Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rate my build

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Neurofuzzy, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Neurofuzzy

Neurofuzzy IncGamers Member

Rate my build

I have an old 1.09 barb which I decided to adapt for 1.10. He used to be a WW barb (20 WW, 20 BO, 20 Sword Mastery). Since he had only lvl 77 when I stopped playing him in 1.09, I still had 35 skillpoints to distribute (2 from act 4 quest, which i just finished a few days ago...). So I started pumping up CONC (I am lvl 82 now). At lvl 95 he should have 20WW, 20BO, 20Mastery, 20Conc, 1 in oder base skills (a sort of mixed WW and Conc build) and 4 lvls to go (if I ever come to that). It will not be possible to max shout... :xx:

Equipment:

Up to now I have:
    Arreats (still need to socket),
    2xRavenfrost,
    Mara´s or Highlords (?),
    Stone (hellforge plate, 1992 def),
    SS (still need to socket),
    IK gloves,
    Wartravs,
    Eth CB BOTD.

Stats(without equip):

200 dex
    160 str
    all the rest in vit (dont remember how much now...)

Can that build be any good? What equip should I try to get/change? PvM seems easy already by now, but will it be a decent PvP barb? I was thinking about getting Gore Riders and Steelrends. Is the effort worth?

2. Neurofuzzy

Oh, I forgot the belt: String of Ears (13% DR)

3. Neurofuzzy

Come on people, would a mixed WW/CONC barb be a good build? No opinions? Should I put some more points into shout?

4. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

It's not bad, just one weapon skill is usually enough. With synergies, whirlers only really need one point of bersek and conc. They typically go ww, mastery, bo, shout, and the rest in ironskin.

You can give it a try though, and see how you like it. You'll probably find yourself not using one of the two skills much though, and end up breaking down and building a new barb that specs in one template all together.

-Hal

5. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

I agree with what Hal said, and gearwise I would mainly stick with highlords, and if you really need the res you could always use the socket in ss and um it. I would also swap travs for gores, and maybe use chains instead of stone.

6. Neurofuzzy

Well, my idea was that Conc is slow in PvM when you are in an area with a LOT of enemies (you have to attack each one individually). I would use WW in that situations. Conc would be used mainly against bosses, uniques, etc.

In PvP I would use mainly Conc, with ocasional use of WW (it seems most sorcs and some other chars die with a single WW, but rarely with a single Conc hit...maybe due to the fact that my conc is not maxed out yet?).

Concerning the plate: I decided to use Stone because the conc build in strongly based on high def, and CoH, altough clearly a very good plate, has not such a big def.

By the way, Enigma (everyone seems to want it) is also not that good in what concerns def. The +str is surelly nice for a barb, but i am not so sure if the teleporting it provides is so good in PvP, due to slow casting rate. Altough I have had occasional success against long range enemies a time ago using a teleport amulet (just to test the strategy), in most cases the teleporting was too slow (worked well only when opponents where took by surprise...).

Oh, another point: by now my char has 80% IAS (60 from BOTD CB and 20 from Highlords). I need more to reach at least 10 fps. Shoud I invest in ed/ias jewels (expensive, very duped) to socket in helm and SS or would a pair of gloves with 20% IAS be better (easier to find/trade for)? What gloves are good here? Are there IAS charms?

7. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

You shouldn't be so concerned about high defense in general, since you havn't put many points in shout or ironskin; sure, it helps conc, but only on swing, and not by much. If you were a straight-up conc barb or whirler, then I'd say defense would be a bit more important, as they both usually have shout maxed and between 1-20 points in skin, so huge defense helps a lot since it becomes perpetual for them. Since you're more of a hybrid though, you might be better off looking for good mods rather than high defense, as you won't be capitalizing on it very often.

If you're just using conc against bosses, 1 point is enough, with +skills. In pvp, well-built whirlers usually dominate rather than concers; concers are good for bvb, but again, since you don't have a lot of shout or skin, you won't be as viable there. The likewise don't fare as well against casters, since they have to stop to swing, and the damage reduction penalty makes it somewhat hard to kill in one swing (whirlwind can hit multiple times per use and all).

There are no IAS charms. You need 10% more ias to hit 10 frames, so you could get that from a belt like Nos's/Siggard's. Socketing the helm or shield with ed/ias is great as well, though expensive like you said. 20% ias gloves are probably the easiest thing for you to do, since they are pretty common: rare and blood gloves can have the property, as well as things like Laying of Hands and Lavagouts. Most whirlers better benefit from something like Steelrends, however.

Enigma is popular for several reasons, one of the main being the huge str bonus it grants, which lets pvp players skimp on that stat. With Engmia, you can usually go with base - 80ish str and still be able to stack items to be able to wear your gear, which means you can put an extra 80-150 points or more into vitality, garnering several hundred (or even thousand, after BO) hp. On top of that, you get Teleport, which is great for getting around in pvm and mfing, and helps whirlers get into and out of range with sorcs, amazons, necromancers, hammerdins, and assasins. Tag on the great mf bonus, +2 skills, nice fixed defense bonus, life boost, and damage-to-mana, and you have a kick-*** piece of gear.

-Hal