Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[rant]Contact Hour Billing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Yavanna, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

[rant]Contact Hour Billing

News came out today, plastered all over the front of the Fall '04 schedules as if it was a good thing: Lansing Community College is switching from charging per credit-hour to charging per contact-hour.

For those of you who already deal with contact-hour billing, you have my deepest sympathy. For those of you who don't (and may you be spared of this indignity), instead of charging tuition based on how many credits a course is worth, they now charge tuition based on how much time is spent in class.

Meaning that for Organic Chemistry Laboratory, you're charged five credit-hours' worth of tuition for two credit-hours worth of class.

This really screws over premeds, science majors, and everybody else who takes lab or practical classes, which amounts to most of the student body. For most English or foreign language classes, credit-hours are equal to contact-hours, so you pay for what you get. But tuition for science labs, computer programming, music, car repair, physiology - basically anything you can get a half-decent job with has had its tuition doubled or tripled. And most people going to LCC are going because they have no other practical choice. Inner-city kids who could never afford tuition elsewhere, working adults who need to keep learning to keep their jobs, single parents trying to make a better life for their kids...these people aren't rich, pampered snots who see college as a four-year party before real life starts, thankee kindly.

The best part? The Board is insisting it's not a tuition increase.

[/rant]

2. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

It make sense to me for the college to charge based upon the hours they spent.

And you yourself pointed that you should pay for "what you get".

3. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Hmm...that doesn't seem right. Things really suck nuts when you are trying to go to school but money is a problem.

4. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

That really stinks. It most certainly is a tuition increase. I can't think of any instances where tuition would go down since the "standard" classes such as English or History would stay the same, yet lab based classes would go up. And it is worth pointing out that, in my experience, labs aren't monitored by professors anyways. Its always some TA who is being paid in credits and/or discounted tuition and/or a small amount of money.

So if I were to take a distance learning class, would it be free? :lol:

5. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Is the credit-hour fee the same as the contact-hour fee?

6. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

If there is a face-to-face or hybrid version of the distance class, all of them would cost the same for contact hours. There are always face-to-face versions of distance classes. So no. You pay for the contact you're not getting.

Supposedly, course fees in some cases have gone down, but I'd rather shell out thirty bucks as a course fee than three hours' worth of tuition I get no credit for.

Steve_Kow: Yes. You just have to pay for a lot more of them. And the college isn't increasing scholarship money or other financial aid; I checked. Plus full-time/part-time status is still based on credit-hours. So if you pay for fourteen contact hours and get eight credits for it, you are a part-time student and not eligible for as much financial aid as someone paying for and getting fourteen credits. And these people who will be paying full-time and getting credit part-time are those people who can't afford to have these tricks played on them.

7. Kore

Kore IncGamers Member

That sucks. Damn increases in tuition. I blame this on arts students, those guys are just cruising along.