Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Randy Johnson: Temporary Slump or Washed Up?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by giantpinkbunnyhead, Jun 2, 2005.

1. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

Randy Johnson: Temporary Slump or Washed Up?

For the baseball folks here...

Randy Johnson is my favorite ball player, and has been since 1992, when no one yet knew who this guy was. I've followed his career closely, met him, watched him pitch, and collected his cards aggressively enough that I have the 3rd largest known collection of Randy Johnson cards in the world.

He's always been a very dominating pitcher, even squeezing off a perfect game last year. But this year, he has been mediocre at best. When the first few games of the year didn't go so well for him, I chalked it up to his new team and his new stadium. But now, he's started roughly 10 games and has not been spectacular; his ERA is only so-so, and he's not been striking out batters anywhere near as often. He's set a number of career-worsts and just yesterday, lost to the Royals... the ROYALS! Worst team in baseball currently.

It can be argued that with the Yankees' inconsistent performance, Randy hasn't been able to count regularly on run support, but with an ERA above 4, he would need more than just a few runs per game. In Randy's past seasons, he's had minor slumps but did not pitch this poorly for this long at any time, not even after his back surgery in 1996.

Randy's got just what he wanted... He wanted to play for the Yanks, and he's got his chance to get another World Series ring within the few good years he is likely to have remaining.

So what is the deal? Do you think he's just in a slump? Do you think he's starting to "get too old for this"? Mind you, he dominated up until the very end last season; however this is turning into a loooong slump too.

I'll support Randy even if his ERA shoots up to 10 and loses 20 in a row. But in looking through the baseball literature, it seems no one has questioned Randy's performance this season but me.

2. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

It's probably a combination of things. Age being one of them, but new players to the Yankees always start off slow for some reason. I think it's because they try and over do it and wind up messing themselves over. Once Randy starts to relax and throw the way he usually does he'll be ok and I still see him being a 15+ game winner with an ERA under 3.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I would defend the Royals, being from KC and all, but they really do suck. We just won't put any money into the team. I think the paper said the goal this year was to win 30 games.

4. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

The Diamondbacks were wise to get rid of him! He is "over-the-hill" now and I don't think he will show any consistency from now on. Perhaps a good game now and then. In New York, he is just one of many high paid big names and I don't think that helps with one's confidence and image. Randy is ego driven and he doesn't have that "star" status in New York like he did here. Meanwhile, Vasquez is pitching well for the D-Backs and I don't think the local fans here are missing Randy at all.

5. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

I fear you may be right, but what I wonder about is, had he stayed in AZ, would his performance be better? If so, would that mean he isn't over-the-hill after all? It's tough to break down all the factors. But one thing I do know, is that Randy is not ego-driven...but he does have an almost dangerously high desire to win. I think perhaps the NY environment is providing more detriment than his age. But if Randy gets back into his groove, I think he'll quickly pull even with Jeter and A-Rod in terms of star status.

bigd72, if he can win 15 with an ERA under 3, I'd be thrilled. He's not really giving up many more hits than usual; just more homers... I think if he can control that fastball as he used to, he could dial that ERA down quick. He still throws 95-96 with that thing.

6. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

I would have to say his best days are behind him. Completely over the hill? I don't think so, but I do not see more then one or two seasons left in him.

7. Puck Nutty

Puck Nutty IncGamers Member

I think age is part of it, but I also think it may be psychological.

Going from Montreal to Seattle to Arizona and now New York...I wonder if he can't take the pressure associated with being a Yankee? This is the first time he has been in a situation like wearing the pinstripes in Yankee Stadium. He wouldn't be the first guy to crack under the pressure.

Remember the first day he arrived in New York? Remember the way he shoved that cameraman? I found that interesting. I remember wondering if he was nervous and lashing out at the first guy to get in his way.

Then again, he has pitched in big game situations before, so maybe I'm just full of it. :lol:

8. LordQuas

LordQuas IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure his johnson will always be quite randy.

Oops... wrong thread.