using them "as is", etc.

The higher runes (above Shael) are much more limited in what they do. And for most of the "higher" runewords, one of the higher runes is not enough either.

20. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Her minions can though, although you'd need to be ridiculously lucky to get it...

I'm sure I posted something about rune scarcity/usefulness last night, and I think quite frankly that whatever it was that Blizzard's dev-team were smoking when they chose stats and rarities for runes, it's almost certainly not available on the open market :cheesy: