Ranger Hammerdin ...

BudaNET

Diabloii.Net Member
Ranger Hammerdin ...

Hi pplz.
I'd like to build a Ranger pala who uses blessed hammer on second gear.
What do I have:
All the bows and crossbows, also some cruel hydrabows and other elite bows, except the WF.
I dont have almost any runes to make good runewords.
All other elite uniques for armor type are present.
For rings and amy mara, or some crafted good items.

So is it possible with this eq to build a viable, strong pala with some good killing power.

P.S. I do really like the llok of a pala with bow and fana :yep:

Dreamsmith

Diabloii.Net Member
BudaNET said:
So is it possible with this eq to build a viable, strong pala with some good killing power.
Viable? Yes. Strong? Well, it's a hammerdin, so yeah. He's gonna be weak on the ranger side, however. With anything but the most powerful of bows, Fanaticism is significantly weaker than any of the elemental auras as far as added damage goes. With the best of bows, Windforce, it's about on par with Holy Freeze, save that it's much more erratic (it adds 130-2040 damage using Windforce at clvl 99 with Fanaticism at slvl 20 -- average is about the same as Holy Freeze, but it's not as consistent). OTOH, the speed boost from Fanaticism helps make up for that (35% SIAS at slvl 20 -- that's Skill IAS, which isn't subject to the "diminishing returns" formula that normal IAS is), but only partially.

These reservations aside, I'd say it's a good idea. At least I hope so, since I'm working on building one myself, having noted that after maxing Hammer and its synergies (and Concentration), one still has 25 skill points to work with, enough to max Fanaticism, and you've already maxed BA for the Hammer, so you can get a full Fanatical Ranger build and a full Hammerdin build without having to skimp on either side, and still have 5 points to spare on miscellaneous skills.

Of course, given the killing power of the Hammer, one has to wonder just how often is this character going to be using his bow. But at the very least, it's a good backup strategy for dealing with Magic Immunes...

Plus it'll keep the char viable after patch 1.11 comes along and makes Blessed Hammer a timered spell... :lol:

djafrodust

Diabloii.Net Member
if a hammerin is a mage, and a bow user is a ranger...does that mnake this build a....

[drum roll]
Manger?

ill be here all week folks, drinks in the back.

Dreamsmith

Diabloii.Net Member
djafrodust said:
if a hammerin is a mage, and a bow user is a ranger...does that mnake this build a....

[drum roll]
Manger?
Possibly "rage"? :scratch:

Actually, I've just been calling mine a "Hammerite Ranger", being something of a Thief fan. (The Hammers, or Hammerites, are a religious order that worship the Master Builder.)

"The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast, and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee."
-- The Hammer Book Of Tenets

gedda-d-e

Diabloii.Net Member
Dreamsmith said:
Of course, given the killing power of the Hammer, one has to wonder just how often is this character going to be using his bow. But at the very least, it's a good backup strategy for dealing with Magic Immunes...
Since Hammers pierce Undead and demons there is only one monster in the game a Hammerdin cant kill. And he is somewere on the kurast causeway or something to where one does not come alot :)

Go for a pure ranger, thats where the fun is.