Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ranger/summoner - druid

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by SnakeEye85, Feb 16, 2004.

1. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

Ranger/summoner - druid

Some days ago i was playing in a MP game were someone started a Summoner druid and i kinda liked the ide. I don´t know what build he will be using or if it will actually work after normal, but i still liked the ide.

So now i have started a druid, PoisOn, and he is just about to kill duriel in normal. I was thinking of only using skills in the summoning- tree but that cyclone armor is nice....

i was thinking something like this:

Max Grizzly
    Max Dire wolves (synergy for grizzly)
    Max Spirit wolves (synergy for grizzly)
    Max HoW
    Rest into Poison creeper ( ? )

will use a might merc to give me, the grizzly and the merc higher damage.

Im not really sure on what eqqupment i should use, would it be better with + skills and make my summons stronger or should i go with more dmg for me?

For bow i was thinking either Eaglehor (ITD), Widowmaker (guided arrow) or something else? Combined with lots of poison dmg charms.
    What about rest of my gear, should i go for + skills or leech/res/pdr etc?
    Any other bow you think would do better?

If i use Eagle for the ITD, then should i still pump dexterity for higher dmg cause i won´t need AR ?

I´m right now lvl 24 and killing stuff easily at players 8 with a 3socket hunters bow (PtopazPtopazPtopaz) :)

2. BeornWolf

BeornWolf IncGamers Member

3. Liter Soul

Liter Soul IncGamers Member

I'd suggest the rest into Raven, not Poison Creeper. The more hits they get, the more monsters are blinded. I was the one who started the druid. :D

4. SnakeEye85

cool! :) how is he doing?
    i don´t like ravens, i like poison creeper :)

Beorn- thanks!

any other comments?

5. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

I have a build exactly like this one negotiating Act 3 Nightmare at the moment, and his weapon of choice is a Shael'ed Buriza--with maxed HoW and a Might merc his damage stands at around 650-2200, which isn't too shabby! I'm currently boosting his Strength so he can upgrade the Buriza, assuming I ever find the appropriate runes to do so.

The one problem I can see looming is Physical Immune monsters. I've already had to deal with one (Stone Skin ghost boss in the Arcane Sanctuary) and it was VERY slow indeed--my merc and my summons don't do non-physical damage, so pretty much my only source of damage was the 32-196 cold damage on the Buriza and the elemental damage on some charms I was carrying. With Physical Immune being a pretty common mod in Hell I currently have no idea how to get round this limitation, short of finding a Hellrack and putting it on weapon switch.

Incidentally, at the moment I have level 15 Spirit Wolf, level 20 Dire Wolf, level 3 Grizzly and level 20 Heart of Wolverine, and even when I'm using Dire Wolves for tanking (three targets to divert attention from my merc rather than one) I hardly ever have to recast them. I suspect this will be more of an issue in Hell, though!

6. SnakeEye85

i will probarbly keep a reapors as second wep for my act2 merc when (if?) i get to hell, for the decrapify for PI´s.

The buriza is a really cool bow but i prefer using bows only :)

7. Liter Soul

Well, you could keep a high poison damage weapon on switch to help deal with PI's.

8. Vorbiss

Vorbiss IncGamers Member

I suggest only 5-10 points into dogs(spirit wolves), and rest not into PC, but into Rabies. Using one carrion Wind ring will give you lvl 21 synergie for the rabies. This is similar to the Marowwalk feature, but lvl 33 is far from 21. ;)
    IMHO this isn't cheating, but whatever you decide. :)

9. BubbleTough

BubbleTough IncGamers Member

I have a Hunter Druid, and had one in 1.09 as well. I strongly suggest not putting any points in HoW. I would use Oak Sage, as with the synergies your Bear gets from the wolves this will make him a great tank. And don't forget you can always get a might merc too, so that will make up for the loss of damage your Bear would have. The bonuses on HoW aren't that superb anyways.

My equipment right now is this:

Kuko (or pretty purple bow) w/ Shael
    Crow Caw w/ 15% IAS jewel
    Raven Frost
    Rare Ring w/ random mods and stuff
    Aldurs Advance (the boots)
    Magnus' Skin
    Ammy w/ resists
    Razortail
    Face of Horror

It's not very 'uber', but I twinked him to my full abilities. If I had a Stealskull then I could hit 10 FPS, I just need 5 more! I wouldn't suggest going for 9 FPS as you would need one heck of a lot of IAS, and IAS jewels to accomplish that. The AR problem is pretty easily solved with Kuko, as exploding arrows ignore defence. Kuko also solves Physical Immunes fairly easily. If I had Gore Riders I would be using them, and I've tried cubing but haven't gotten anything good yet. But what you are looking for is a nice set of Blood Gloves or Safety Gloves that has IAS and Leech.

Max Grizzly, Dire Wolves, I suggest not maxing Spirit wolves, then Oak Sage. That will leave you plenty of skills to put into Raven, or an Elemental Skill like Volcano, of course this would make him a Huntermentalist :teeth: .

Stats to look for on items are Piercing, Chance to Make Monsters Flee, Crushing Blow, Hit Blinds Target, Increased Attack Speed, Knockback, Life Leech (although if you use Kuko, you cannot leech off the explosions).

