(rant)which runeword restrictions bugs you most?

Flayed One

Diabloii.Net Member
(rant)which runeword restrictions bugs you most?

please, somebody tell me, why did blizzard restrict so many runewords, so that they cannot be made in spears? Not that spearazons would be overpowered, or anything...
really, think about it... all other characters can use all types of weapons with their skills(with an exception of necromancer), yet amazons can only use javelins, or spears. There is no high-physical damage javelin(not in the "grief", "ebotd" or even "death" or "oath" category), so we either have to choose those nice all-round titans, or good for lightning damage t-strokes. Other classes can make some really nice runewords, wich simply we cannot. Most classes use axes or swords - they have "oath" and "death". Why the hell can't we make "oath" spear? would it be overpowered?.. not more, then eOath Berserker Axe.Since most classes beside amazons have very slow attack speed with "poking" weapons, this restriction only hurts amazons. Antoher runeword which would be great if we could make it in spears, would be "crescent moon". Nice all-round runeword which perfectly suits lightning-spearazons needs yet is unavailable to her because it can't be made in spears..."insight" would be very nice too - great damage for it's cost and unlimited mana supply... How about "infinity"? oh come on... it's made for spearazons...

ok... Im not gonna rant about it anymore...:tongue:

which runewords restrictions do you find the most annoying? or just plain stupid?

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
I am not sure how many sockets a spear can get, but how about Passion?
Summoning the HoW is nice, plus you can get Zeal, which is pretty nice. Nice all around rw, especially if made in an exceptional or elite spear.

HiTeknology

Diabloii.Net Member
I am not sure how many sockets a spear can get, but how about Passion?
Summoning the HoW is nice, plus you can get Zeal, which is pretty nice. Nice all around rw, especially if made in an exceptional or elite spear.
Yeah, but I think zeal might ruin the concept of a spear zon anyways, since she would want to use one of her own melee skills?

Shagsbeard

Diabloii.Net Member
Why not think of it as: Why can't these other classes be made as easy as a Java-zon to complete the game using their starting equipment too? The javazon and the skellymancer are probably the only two characters who could (easily) finish the entire game while still wielding their starting weapons.

They don't need rune words because their power comes from their skill trees, not from their items.

MaliusArcus

Diabloii.Net Member
I do slightly agree in one way or another with every post here.

Here is my take on it:

Spearazons (note not a javazon) do lack a lot of good runewords. But keep in mind they get "+3 spear skill" spears, imagine a good runeword in a normal weapon and then add +3 x skill tree to it. One balance issue presented.

Further note, runewords are horribly unbalanced in general. Rattle off a few runewords you would fine useful on a merc, most are polearm. Meaning act 2 merc. Sadly because of this I havent used any other merc since I came back to D2. I would love to use an act 3 merc with infinity on an single element build. Act 3 cold mercs are great utility, but not as good as a act 2 holy freeze merc.

Spear-zons tend to be javazons as well, which are already powerful enough as is (as stated). Adding in uncanny physical damage turns them into killing machines. A met-orb sorc has to accept lower damage to deal with immunes, while a melee char with high physical dmg (PIs are more rare than other immunes, excluding magic) and high elemental damage would be a dangerous foe indeed. CS/LF deals excellent light dmg already, adding more physical damage on top of their great + skills weapons = balance issues out the butt.

If you were to be given the choice of giving up your + jav/spear skill weapons or having access to more runewords which would you take? IMO the +skill weapons are better if only because they are easier to attain.

im tired and sore, typing is getting old

edit: I would like to see more low/mid level rune words, and a few more balanced end game runewords. low level runewords should be more for the untwinked char than anything.

Flayed One

Diabloii.Net Member
@pancakeman - spears can get up to 6 sockets.
@HiTeknology - it's only partially true. Id like to try a "zeal" spearazon once, with D/A/E, becaue with fend I have to skip those skills. Is there a bug with zeal too?...
@Shagsbeard - you're right of course, but you're limiting all amazons builds to a "lightning java" this way. Im not saying she isn't good enough. Im saying that I don't get why there isn't more variety of gear for amazons.
@MaliusMarcus - the thing is, you can still make "BotD" in spears, so a really big physical damage is actually possible to achieve. The thing is, that unlike "Oath", "Death" or even "grief" it's almost impossible to make "BotD" in single player. The +3 skills on spears, isn't such a big advantage, since if you think about it, you can have up to +6 skills on javelins and +2 skills shield. it's not even remotly fair for a spearazon. It's just that for now there is no reason to use spears for lightning amas. If we could make a "crescent moon" spear that would change a bit IMO...

Fluffballer

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd love to see runewords for orbs and daggers. Especially considering the obscene power of White.

Plus magic using classes just feel right using a dagger. Old school D&Dish. Most sorcs have more strength than barbs so they can carry around big ol' honkin' swords and maces and enormous monarch shields.

Harrid

Diabloii.Net Member
I too would like to see more RWs for spears and daggers. Having so many RWs that can be made in x/y/polearms and yet NOTHING that is x/y/spears is something that I find very annoying. And I would like to have more sensible RWs for daggers than Strength and Malice. As it stands, a daggermancer is restricted to pretty much just Blackbog's Sharp and Fleshrender. It'd be kind of cool to have a RW like Voodoo for daggers with mage mods and all sorts of curse procs/charges (not so much for a necro, obviously, but to actually encourage other classes to try daggers).

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh, they can have 6 sockets? Hmmmm...

Have you tried some Honor? It is nowhere near as powerful as, say, a BotD but can be useful if used in an Elite spear. I twinked a sword barb with an Honor CB and a Passion CS, and it worked pretty well. It won't match the awesome power of a dual-eBotDCb, but it is still nice for a poor man like me.