Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rare claw- for what assassin?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Liliel, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Rare claw- for what assassin?

This rare claw dropped from Pindle today, and I then got Larzuk to socket it:

Loath Scratch
    Suwayyah
    One-Hand Damage: 267 to 365
    Durability: 25 of 25
    (Assassin Only)
    Required Dexterity: 89
    Required Strength: 89
    Required Level: 48
    Claw Class - Normal Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0x3775a125
    +361% Enhanced Damage
    +153 to Attack Rating
    +6 to Maximum Damage
    +1 to Blades of Ice (Assassin Only)
    +2 to Mind Blast (Assassin Only)
    +2 to Mana After Each Kill
    Level 3 Stun (6/27 Charges)
    Repairs 1 durability in 20 seconds
    Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (1: 0 used)

The other mods kinda suck, but 361% ED, ethereal, self repair... I couldn't believe it, 316 avg damage on a claw!

So naturally I'm thinking about what kind of build might make good use of this thing. I'm not too familiar with assassins to be honest. In addition, I'm not entirely sure what I should put in the socket, if it should be anything other than the usual shael. Finally, I'm also wondering what it might be worth in trade if I can't come up with a build I like. What do you guys think?

2. SpeedOfLight

SpeedOfLight IncGamers Member

its really a super claw... :thumbsup: never see something like that..in a tiger striker sin must be good. nice find :thumbsup:

3. nobo

nobo IncGamers Member

this could be a great weapon for a whirling assassin...

gratz on that claw, just wow!

4. San

San IncGamers Member

It would be pretty good for a furysin too. They usually have difficulty finding enough high damage one-handers, and since it's a claw, you'll be able to pump claw mastery for the damage+ar, which is good.. if you don't mind giving up some skill points there.

Besides that, basically anything with tiger strike.

5. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

I would LOVE to have that claw for my DC assasin! I've got one nice 370+ ED rare claw, but that....that's just freakin sweet. Probably the best melee claw I've ever seen.

[edit] If you decide you want to trade it, I'd be very interested...although I'm sure I'd get outbid on that high end of a weapon.

6. Disco-neck Ted

Disco-neck Ted The Dark Library

Whoah... definitely a nice claw, and perfect for a WW assassin. As mentioned, it would also be good for a blade fury 'sin, although you'd still need a lot of AR from somewhere else. BF doesn't use weapon durability, so self-repair is not needed, but I suspect most people just toss ethereal claws without it, or sell them for gold.

A lot of people (me included) would pay very well for that.

7. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

good Lord man!!!!!!!!!! that is a thing of exquisite passion...amazing!!!!

8. adeadrat

adeadrat IncGamers Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    Wow...just...wow
    Congrats!

yes i would suggest ww sin :D

9. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

check the ww break points, i think you need 35 ias on a suwayyah to reach the last one. You'll only be able to get 20 :mad:

edit: and if someone proves me wrong, i want it!

10. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

Last ww bp (4 fpa) for an assassin is -13.

<PvP Mode>
    Honestly I think a high damage claw like that would be wasted on a ww sin. WW sins typically have a very low level whirlwind, low enough so that it actually carries an %ED penalty. With only claw mastery and str/dex to provide ED, even a high damage claw like that would do relatively low damage. IMO a fast claw with a lot of OW would be better. If you're PvM and you have a might merc, you might be able to do some decent damage.

11. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Hehe, I think Pindle was feeling guilty about his failure to drop some elite uniques, so he gave me that to compensate. :D

So... BF and WW seems to be the consensus. What kind of claw should I be looking for, to make Chaos? What skills are most valuable?

I've got a build in mind. Let me know what you think.
    20 Claw Mastery
    20 Venom
    20 Dragon Claw
    10 Shadow Master
    10 Weapon Block
    1 Death Sentry
    1 Blade Fury
    1 Dragon Flight
    1 Tiger Strike
    1 Cobra Strike
    Finished lv90 or so

Damage should be sufficient for p4 Hell. WW for crowds, DC (and charges) for single targets, unleechables and mana burners, BF for Oblivion Knights, Stygian Dolls and FE monsters. Can get 40 ias off weapon. WW will be about lv 6 or 7. I'll put a fair amount of points into dex for damage and AR (dex adds damage to claws, right?), around 200 or so. AR for DC should be sufficient, especially with Lavagouts, but I'm not sure about WW. Might possibly get BA merc. Resists could be a problem if I use BoS instead of Fade...

12. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

I'm terrible at playing assassins and always have been, but that build looks pretty solid to me. Looks like it could be fun to play too with a nice variety of skills. :)

13. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

It's not often that you get a claw worthy of using tigerstrike and since the claw has huge damage already why not abuse that tiger strike thing and really get the physical damage rolling.

I would go with a more tigerstrike build like:
    20 Claw Mastery
    20 Venom
    1 Dragon Claw
    10 Shadow Master
    10 Weapon Block
    1 Death Sentry
    1 Blade Fury
    1 Dragon Flight
    20 Tiger Strike
    1 Cobra Strike

Simply put the +300*+145 for the first setup or +1440*+50 for the second setup. With that claw alone your talking a difference of 4801 damage per finishing move before claw mastery is taken into account. however, that means you will have to charge between big hits, where as the dragon claw could be used by itself for 145% each hit.

I would personally go for an all time high physical damage build for a sin with that claw :D

14. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Hmm... I've been considering that, actually. It's kinda hard to decide... It does seem a shame not to abuse TS. But in the time it takes to fully charge TS and unleash it with lv1 DC, a maxed DC would probably kill most enemies. I could just max both and forget about Venom, but that's a loss of about 600 damage for WW and 400 for BF... Or perhaps I could just take 10 out of Venom, and try and get a BF, DS and DF claw for Chaos, for a saving of about 10 pts (but that'd be pretty hard to find...).

15. PsionicAngel

PsionicAngel IncGamers Member

I'd say it has a better use in PvP.

In PvM, I'd still use bartuc's over this claw.

16. PsionicAngel

PsionicAngel IncGamers Member

I've built a fair amount of martial arts assassin in my D2 carreer, and I'll explain some concepts that I think are important in building a sucessful and fun to play Martial Artist.

Crowd Control :
    A merc and a shadow are not enough cover for a martial artist. You will need Cloak of Shadows and Mind blast. Especially with the improved speed of monsters in 1.10.

Speed :
    Claws don't do a lot of damage. This one you have here is exceptionnal, but it still lacks the power of a huge sword, or mega damaging spell of a sorceress. Thus, the assassin compensate with speed. When you hit at 7 fpa with your claw, the difference between a 200 dmg Bartucs vs a 350 dmg rare claw isn't much. Considering Bartucs has much more power in term of stats (+skills,AR bonus,LL,FHR) than this claw, I would still consider Bartucs better.

Durability :
    Martial Artists' claws break very very very fast. Did I said very fast? And at some points in the game (Hell), you'll have to stop and go back to town to wait for your claw to repair itself. That's not really fun, in my opinion.

I hope this clear some questions that you might have, before starting a build specifically for this claw.

On the other side, this claw isn't totally useless.
    Welcome to the world of PvP my friend!
    In PvP, where pure damage is a lot more important than in PvM, this claw is awesome. Ethereal doesn't mean much in a 10 second fight.

If you are a little lost in which build to undertake. I suggest that you read a little in the Assassin forum here (A really really good forum; my previous home before I started lurking here at the SPF)

17. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

If you use trang's gloves you loose 700 venom damage.

If you are looking to save around 10 skill points, why don't you take a lvl 1 Weapon Block and a lvl 1 shadowmaster. A high WB is only needed in PvP, a lvl 1 CoS helps more as the shadowmaster.

18. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

What???

How do you lose poison (venom) damage by using trangs glove the +25% poison damage is on the rate not duration. You gain 25% to your venom when using trangs gloves.

19. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

+x% poison damage with venom works like fire mastery on a melee enchantress in that it's applied twice multiplicatively. You get a 25% boost from trang's when you cast venom, and another 25% boost on top of that when you hit something. Instead of multiplying your total poison damage by 1.25, it multiplies it by 1.25^2, so trang's gloves actually add ~56% to your poison damage.

20. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

That still doesn't explain why you "lose" damage by "using" trangs. You would "gain" damage by "using" trangs, and alot of it.