Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rangers in Hell

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by chovenga2, Feb 5, 2004.

1. chovenga2

chovenga2 IncGamers Member

Rangers in Hell

Rangers, with Holy Shock, are they playable in hell?

If I max HS and the 2 synergies i think it comes out to 1-3931 added lightning damage. Which is not so bad, but enough?

Any Rangers mind sharing their views?

And Lightning Immunes, what does the average ranger beat them with? Pure physical damage from bow?

thanks,

2. djafrodust

djafrodust IncGamers Member

i would say crushing blow/a little bit of poison should do the trick.

3. amishamigo

amishamigo IncGamers Member

I'd use holy fire over holy shock and use an exploding bow/xbow with crushing blow. Holy fire damage is added to the fire area and hitting five monsters with 700 damages will be much more effective then hitting one monster with 1-4k, especially if you use crushing blow (Is that still added to the explosion dmg?)

4. Raven-Hood

Raven-Hood IncGamers Member

um, first of all. If you looked at the ranger index (its not complete but still would help answer your questions) you will see that your ranger can double in something. Hence you can have both holy fire and shock or cold or fanat. A holyfire/shock double would be called a Power Ranger, thusly it would not have problems with immunes.

No, crushing blow does NOT stack with exploding arrow. No, poison will not take care of immunes, althought poison and/or prevent monster heal are both highly reccomended mods for a ranger.

Generally a shock ranger would use the fastest bow he can find... rogues bow, for the biggest lightning damage output. This means that you will need a different bow on switch to best utilize your second aura. For more info, look at the ranger index sticky.

All well equipped rangers will be difficult in hell but are viable.
    Poorly equipped rangers will result in getting you stuck around act 4-5

Raven-Hood

5. DistortedRiff

DistortedRiff IncGamers Member

I do about 6400 with a buriza, I use it when I'm iron maidened. I'm not sure how effective it could be, I dont think it shoots fast enough to do very good with, but its a nice switch to shoot something from accross a river/something or when cursed.

6. ZephyrPelgun

ZephyrPelgun Banned

Wouldn't Widowmaker make it really viable since it has guided arrow, or does holy shock have no effect in guided?

7. PallyRanger

PallyRanger IncGamers Member

I went the route of the Storm Ranger(freeze and shock) for my current ranger build(lvl 86 now) and I am in hell right now. Raven is right, act 4 was very very tough and act 5 is worse. It took me about 10 tries just to clear the bloody foothills. Now given, I do not have super-fantastic gear(use what I find) and I am a casual player(about 2hrs a week), but I do have a great deal of fun playing rangers.

If you are looking for the "I kill Baal in 2 secs with my l33t gear" kind of setup, I dont think a ranger is the build for you. But, if you are looking for a challenge and like to actually "play" the game, build a ranger and have a go at it. I higly recommend the sticky guides in this forum for rangers...Very good reading.

8. chovenga2

chovenga2 IncGamers Member

I really appreciate the replies. I might actually try a Ranger, I have been convinced.

thanks!

9. Raven-Hood

Raven-Hood IncGamers Member

The problem with widowmaker is that by the time you can use it, if you are using the ranger properly, you already know how to aim. Therefore having a much faster bow, like rogues bow, will help you a lot more.

Raven-Hood