Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rate this "white" wand candidate

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Frenzied Bovine, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

Rate this "white" wand candidate

I'm building a PvM bone necro (artymancer).

My wife found this little gem in the Pit, Nightmare difficulty. I'm not quite sure why she was doing the Pit in NM but after this find, i'm very happy.

My former "white" candidate was an ordinary +3 Bone Spear wand. The new candidate wand is grey with two sockets and:

+3 Bone Spear
    +2 Revive
    +1 Bone Spirit

The thing that gets me is the +2 Revive. The "White" runeword grants +4 to Skeleton Mastery. I could actually squeeze halfway usable revives out of this with some +skills.

So what do you all think of this wand? Should I White that or can I hold out for a better candidate?

A question: If I have no skill points in Revive, and equip this wand that is +2 to Revive, and then wear a Shako, what is my final Revive skill level? Is it 2, or 4? I am under the impression that it will be 4.

If my impression is correct then it is possible that, with the right +skill equipment, I could achieve fairly high level revive and skeleton mastery (slvl 10) without allocating a single point!

2. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

Nice wand. Use it.

revives would be lvl 4

p.s. revives suck.

g

:yep:

3. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

nah...revives make good meat sheilds. They're good as long as you don't expect too much out of them.

Pretty good candidate...shame it wasn't +3 to bonespirit, but alas, the world isn't perfect.

+all skills will boost your revive lvl and SM lvl btw, (but not +tree, +necroskills)

P.S.

Ideal revives IMO are gloombats and ghosts.

4. Frenzied Bovine

Thank you all.

I don't really mind it not having the greatest bone spirit level. I don't intend to PK, and I hear BSpear > BSpirit in terms of PvM.

I also would have preferred Raise Skeleton to Revive :D

Maybe I can find the ultimate candidate.. +3 RS, +3 Bone Spear, +3 Revive, 2 sockets :D

Btw my intended equipment (shako et al) should net me at least +7 to all skills.. two off the Shako, two off a Mara's, two off an Enigma and one off an Arachnid Mesh. This, combined with White, will give me:

Level 9 Revive
    Level 11 Skeleton Mastery

If +Necroskills won't help me then a Homonoculus won't help.. damn!

Maybe i'll end up putting a single skill point into Raise Skeleton. If I do, the Homonoculus will boost that to 3, and then the +7 to all will kick in giving me level 10 Raise Skeleton.

Not bad for an arty necro and one 'wasted' skill point, if you ask me. God help the monsters if I get a pair of soj and nudge that up to 12/11/13 rs/rv/mastery.

5. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

that could be a fun big time spearin' wand, just try and get a decent cast rate for maximum spear fun

6. discfor1

discfor1 IncGamers Member

As a reference, I have done some major shopping to find the 'perfect' White wand for my Lord of Mages build.
    Act II Normal seems to tbe the best place. The seller is that NPC Drognan (sp?) Create games until you get the city exit right there next to him, then run in and out and check all the wands. I made a few mistakes and tried to socket wands with a max of 1 socket, doh! But in about 100 times (I am guessing - though it seemd like a lot more) I found what I was looking for - Wand with +3 Skeletal Mastery. Dont recall the rest off hand but any more is really gravy. With White, I get a +7 to SM base. :) I will post the rest of the stats later (as an edit) if anyone really cares.

This seems to be the best place as there is a consistant mix of magical and non-magical wands. Akara (Act I Normal) has a similar mix, though she has too many basic wands (1 socket max). As well, if you go to Act III Normal, the number of non-magical wands becomes very very small. As this is not a melee weapon, it does not seem to matter to me whether or not you have the exceptional or elite versions. i chose a plain old bone wand.

So, keep searching until you find the mods you need. There will be some socketed already, and power to ya if you can find one with the best mods and two sockets aready. I did not find a socketed one and chose to use the socketting formula (listed below).

A few tips:

Make sure that you know how many sockets a given wand can have if you are planning on using the socketting formula.

Max Sockets Link: http://www.diabloii.net/items/sockets-list.shtml
    Socketting Formula:
    1 Ral Rune (#8)
    + 1 Amn Rune (#11)
    + 1 Perfect Amethyst
    + normal weapon

Use only the white versions to socket, which them become gray. Rune words only work in gray items. (never blue!!)

Be patient. It took me a lot of running in and out of town, but in the end, it was sooooo workth it.

