Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rare Longbow worth upping?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Kalaskalle, May 12, 2008.

1. Kalaskalle

Kalaskalle IncGamers Member

Rare Longbow worth upping?

I know this bow is good, but when i compare it to a faith it dosent seem so awesome anymore. So the question is: Is this bow worth upping to elite and socketing with jah + ohm (or something else maybe?)

Wraith fletch
    Longbow

two-hand damage: 11-39 (59-235 if elite)
    Required dexterity: 19 (188 if elite)
    Required strength: 22 (52 if elite)
    Required lvl: 48
    Bow class: fast attack speed [0]

5% chance to cast level 1 apmplify damage on striking
    299% enhanced damage
    Adds 9-28 cold damage
    5% life stolen per hit
    Socketed [2]

So what do all think?

2. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Re: Rare Longbow worth upping?

Faith is the queen of bows as far as I'm concerned, except in the category of style.

I think you've already answered your own question. There will be bows that have more damage output per shot over time compared to your bow. Faith, Windforce, Eaglehorn just to name a few.

Your bow got a really good roll on the Cruel, but it didn't spawn Fool's or Master's, which is what would have made it leet. Still, it managed to spawn the 2os and the CtC Amp, which makes it decent as a bow choice.

Are you planning to use it? If you can't get your hands on a better bow, then sure, why not? It's definately not the biggest damage doer, but it's definately a passable bow.

Judging from your post, it seems you barely have any plans for it. Did you even have a bow build in mind?

And before you consider socketing options, you should at least think of a build for it. Right off the bat, Jah and Ohm seem awful for a bunch of bow builds.

I personally wouldn't upgrade it. But ask yourself whether you want to use it for a specific build. If the answer is yes, then by all means upgrade it, as it is a decent bow.

3. Kalaskalle

Kalaskalle IncGamers Member

Thank you for your reply. Im probably just over excited over the fact that the bow is rare and still powerful. And as you commented its probably more stylish and unique than the usual runewords. Im not really planning on building an bowazon at the moment so im probably on your judging not going to get it upped. Once again thank you for your reply!

4. omgwtfbbqpwned

No problem... but it is really a shame though (no offence). If your bow spawned Fool's... it'll be one heck of a priceless treasure. :shocked: If it did spawn Fool's and you didn't upgrade it, the entire forum would be forming a lynch mob after you. :p

5. fauxgtfour

fauxgtfour IncGamers Member

what's fools again?

6. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

ar per level and max damage per level. not that great on a bow, imo. raw ed% is better.

personally i like that bow, i'd up it and use it.

edit: actually,now that i think about it, i'd up it twice and hope it kept it's 48 level req (dont think it will). i'd then make a mid level dueler with it instead.

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Its level req will go up by 12 for being upgraded twice and if it gets socketed with something with a level req beyond 48, add 12 to that number instead.

8. omgwtfbbqpwned

Hm, you're right. For some reason, I always thought Fool's would outdo Master's, but apparently it's not the case.

This discovery actually makes me quite happy. I was semi-disappointed a rare of mine spawned Master's instead of Fool's a while ago, but suddenly I'm all smiles. :D

9. crawlingdeadman

i thought that was only on uniques that it did the above all the time. i thought it took the highest rlvl (between affixes, base, and socketed items) and added the 5 and 7, but only if the resulting base would be higher than the level req that it currently has. for example the above bow, upped once wouldnt have any rlvl difference because a cedar bow still has way under rlvl 48 (rlvl 23). i've upped a pair of greaves that didnt get the +5 bonus....i thought.... maybe i'm mistaken, but i'm pretty sure they went up in req, but not five more. makes me want to up something now.

10. Pillz

Pillz IncGamers Member

Unfortunately, it happens to rares too, I have a rlvl 79 diadem that I upgraded twice with mods that would make it no higher than rlvl 67.

11. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

The +5 and +7 rules definitely apply to rares as well as uniques when it comes to upgrading.

12. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

That bow is great if you don't want to/can't get duped runes for faith and can't get eaglehorn/windforce. Heck if you're not lvl99 a 40% ED jewel (since you get 1 extra socket) will already make it on par with eagle. While you may be better off with shael, it means that bow is rather similar to eagle's damage output, but lacking the ITD and +25 dex and +1 skills, giving CtC amp instead.

A little extra bonus is the very low str requirement, allowing more dex/vit if you don't use other high str req gear.

While I wouldn't up it to trade it, upping it for personal use, if you meet the conditions, is worth it.

13. crawlingdeadman

thing about upping it "if you cant find better" is the runes you need to up it could go toward trading for the ones you listed. the only reason to up it is to use it for style.

you are way off on the not upping it to trade it too. people go insane for great rares, just ask pillz.

14. Pillz

Pillz IncGamers Member

I love me a good rare :D

The high ED, 2os, and ctc amp make that quite the bow. It's most definitely worth upping and trading.

15. zarirazz

zarirazz IncGamers Member

seconded pillz.

it is a rare that's worth upping. great mods. plus, you can slap it on a merc for melee builds should you are bored with the typical reapers toll merc setup =)