It is a very fun build, and once you max the neccessary skills the rest of the customization is up to you. 9 FPS Kuko :love: . Hope this helped out a bit :)

10. SnakeEye85

Thanks for the advice everyone!

about using rabies/elemental skills, well im going 100% summoner tree so nothing into that. I have already started puting points into HoW(around 10 or so), maybe a misstake? But the one who wrote that guide beornwolf linked me to sais max both HoW and Oak....dunno but i think i will atleast keep on puting points into HoW since i already started it.

About HoW + might merc, how does that work? Do my summons get both bonus or can they only have one of them at a time?

11. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

Bubbletough: What's your email? I've got a Stealskull I'm not going to use. :)

12. BubbleTough

SnakeEye, I am assuming the reason why Fenris suggested putting points in both is because the bug in 1.09 didn't allow you to get bonuses past Level 20. Therefore if you were to put 20 points into a Spirit, and you already have +10 to skills it would be a waste. So a lot of people went 10/10 or took into account the amount of +skills they had. Now in 1.10 you get the bonuses past level 20, so it is better to concentrate on 1 Spirit. It is fine if you max both, and just switch between the two in different situations. But I would rather concetrate on one and put the remaing points into Raven :)

@wildjinn: Thanks for the offer, but my Hunter is a ladder character at the other place :) .

13. Ravenforce3

Ravenforce3 IncGamers Member

Consider HoW to be an aura for this. Yes, they stack.

If you are looking for a bow, consider the usual suspects for Zons: Witchwild, Kuko Shakaku, etc. Kuko, IMO, is an awesome bow for it's level.

14. factotum

How on earth do you actually hit anything? With maxed HoW my Hunter has an AR of around 3300, and even then he's starting to dip below 95% chance to hit on a lot of monsters!

15. BubbleTough

I'll be using a Raven Frost, I am currently using Magnus' Skin, and not to mention Kuko's exploding arrows have ITD :) .

16. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

aha. well, then i wouldn't be so useful. :) good luck with him.

17. factotum

So long as whatever you're shooting at isn't Fire Immune, of course... :)

18. Liter Soul

Are you guys playing on /players 1 or something? For the short time I used Kuko it didn't seem to do anywhere near enough damage to make it worth using after normal difficulty on /players 8.

My Hunter is using Blackdog's and a decent shield, keeping up his blocking, putting the rest to vitality, and doing fine. I use Spirit Wolves as my primary, not Dire or Grizzly, and they're working fine for me in Act 4 Nightmare. They don't have as much life as the Grizzly all together, but their damage adds up to roughly the Grizzly's. I find it much more useful to have 5 recastable targets than just one tank. They're cheap, do decent damage (like I said, about the same as Grizzly when added together), recastable, plus you can have them attack, get the enemies' attention, then recast a couple behind them making a sandwich and keeping more enemies occupied. I'm going to try going through the entire game with them as my primary. As for my attack, with Blackdog's, I can run around the battle and hit everything once, slowing it to 50%. I'm considering putting some more 'hit slows target' gear on him to really give my wolves an advantage. Plus, so far, the poison damage on Blackdog's has dealt with physical immunes.

I have a question, however. The display on Blackdog's is 488 poison damage over 10 seconds. However, in my character screen, my minimum damage is around 400. Does that 488 actually vary, or is the damage on the weapon incorrect?

19. SnakeEye85

when i put on kuko @ lvl 33 somewere in act5 nm then it got ridicilous (sp?) easy to kill stuff @ players 8. Somewere in act2 nm it got a bit harder and i started using a witchwild (shaelshael) instead of the kuko. Love the magic arrow (no need for arrows). Im not sure what bow i will use as a endgame bow, think i have to try some more alternatives before i make up my mind.

There is 2 bows im thinking about except for the witchstring

Eagle - good dmg, ITD
    widowmaker - ITD, guided arrows, deadly strike

the widow have less dmg but guided arrow and DS is cool!

Im not planning on doing massive dmg myself with my bow, then i would go amazon instead of druid. Im more of a supporter for my summons, pick out bad enemyes, using knockback on some nasty guys, killing shamans etc. Though i think i can do some damage with a good bow, some DEX pumping, and lots of elemental dmg charms/max dmg charms.

I like the fact that you will have both dire wolves and grizzly maxed cause sometimes i want a big tank with massive life and good dmg (grizzly). But sometimes i prefer having more minions (more tanks) if there is lots of enemyes, like now when im in ac3 NM, then i prefer using those dire wolves.

This char is also cool for MP games with a maxed HoW and the grizzly that you can summon into crowded rooms or to other platforms (arcane for example).
    My biggest problem right now isn´t killing stuff (players 8 act3nm), but it´s my low life. Have like 300 life and even the smallest enemye can kill me fast if they get close. And i think it might be a big problem later in hell cause i won´t have a sheild (no block). I guess i just have to be more carefull and realize im not a tank, i have minions for that....

Well so far it´s one of my funniest char i ever played and im looking forward to se if i will actually stick with him to patriarch unlike many of my other chars.

20. SideShowBob

SideShowBob IncGamers Member

An upgraded Twitchthroe would also work
    quite well with this build.