Thanks.
    Mark

7. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

what u guys think of these?

i have a wand with +2 bone spirit with white in it (im not sure if it has any other mods)

and i got a clean +3 bone spear +1 lower resist 2 socket wand :D perfect for for my new skellimancer, found in hell pit, cool eh!!

in hell pit i also found a necro summon GC with 27 life, what a time to start a summon necro :lol:

8. Shenn

Shenn Banned

GRRR i hate the pit, nothing tradable for me after mfing there for a month.

Anyways, droguan can trade grey/ white wands? I thought he only sold blue ones.... ill check, and thanks for the tip!

9. Frenzied Bovine

Update on the white wand!

I'm now level 70 and have been using it since 45. It owns.

I allocated a single point in Raise Skeleton as I said I would. I also have the obligatory single point in Clay Golem and Golem Mastery (but none in Summon Resist yet, can't be bothered). I also have a point in Amplify Damage and Dim Vision.

Other than that I am a pure bone necro.

I am now wearing all of my planned gear except for Arachnid Mesh. I can support up to 10 revives thanks to the starting +2 Revive from the white wand candidate and the +all skills off the items.

Those 10 revives are basically immortal. On the other hand, the skeletons I raise die almost instantly, dispite them being slvl 12 with level 10 or so mastery.

So I would say Revive > Skeletons IF you are a bonemancer and just want a big meat wall. The revives rarely kill anything, but they aren't meant to, either. I think that one point in Raise Skeleton was basically wasted IMO, I never use the little ones.

But to any Bonemancer thinking of going the white route, I would strongly recommend trying to find a wand with +revive on it as well. It is a very big help and quite a lot of fun too.

This observation is of course based on NM Baal runs, where there's many, many tasty revive candidates.

10. GIR

GIR Banned

I made my first ever White runeword a couple days ago.

Stats:
    +3 to Poison and Bone Skills
    +20% Faster Cast Rate
    +1 to Poison Nova
    +5 to Bone Spear
    +4 to Skeleton Mastery
    +3 to Bone Armor
    Hit Causes Monster to Flee 25%
    +10 to Vitality
    +13 to Mana
    Magic Damage Reduced by 4
    +50% Damage to Undead

Being a Skeleton Summoner, I use it on switch with the following Zombie Head:

+1 to Bone Spirit
    +2 to Summon Resist
    +1 to Bone Spear

I use Poison Nova, Bone Spear, and Bone Spirit as support to my minions on the tough bosses, and use it to cast Bone Armor on myself when I need it.

I think with all my other equipment my switch provides...

Level 7 Bone Spririt
    Level 7 Poison Nova
    Level 10 Bone Spear
    Level 8 Bone Armor

Not bad for a Skeleton Summoner on my way to Diablo in Normal with not a single point into the Poison and Bone Tree.

11. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Few would disagree that with low skill point investments revives are a better choice than skeletons.

12. GIR

GIR Banned

Eh, Revives have their uses, but I've found they're not exactly main killing force potential. But yeah, at lease a point or two can be worth the price of admission with some +skills.

13. derthgar

derthgar IncGamers Member

am a skele mancer and max rs and sm. my skeletons rock i have lvl 12 revive and that is all i can summon up to 8 of them which is plenty to keep things tied up for what i need. my skeletons are at lvl 24 still working on those + skill points but i also have my mf gear onto. they are higher with my necro helm. my skeletons last a lot longer than my revives do that is for sure. i am always having to summon revives but my skeletons stay right there. plus with my might merc they rock.

14. mooffy

mooffy IncGamers Member

woulnd that wand be good for pvm bonemancer. you dont need any points to tech to revives and u could just summons some up in a tight spot? i dunno

15. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

My message was rather something like:

Revive with only a few points invested in it is far superior to Raise Skeleton with only a few points invested in it.

16. GIR

GIR Banned

Ah. Gotcha.

Depending on what it is you Revive, yeah.

17. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

I was able to shop a +3 teeth +3 bone spear 2 socket wand in act 2 normal. Love that baby (since I'm choosing teeth over spirit).

18. tl998

tl998 Banned

I found a +2 bone spear, +2 poison explode, and +1 revive wand. I used a socket quest on it and made a White wand out of it. I think it'll serve me fine. Poison Explode should help revent monster heal.