Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ranger Paladin Development Thread

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by neumein, Nov 7, 2006.

1. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Ranger Paladin Development Thread

>> HP_Sauce:

this thread just had to be created, well, before you did it anyways. =P

Onto the serious part of this thread. I'm looking to make a ranger paladin. I did a bit of number crunching, pulling of hair, and general indecision, trying to figure out what to do. I have come up with three (ish) options.

1. Holy Freeze / Holy Shock combo

From what I've been reading, this appears to be somewhat more popular, so long as you get a fast bow.

2. Fanaticism

I played around with some nuimbers last night, and if I choose to go this way, he could actually put out some half decent damage. Add in some pierce, open wounds, and deadly strike for good measure, just to round him out.

3. Harmony runeword / High elemental damage bow / both use conviction

This setup seems nice too, and I don't really have to worry about AR, as their defense is shot to pieces

Q: Which of these three setups would you recommend, and why?
    Q2: How much cold/lightning damage is added to my attacks when using holy freeze / holy shock respectively?
    Q3: Can you recommend any other weapons/setups I have missed?

2. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

Widowmaker is the best endgame bow for any non-amazon/non-rogue. Guided Arrow means you don't have to aim or worry about AR, plus you can shoot from around corners at dangerous enemies. I'd go with Holy Freeze/Holy Shock, since you might as well play a bowazon if you're just going to do physical damage with Fanaticism.

For early-midgame, you can go Holy Freeze with a Wizendraw bow (has -35% enemy cold resist, IIRC).

3. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

Widow is great I like Kuku with HFire,HFreeze use HFreeze as a backup with a wepean switch as backup . Fanatiscm is great as a second skill also you could up a buriza for lotsa damage

4. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Another interesting option to consider is the Demon Machine (or Kuko) and Holy Fire combination. Holy fire isn't the strongest aura, but I'm pretty sure the damage is carried in the explosion, giving you a nice area of effect skill. Then you can pick Holy Shock, Holy Freeze, or even fanatasism as a backup.

5. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys (and EUs). I recall hearing somewhere that explosion carries holy fire damage, but I'll play around tonight, and see what happens. And who cares about damage, I get to carry a big pink bow! How masculine!

6. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

I'm in a bit of a hurry so I'll just answer the one question quick and then be back

Unsynergized:
    Holy Freeze adds 185-190
    Holy Shock adds 1-936

Synergized with Resist Cold and Resist Lighting
    Holy Freeze adds 740-760
    Holy Shock adds 1-3182

So synergizing them is deffinetly required.

It gets a bit better when you get about 10 or so points into salvation
    Holy Freeze adds 869-892
    Holy Shock adds 1-3556

Reasonable damage in hell on /p1, but not a build for everyone.

If you add in a reasonable amount of +skills things get better. Lets say 1 from a helm, 2 from an amulet, and one from armour.

So +4 all skills
    Holy Freeze adds 1198-1221
    Holy Shock adds 1-4560

+ skills deffinetly will help this build.

-hps

7. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Thanks dude!

Holy Shock + Zeal = Goodness. Mmmm, fried demon.

Keep the ideas coming.

-SoK

8. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

just remember zeal +bow= nope

9. lancero

lancero IncGamers Member

I have been using holy fire/holy freeze on my ranger.

Holy fire damage carries on kuko's initial hit and on the explosion for double the fun. The explosive arrow/holy fire combo is very effective on tightly pack crowds.

Holy freeze is good for a back up skill, as the slowed monsters are much easier to pick off, and are easier to run from if needed.

Either way you will need to synergize these skills to get good effects.

Edit: There is/was a good ranger guide on the paladin forums that discusses all of this, posted by rane I think.

10. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Oops, typo. I meant to say Holy Shock +Fast Bow = fried demon. At time of posting, I was thinking about making a tesladin, which is where the zeal came from

Aw well...

EDIT: I'm going to start up a zealot now. Their power is tempting
    EDIT2: Lancero, thanks for the advice. Welcome to the forums! I recommend you make an introduction thread, read the FAQ for what I'm on about.

11. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

Just for fun and because I'm bored inbetween classes.

with +7 all skills (2 helm, 1 each ring, 1 belt, 2 armour) and +13 Offensive Auras (3 ammy, 10 skillers)

Damge is:
    Holy Feeze adds 3028-3052
    Holy Shock adds 1-9861

*slobbers*

-hps

12. aitrus

aitrus IncGamers Member

Funny thing, I just started pally ranger... have 5 offensive skillers with no real use so this seemed interesting...

Basically my plan is no combat skills, holy shock + holy freeze (synergized of course) with Widowmaker... looks like fun :grin:

13. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

A Holy Fire paladin is a blast in my experience. He's very quick to get off the ground untwinked and cruises through Normal effortlessly. The looming problem is of course fire immunes- a smattering in NM, which goes pretty well, but then Hell and you need a backup plan or a big budget of Lower Resist charges.

Twinked you can take advantage of the unique bows with explosive arrows, as mentioned above. Raven Claw is a great bow for a Holy Fire paladin- you can use it at low levels and the Holy Fire damage is carried by the explosions. Then Kuko, which adds piercing and then Demon Machine and that's a good progression. The other bows that have exploding arrows (Hellcast, Blood Raven's Charge) won't cut it for a Holy Fire ranger paladin.

Piercing helps a great deal with exploding arrows- Kuko has 50% pierce and Demon Machine has 66%, and both do better in conjunction with Razortail in my experience, particularly against mobs like cows. One way to understand piercing better is not to think about the chance to pierce but instead the chance to be stopped. That is, 85% pierce doesn't sound that bad compared to 95% pierce, but really there is quite a difference if you think about it as 15% chance for the arrow to stop versus 5% chance. In a mob of cows where basically they line up forever, 85% pierce would hit an average of 6.67 cows in a line versus 20 for 95% pierce, which is quite a nice chain of explosions.

14. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

pierce with explosion is very nice especially if using a staff with enchant charges on top of your holy fire as the fire damage isnt strait but multiplied by the explosion the explosion can end up doing near triple the damage of the actual hit then you multiply both the hits and explosions against the monsters actually hit using pierce, fire rangers make cows go away really fast
    nice way to go also though for both fun and style points is HolyShock for backup in hell as holyshock is also uber powerful as Hp_Sauce has proven

15. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Well... I've got a Ravenclaw in my stashes, so my holy fire / holy shock / ranger paladin shall be born! And he shall be called nothing less than...

"Amusing_Title"

I'm serious. That's his name.

-SoK

16. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

keep us updated rangers are one of my favorite builds