Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

rare and unique items

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by disturbeddsa, May 30, 2005.

1. disturbeddsa

disturbeddsa IncGamers Member

rare and unique items

Can you guys give me any hint or advice on getting items mention above.

besides equiping 100% finding magic items kinda stuuff

&
    besides killing baal over and over again.

tnx

2. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

Well, you will definitely find plenty of rare items just by playing through the game with small or minimal MF. Unique items are harder to come by this way but you will still come across a bunch in the lifetime of a character.

Equiping a character with MF and repeatedly running a boss is definitely the quickest and easiest way to accumulate rare, set and unique items. Though I wouldn't recommend Baal for starters. Meph is a much easier target, firstly in Nightmare and then later on in hell.

3. Nautilus

Nautilus IncGamers Member

yup, definitely the best way to find uniques and rares is to run a boss over and over again while wearing as much mf as you can. Even bringing your mf to 100% + and just normally questing tends to bring more items to you. Finding good ones are typically harder, but in the end its just a matter of putting in the time.

An alternative method that you might consider is going to the trading forums or the giveaway threads and seeing if anyone else has what you want. There's a lot of players who have a lot of gear that you'd consider amazing sitting banked.

4. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

if you hate mf runs and hate boss running just find a char that can kill many monsters quickly and make sure the population of monsters drop a bit;)

eventually you will find some gear

5. FodderCannoned

FodderCannoned IncGamers Member

if you need some starter mf equipment I can give you some to get your mf well above 100, just tell me what type of character you want to mf with.

6. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

bosses are generally the way to get uniques. wearing MF gear is really the only way to get more than 4 or 5 uniques per act. cheap MF gear includes a 3-4 socket armor with topazes in it, and a 2-3 socket helm with them as well. you other option is giveaways, but if you want self found, you have to work for it. the game isn't going to give them to you just because you want them.

7. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Don't know if it'll help, and it's probably not what you're looking for, but all I can add is a pep-talk. If a pep-talk is the last thing you want, ignore this post :D...

Up until a few days ago I found repeated MF/boss runs to be extremely boring. However, questing in Hell difficulty was also getting pretty boring since I couldn't kill anything without chugging rejuv's left, right & center.

So I decided to bite the bullet and give MF a try. I still found it boring because I was MFing in areas that were too hard for my characters abilities - i.e. the runs were too slow, so I hardly found any gear, let alone decent gear. It turns out, most of my problem with MF was I that I tried to share it with high experience gain. IMO, unfortunately, good experience and good MF are mutually exclusive (atleast, without good gear, they're mutually exclusive - once you get good/uber gear, it probably works a little better).

Since that approach wasn't working, the choices were to say to heck with it (and my hopes of finishing Hell difficulty with this char - lvl 76 barb), or listen to what everyone says and go back to NM to see what would come up. NM Baal still took me 10-15min/run, so even if he had a good drop, it was boring. I went all the way back to NM Meph, and he was a breeze the first couple of times! The 3-5 minute investment seemed like a more reasonable price, and compared to the crappy gear I had, I was getting a keeper item every 2 or 3 runs. I started to collect more & more MF gear, and the drops just kept getting better. I set a MF goal of completing one set (didn't care which). Suddenly the whole process became addictive, and as a result, FUN!

Today I had my first ever 'godly' drop - 5 items, 3 excep uniques, 1 normal unique, 1 set item. All with 430 total MF (me & merc). That drop was a fluke, but I would estimate on average i'm getting 4 items/drop, with 1/20 items unique, 1/15 a set (even a few high-level set items), and 3/4 rares. I've also completed 4 sets total (Clegaws, Isenharts, Berserkers, Sigons - hardly end-game gear, but now my new chars can be setup pretty well).

My advice is to find an area you can run quickly with as much MF gear as you can currently get your hands on, set a quota of 5-10 decent items found, and see what you think. Hopefully by then you'll have some good gear & a feel for MF that makes it less of a chore.... So, I guess I'm telling what you already know ;).

'poops

8. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

... oops, substitute this for final advice ...

My advice is to find an area you can run quickly with as much MF gear as you can currently get your hands on, :eek: IGNORE ALL THE NORMAL MONSTERS AND FOCUS ON BOSSES, set a quota of 5-10 decent items found, and see what you think. Hopefully by then you'll have some good gear & a feel for MF that makes it less of a chore.... So, I guess I'm telling what you already know ;).

9. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

If you want rares of a specific item type, the best way is to gamble them. A gambled item has 10% chance of being rare.

10. NeckRomancer

NeckRomancer IncGamers Member

they also have a chance of being exceptional or elite, and if not, they can be upgraded.

11. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

You haven't been welcomed! What happened... oh you didn't put up a welcome thread (read the faqs and stickies).

Lower kurast has several of the special chests (the ones that are usually glowie & drop tons of items) so always run LK on /players 8. The ones to really hit are the ones in the houses around the campfire, so if you luck up and get 2 campfires, try to keep that map as long as possible.

12. disturbeddsa

disturbeddsa IncGamers Member

guys im kinda confused... ;) im still a noob

I have areally silly question.

what does MF stand for?

Can anyone explain further?

tnx

13. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

MF means Magic Find(ing). There are alot of items in the game which have a percentage to magic finding. Normal blue items are called magic items, on top of that you have rares, sets and uniques. All these items can drop of (allmost) every monster you encounter.
    Having more MF basically means you increase your chance of finding magical (or better) items. Have a look trough the FAQ's on top of the page to get more into dept answers.
    There is an entire MF guide somewhere...
    EDIT: And that somewhere would be here.

14. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

MF is 'magic find'. It comes on many items, including magic, rare, set, and unique items. When you see a mod like "30% better chance of getting magic items" on an item, that is MF.

It's also used as a verb ("I'm going to go MF now") or adjective ("I just had some great MF runs today").

You should read the link that Sint Nikolaas posted, but in a nutshell, more MF means that when an item drops, it has a higher probability of being better. Better is defined by what category it falls into, in this order: low quality, normal, socketed, superior, magic, rare, set, and unique. Your MF will affect drops from monsters, as well as those from chests, stashes, urns, etc, but will not affect gambling in any way (the only factor that affects gambling is your character level). Also, MF works on a diminishing returns formula, so that going from none to 100% yields more dramatic results than going from 100% to 200%. Also be aware that, even without the diminishing returns, MF is not a guarantee. For example, if you have 100% MF, that doesn't mean a given drop will always be magic or better. If the odds of an item being magic or better are only 1%, then adding 100% of 1% means a net chance of 2%.

Lastly, if you're looking for a specific item type, you should know that MF has no effect on the base item that is dropped. Each monster (and chest, urn, etc) has a set of TCs ('treasure classes') that it can drop, with each TC having its own chances. Certain monsters cannot drop from all TCs, which means a monster might be unable to drop the base item you want, even if the monster level is high enough to otherwise drop the item you're looking for.

Best advice I can think of is to slap on as much MF gear as you can without sacrificing too much kill speed or survivability. Remember, if doubling your MF means you kill half as fast, it's not worth it (since killing twice as many baddies means double the odds of good items, but MF doesn't scale like that, due to diminishing returns).

15. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Socketed items are not in this order. Normal and Superior items have 1/3 chance of being socketed.

Everything except low quality items, set items, bows/crossbows, Phase Blades and "of the Ages" items have 5% chance of being ethereal.

16. HBeachBabe

also excluding uniques with a built-in indestructable mod

17. phatbrava

phatbrava IncGamers Member

i thought i've read somewhere that if you wear circlets that can affect gambling...
    am i wrong?

18. cryist

cryist IncGamers Member

i don't know what player seting you are using, but if it's high like p8 then lower it to p3, the killing will get faster thus more drops fro you..

19. phatbrava

phatbrava IncGamers Member

thanx for clarifying that for me!

cheers

20. HBeachBabe

this was a misconception that was perpetrated by a mistype at diabloii.net (or mayb AS) for all of about a minute before a)being correcting and b) not being correcting fast enough for the rumor to hit the realms.

circlets have an inherant ability to get higher magical mods than other items of the same level. what happened was this somehow became mistaken for the ability to get higher mods on other items while wearing a circlet, which is of course, not true. so wear what ever hat you want while gambling, it won't make a difference.