Rare-, magical-, and crafted items only Barb

Movingbarley

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi guys,

So I have grown a little tired of regular builds in diablo using runewords and uniques so I figured I wanted to try my luck with a barb without either. It is exciting as I can now hunt for new items @ pindle etc.

My question is what Barbarian I should go for Conc/zerk/WW as there seems to be pros and cons with all (go figure). A few concerns are getting high enough damage, in which case zerk would do alright, I guess; another being 'cannot be frozen', in which case WW would do better.

What are your guys ideas and/or suggestions for going down this patch?

Thanks a bunch.

Edit: Also I would kindly accept any suggestions on what to look for on the items that I'm currently doing runs for!

Last edited:

BKC

Diabloii.Net Member
You can always put a cham into one of those item for the cannot be frozen mod :)

For the record i did this once and i went for a paladin. (nice yellow shields!) I think you can finish the game with no problem at all. I would however consider frenzy as a build in your case.

And welcome to the forums :)

tokerdin

Diabloii.Net Member
This is something i would also like to do someday although i had never thought of the cannot be frozen dilemma i guess a cham or thawing potions are your only real option there.
i agree with BKC on using frenzy. conc and zerk are single target skills and WW takes alot of mana, however you should save at least 1 point for zerk for those physical immunes.
definitely use howl at least in the beginning.

early on in the game i thing gambling will be a good option for you as when you are low level gambling is cheap and if your diligent about collecting gold you should be able to afford it. But this will only get you so far because you will never be able to gamble an ethereal self repairing item. End game i think pindle is your best option for rare elites.

That being said i dont really know anything about crafting it might be your best bet for endgame gear is finding a berserker axe rack in LK and hit it with the superchests for cafting supplies.

last thing is dont forget you can upgrade rare items so if you find a normal or exceptional item with good mods (eth self rep) you can upgrade it to exceptional or elite respectively

oh one more thing shop some bo sticks asap 6 to warcries on switch is a nice thing to have for pre buffing and find item

good luck and keep us posted

Dodgydave

Diabloii.Net Member
Made a barb like this years ago going rares only. Pretty sure I went with whirlwind as primary skill.

I remember it being a grind with no crushing blow but then I have an insistence on playing players 8 the whole way.

Movingbarley

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I think I will be utilizing both Taunt, Howl and Grim Ward for crowd control. I cannot say I appreciate Frenzy too much, but might give it some second thoughts if you guys suggest that.

I do have a Cham lying around, but I'm a bit apprehensive about using it for a mediocre rare, when it's the only one I've found.

Gambling early on sounds like a good plan, but in regards to the BA rack in lower kurast; isnt it impossible to find one at that point of the game?

wauw P8 the whole way through must be THE grind, gratz on sticking that out!

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
Crafted blood weapons can get pretty crazy mods, but making one of those might take you a couple of years or so.

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
I made a rare and eth only Barb recently: https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/patriarch-aether-rare-and-ethereal-only-concentrate-barbarian.937666/

Imbuing ethereal Dimensional Blades/Crystal Swords is not the worst idea, though still unlikely to give anything decent with only few tries. Phase Blade is a fast weapon to Zerk/Conc without slowing to a crawl when frozen.

As for the build, I guess it depends what kind of weapon(s) you can come up with. Craft at least all elite axes and spears. If it can hit the last WW break point, I'd be tempted to do a whirler.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
I guess we agree that it will boil down to the question which kind of weapon you might get your hands on. As a first measure, you could use one of the gem recipes to produce a nice magical weapon with 1-2 sockets. In order to have a chance on a cruel weapon, you need one with a high base qlvl because the recipes produce items with a rather low ilvl. A CB is fine. A BA is a small bit faster, but it can't be worn two-handed. Besides, BAs have a rather low durability and need a lot of repair which is pretty annoying.

I would choose WW because it cannot be slowed down and you probably won't have CBF, except you have a helm, shield or armor which is awesome that it's worth putting a Cham rune into... if you have one.

Movingbarley

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the replies!

I'm split between a hard hitting two-handed weapon and a BA. As I'm quite fond of some of the aesthetics of the game, which essentially means that I find myself picking up Etting Axes, Battle Axes, Colossus Blades and Swords, Threshers, Giant Threshers and Thunder mauls. So my build will be focused on what Pindle decides to throw my way.

Since I've only managed to find one Cham, I think I wanna hold on to that for now, so CBF is not an option at this point.

Thoughts are that zerk might be the fastest killer, but most prone to die due to 0 def, WW and Conc might be very slow, but as mentioned being frozen affects WW less?

tokerdin

Diabloii.Net Member
so i just did some reading on crafting and it seams crafting your weapon is not the way to go as you cannot have an ethereal crafted item. They can still be very powerful but the odds of getting one to beat an eth rep weapon is pretty low. I would save my P rubys for crafted gloves.

I didnt realize you would be twinking this character that changes the game somewhat. Early game doesnt really matter that much then because if you dont have low level twinking gear just give him 2.5 mill gold and gamble all your gear except your ring and ammy as those cost the same regardless of level.

as to the duel wielding or not i would just keep running pindle until i got a likely weapon and run with it. However i guess you would be at his mercy if for instance you got a really nice one handed weapon like a cryptic sword or a scourge. Your imbues i would save for barb helms.

definitely pick whatever build sounds the most interesting or fun for your play style.
The nice thing about berzerk is howl is a synergy so points there have a duel purpose.

edit: i would save the cham unless i found one on the barb we're discussing. makes it more challenging and rewarding if you do get a cham on him. I find major twinking to kindof suck the fun out of the game. Minor twinking can make it more fun though.

ThomasJohnsen

Diabloii.Net Member
There was a guy on the Europe Trading Forum that had a rare only barb with some really really amazing stuff he had collected over years of playing and trading. He showed it off in a thread there, but I can't seem to find it, and for the life of me I cannot remember his name. I would've posted it here for inspiration; but alas...

Crazy Runner Guy

Diabloii.Net Member
I was going to do this a long time ago, but magic-only items. Even had this bad boy set for it:

Cruel War Pike of Quickness
War Pike
Two Hand Damage: 103 - 560
Durability: 12 of 25
Required Level: 66
Required Strength: 165
Required Dexterity: 106
Fingerprint: 0x2c3d6efa
Item Level: 25
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+80% Increased Attack Speed
215% Enhanced Damage
2 Sockets (2 used)
Socketed: Shael Rune
Socketed: Shael Rune

Shael Rune
Required Level: 29
Weapons: +20% Increased Attack Speed
Armor: +20% Faster Hit Recovery
Shields: +20% Faster Block Rate

Shael Rune
Required Level: 29
Weapons: +20% Increased Attack Speed
Armor: +20% Faster Hit Recovery
Shields: +20% Faster Block Rate

Armor was Jewelers something or other plus life suffix, helm was similar socketed prefix plus life suffix, rings/ammys were mana/life/res all, gloves likely had res or str/dex. Boots were 40/40 light res/frw. It can and should be done.

Good luck!